DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the website and I'm looking for some help on my personal vehicle.
Vehicle:
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab LTZ. Non-Bose, Non Centre Console.

I went to 2 shops in my town and they wrote me up 2 complete different quotes. I'm looking for a full truck stereo system that won't break the bank, but also I wont be cheaping out on.

I'm wondering what you guys would recommend and why? I listen to mostly country, rock and metal. Mostly anything except hip hop and rap.

Shop 1:
- JL C3-650 x2 (Front with the tweeters, rear with coaxials)
>75 W RMS 4 Ohm
- JL 10W3v2-2 (Single sub under backseat behind driver)
>500 W RMS 2 Ohm
- JL XD 700/5 (One amp to power the whole system)
>Comes with a bass knob
- JL Cleansweep (Tying into OEM Head unit)
- Atrends truck specific single 10" sub enclosure ported
- Stinger Elite 4AWG Amp Kit
- Stinger Elite 12 Ft RCA

Shop 2:
- Focal PS 165 FS (3-way speaker, for the front. Custom mount the tweeter and fab the 3" speaker into the dash)
>Nominal Power 80 W Rms
- Focal PC 165 Coax ('Filler' speakers for the rear)
>Nominal Power 80 W Rms
- Clarion XC6620 6/5/4/3 Channel Class D Amp
>85 W x 6 Continous @ 4 Ohms
- Clarion XC6120 Mono Class D Amp (With bass knob)
>650 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms / 330W x 1 @ 4 Ohms
- Wirez Signature Series 4 Guage AMP Kit
- Wirez Sound Deadening Door Kit

I told shop 2 I'd supply the Sub and enclosure and he had no problem. I did this because he doesn't supply JL and i've heard good things about there subs. So either way i'd like to go with the JL w3v3 (unless anyone has a better 10" sub they'd like to recommend).
My experience with shop 2 was far more better then shop 1. Shop 2 took over an hour to explain his decisions on why he chose what he did for me. Explained how he tunes the audio equipment like no others around us (something to do with pink noise?) amd wasn't pushy and never bashed shop 1. He also said he's already worked on the same truck as mine and explained how my speakers are very low to the ground and how he'd run a channel for each indivdual speaker in the vehicle. This would make the listening expierence far more better. I listened to the Focal PS 165 (came into the shop to see if he'd install shop 1's equipment because they didn't seem professional at all) and was blown away. I didn't even know what Focal was and nor did I want any other brand except JL. Those flax cone speakers were amazing.

Shop 1's expierence wasn't so good. Bounced around from worker to worker, just kept shooting prices at me, told me I should do 2 subs and not 1 (Last truck had 2, 1 will be enough. + Id like rear seat storage). I didn't mind the C3 sound and was assured it was the best bang for my buck. Sub sounded great, but I feel the amo they recommended will under power the sub a lot. They also bashed shop 2 constantly (Though ive only heard good things on shop 2 and not so good things about 1). Plus they knew nothing about my truck... They thought my tweeters were kn my A-pillars (previous body style) and argued to me that I was wrong. Except I drive the damn truck everyday.

Needless to say whoever I go with for equipment, id like it installed by shop 2. Im just asking for some input your guys experiences/word on these peices of equipment. Also sub recommendation would be great.
Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing your guys input!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only 2 shops are lack of choices. I brought head unit online and installed by local shop before. I have to say there are lots of choices online for you. But, you may get lost. Hahaha

Anyway, you can check out new units both online or in physical shops. Then, compare them to each other. Including the functions, price, after sale service etc.

If you buy online, ask the dealer for wiring diagram or installation instruction, then, ask a professional or go to your local car stereo upgrade shop to install the new unit.

Remember to choose the product with warranty so that you can ask the technicians from the dealer for help at anytime.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It sounds like the choice is clear, to me anyways. Shop 2 is the guy to buy from. JL is good stuff but there are a lot of other really good brands as well. What is shop 2 recommending for a subwoofer? His recommendations on the 3 way setup using the Focals is on point.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Has anyone used any of the "newer" clarion class D amps? I see them priced reasonably online, but have no idea who or how they are built these days lol.
As per your post shop 2 does sound more experienced with high end.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I like the shop 2 setup but you will want either a processor or at least the Cleansweep to flatten the factory signal otherwise you're going to get boomy, ridiculous bass. Those Clarion amps are actually good stuff overall. They're going to need to make a very lean speaker ring for that 3" to get it in the dash and there will need to be some bondo work done if they are going to put the tweeter in the A-pillar as its curved. Don't let them just slap it in a hole in the grill on the midrange grill on the dash - that'd look shitty. If you're going to use their amp kit, insist that it is OFC, not CCA wire - otherwise 4AWG isn't going to cut it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only 2 shops are lack of choices. I brought head unit online and installed by local shop before. I have to say there are lots of choices online for you. But, you may get lost. Hahaha

Anyway, you can check out new units both online or in physical shops. Then, compare them to each other. Including the functions, price, after sale service etc.

If you buy online, ask the dealer for wiring diagram or installation instruction, then, ask a professional or go to your local car stereo upgrade shop to install the new unit.

Remember to choose the product with warranty so that you can ask the technicians from the dealer for help at anytime.
I live in Canada, and currently our dollar isnt the best. So i'll be going with instore prices. Plus shop 2 is giving me a 10% discount for being in the same car group as him. Thanks for your input Taylaone!

It sounds like the choice is clear, to me anyways. Shop 2 is the guy to buy from. JL is good stuff but there are a lot of other really good brands as well. What is shop 2 recommending for a subwoofer? His recommendations on the 3 way setup using the Focals is on point.
I haven't really discussed a subwoofer with him. I was pretty set on the w3v3 and he said he'd make it work. What 10" sub would you recommend? Thanks for the reply dallasneon

I like the shop 2 setup but you will want either a processor or at least the Cleansweep to flatten the factory signal otherwise you're going to get boomy, ridiculous bass. Those Clarion amps are actually good stuff overall. They're going to need to make a very lean speaker ring for that 3" to get it in the dash and there will need to be some bondo work done if they are going to put the tweeter in the A-pillar as its curved. Don't let them just slap it in a hole in the grill on the midrange grill on the dash - that'd look shitty. If you're going to use their amp kit, insist that it is OFC, not CCA wire - otherwise 4AWG isn't going to cut it. Good luck!
He did mention something about that! But he said it would be significantly cheaper then the JL cleansweep. And I'm glad to get some input on those amps! Can't seem to find much about them. He mentioned he'll be needing to do some fabricating for the 3" in the dash. I guess when I have the money in hand we'll discuss that more. I like his work I see online. He told me he'll always fabricate something himself instead of buying pre-fabbed material. And I believe he mentioned something about the pillar or the mirror cover by the window. I'll also look into thay wiring info. Thanks sirbOOm. Your build was very clean and gave me the idea for my system, so I appreciate that!

What would you guys recommend for a 10" sub? The W3v3 has good reviews, but just wondering what your indivdual picks would be!
Also sorry for the late replies, finishing finals this week and back to work on monday.
Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts