DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To the point:

1) The measurements on the diagram spec sheets for speakers (referring to size)...are they in MM?

2)Tweeter plates for majority of raw tweeters, are they typically that big and why?

3)Is there a good thread to read about bitrates and getting the most quality out of say youtube to mp3 and then converting?

Aside from that, first time delving into raw, any critiques for this set-up?

Highs
ScanSpeak D3004/6020 or
SB Acoustics SB26STCN

I like the scans due to their smaller size

Mids
ScanSpeak D7608/9200 3" or
Infinity Kappa Perfect 300M

I like the infinity

Woofer
I'd like to utilize a Seas, but in my price range they are all 8 ohm

So:

ScanSpeak 18W/4434G 7" or
SB Acoustics 17CRC35 or 17MFC35 or 17RNX2C35

leaning towards the SB MF poly cone

will be all sealed enclosures

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
To the point:

1) The measurements on the diagram spec sheets for speakers (referring to size)...are they in MM?

2)Tweeter plates for majority of raw tweeters, are they typically that big and why?

3)Is there a good thread to read about bitrates and getting the most quality out of say youtube to mp3 and then converting?

Aside from that, first time delving into raw, any critiques for this set-up?

Highs
ScanSpeak D3004/6020 or
SB Acoustics SB26STCN

I like the scans due to their smaller size

Mids
ScanSpeak D7608/9200 3" or
Infinity Kappa Perfect 300M

I like the infinity

Woofer
I'd like to utilize a Seas, but in my price range they are all 8 ohm

So:

ScanSpeak 18W/4434G 7" or
SB Acoustics 17CRC35 or 17MFC35 or 17RNX2C35

leaning towards the SB MF poly cone

will be all sealed enclosures
I like ScanSpeaks, but I am not sure that they are needed for the highest quality YouTube source?
I am not even sure what a high quality YouTube is...

My SS are dimensioned in mm.

Your midbass will likely be where most of the power gets consumed.
These days using an 8ohm tweeter would be easier than using an 8ohm woofer.

(I have an amp that is rated at 75w for the 4 channels into 8 ohms, but it is an older amp... Phass).

I would suggest you consider the woofer's and amp's compatibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like ScanSpeaks, but I am not sure that they are needed for the highest quality YouTube source?
I am not even sure what a high quality YouTube is...

My SS are dimensioned in mm.

Your midbass will likely be where most of the power gets consumed.
These days using an 8ohm tweeter would be easier than using an 8ohm woofer.

(I have an amp that is rated at 75w for the 4 channels into 8 ohms, but it is an older amp... Phass).

I would suggest you consider the woofer's and amp's compatibility.
When you youtube to mp3 you take any song (video) that is on youtube and run the link through a converter, which converts the video file to mp3 or mp4 format. Some of the converters allow you to select the bitrate you want to convert to, i.e. 128 or 256, etc.

I just do that, download the file, copy it to my iTunes and then load it on my iphone.

I started to read about this sort of thing, but wasn't sure if there was a bona fide thread about source music quality.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
When you youtube to mp3 you take any song (video) that is on youtube and run the link through a converter, which converts the video file to mp3 or mp4 format. Some of the converters allow you to select the bitrate you want to convert to, i.e. 128 or 256, etc.

I just do that, download the file, copy it to my iTunes and then load it on my iphone.

I started to read about this sort of thing, but wasn't sure if there was a bona fide thread about source music quality.
This doesn't do any good.

If the file is at 128kbps, and you convert it to a lossless format like FLAC, or a 320kbps mp3, you simply get a copy of the 128kbps file. You cannot add the information that was removed in order to get a better quality file. That information was lost when the original music was converted to 128kbps. If you want a higher quality version than the 128kbps file, you have to start with a higher quality version. You cannot get a better quality version from a poor quality file.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This doesn't do any good.

If the file is at 128kbps, and you convert it to a lossless format like FLAC, or a 320kbps mp3, you simply get a copy of the 128kbps file. You cannot add the information that was removed in order to get a better quality file. That information was lost when the original music was converted to 128kbps. If you want a higher quality version than the 128kbps file, you have to start with a higher quality version. You cannot get a better quality version from a poor quality file.
?

It doesn't start at 128, that was just an example of what you can convert the video file to, but some converters give you the option of going higher. I was just wondering if there was a better way. Consistent would be a better word as sometimes the converter will let you only do 128 and other songs can go higher, so my library is all over the place.

It's free, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but if I had to pay for more consistent quality, I'd be ok with that.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
?

It doesn't start at 128, that was just an example of what you can convert the video file to, but some converters give you the option of going higher. I was just wondering if there was a better way. Consistent would be a better word as sometimes the converter will let you only do 128 and other songs can go higher, so my library is all over the place.

It's free, so I guess I shouldn't complain, but if I had to pay for more consistent quality, I'd be ok with that.
Ok, maybe I'm not understanding your question. You cannot convert a lesser quality file into a higher quality file, that's my point. If the file is 128kbps, then converting it to a different format will not improve the quality. Extracting the audio from youtube isn't going to give you very good sound quality. I think youtube only uses 128kbps audio, so if you're trying to get music by taking it from youtube, you're stuck with crap (which is fair if you aren't paying for the music).

If you pay for youtube premium, you may get better quality on some videos, but I'm not sure about that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
?

Ok, maybe I'm not understanding your question. You cannot convert a lesser quality file into a higher quality file, that's my point. If the file is 128kbps, then converting it to a different format will not improve the quality. Extracting the audio from youtube isn't going to give you very good sound quality. I think youtube only uses 128kbps audio, so if you're trying to get music by taking it from youtube, you're stuck with crap (which is fair if you aren't paying for the music).

If you pay for youtube premium, you may get better quality on some videos, but I'm not sure about that.
Agree 100%

YouTube is such a HORRIBLE quality source, its completely pointless to even waste time with it.

OP - you are looking to spend money on equipment to end up worse off then you started. Your library would sound hideous with better equipment, really bringing out how bad it is.

It's a never ending battle. You'll be unhappy, leading to more spending, leading to being worse off again etc....

When the problem itself is just barely listenable audio quality.

I wouldn't bother. You wont be happy.

Either save the money and get actual decent music from a good source, or if you're dead set on new equipment, dont cripple it with such sub-par source files from blechtube

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your library would sound hideous with better equipment, really bringing out how bad it is.
^^This is something that I've noticed - as I increase the quality of my audio gear, the poorly recorded music sticks out more... The well recorded music sounds freaking awesome though. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree 100%

YouTube is such a HORRIBLE quality source, its completely pointless to even waste time with it.

OP - you are looking to spend money on equipment to end up worse off then you started. Your library would sound hideous with better equipment, really bringing out how bad it is.

It's a never ending battle. You'll be unhappy, leading to more spending, leading to being worse off again etc....

When the problem itself is just barely listenable audio quality.

I wouldn't bother. You wont be happy.

Either save the money and get actual decent music from a good source, or if you're dead set on new equipment, dont cripple it with such sub-par source files from blechtube
I kind of figured, which is why I was asking. What's the platform nowadays for decent quality music...doesn't have to be the super duper best, but good.

·
Registered
838 Posts
there are multiple threads on this site with the information you are looking for,youll probably be better off researching it here than waiting for people to answer you

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I kind of figured, which is why I was asking. What's the platform nowadays for decent quality music...doesn't have to be the super duper best, but good.
Really, if you want high quality music, buy the CD and rip it into whatever file format you want. I think Tidal streams at 320kbps, they may do lossless as well. I think Spotify can do 320kbps too. If you really want the best possible sound quality buy the albums.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Really, if you want high quality music, buy the CD and rip it into whatever file format you want. I think Tidal streams at 320kbps, they may do lossless as well. I think Spotify can do 320kbps too. If you really want the best possible sound quality buy the albums.
Just like herbs for the thanksgiving stuffing, this is...
^sage advice^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts