DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it doesn't make sense, that's why I need your help.

This is what I'm workin with:
06 Honda Pilot EX
HU: Premier DEH-P490IB
Amp: Sundown SAE-1200D
Sub: IDMAX 12" D2v3

She (my gf) was running a Fosgate P200.2 amp bridged w/a Fosgate 12" 250W rms sub. The distortion was not present with her Fosgate setup, but her sub has been comin apart for a year, so in the meantime, I put my amp and sub inside - and now, distortion.

If I turn the sub "off" at the deck or even turn the amp gain all the way down, I don't hear distortion at all. From this point, I'll turn up the deck to a fairly loud, listenable level and go to the amp and raise the gain to a satisfactory level. I come back up to the driver seat and hear the dash speakers distorting in the midrange notes :freak:

Am I using a high-pass for the front speakers? Yes
Does it matter? No. The front speakers don't distort without it.
Am I sure it's the front speakers distorting and not the sub? Yes, there isn't any distortion coming from the sub, whatsoever.
Have I tried different crossover settings at the amp for ****s and giggles? Yes
Am I using sub out from the deck to the amp's input? Yes

The lower the amp gain is, the higher I can turn up the deck. The higher the amp gain is, the lower the deck's volume must be to prevent distortion in the front speakers.

Is the amp back-feeding? Is the amp faulty? What's causing this? What should I test (w/volt-ohm meter, etc)?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
what is the voltage at the amplifier and battery? if you are pulling the voltage too low for the deck to use its internal amplifier, it will distort. internal "deck power" is not meant to be played loud. more than 1/2 way up and you will be playing with fire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I was thinkin for a second.. that the amp was stealing all the juice for the sub and leaving very little for the fronts. I thought against it when I didn't notice headlight dimming and since it also happens while driving (alternator spinning at higher rpm). Glad to know this is still a possibility. I'll measure voltage when she gets home. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts