DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Im looking for ideas on a 4-5 inch midrange. Ideally Id like to spend no more $300.00 for the pair. Ive seen some on madisound like Scanspeak, Peerless, Satori etc...
Ive seen the Audiofrog GB25 +40, theyre real nice but a little pricey, but not completely out of the question. Ive seen one by Hybrid Audio thats looks reasonable...
Id just like to get a little input from as many people as possible so as to not miss something that could be special. Many thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Audiofrog has the GS40 that's well under your spending limits. Have you looked at that series?

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
I havent, but from what I understand there a step beneath the GB series, the GB series being their flagship drivers. Is there a performance difference?

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Less excursion and power handling probably are the main differences, but what do you need them to do? Are you limited to that for mains or are they to be a part of a 3-way component set?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Less excursion and power handling probably are the main differences, but what do you need them to do? Are you limited to that for mains or are they to be a part of a 3-way component set?

They would be in a 3 way system all run actively. They would be mated to a Rainbow Audio Platinum Series 6.9 inch midbass, sensitivity 90db, xover 2,200, 120wrms, FR 35-40,000. Tweeter 1 inch dome.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
There's a lot that could fit in between a 6x9" & 1" tweet. The Scan 10f is tad higher sensitive for about the same price but no mounting hardware like the GS40. Are you just having a hard time trying to decide, or are there other limitations? Both are quality drivers

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just trying to get as many ideas as possible as I dont know of who the players are today. Been out 20 years. I mean I already own an old school A/D/S AL6 componemt set with a 6 inch midbass/range, but the driver weighs like 10 pounds and I cant imagine it being installed in the A-Pillar section of a 2008 Honda Civic (only 65,000 miles). Therefore im gathering ideas on 4-4.5 inch drivers that can take advantage of dash installations, with the 6.9 being in kickpanels on the floor.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Neither of those drivers will have an issue playing up there, but I would be inclined to use the GS40 since it is designed for car audio therefore playing IB, off-axis, and withstanding UV & humidity isn't a problem. 150hz @ -12db hpf /3500hz @-12db lpf is more than wide enough to fill that gap. The response is fairly linear with an available 3.2mm xmax. That's a no-brainer to me for under $300

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the biggest performance difference the GS and GB 40. You mentioned xmax, power handling, anything else that justifies more than double the price. Cone composition that much better, venting better?

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Obvious differences are the GB has a more usable wider & linear response (110hz-6khz), 1.3mm more xmax, & 30 watts more power handling. Those things might matter to some who are trying to squeeze every bit of performance for a given situation like in a competition, so that justifies price to them. Also note that many choose to turn to its little sibling (GB25) for more compact solutions in A-pillars. Still, for what you are trying to fill a void in, the GS40 would suit well for the money. Surely you don't need to cross as low as 110hz, 150hz of the GS40 is far lower than needed. 250-300hz is probably more realistic. With that 1" tweet, you don't need to cross as high as 6khz either, do you? 4khz should still be an easy task for a decent tweet of that size. You can see the response differences below... neither of which is offensive enough in its duty to stress a DSP

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks much.👍
Those tweeters would play well down below 4k no issues I would assume.
I would play those midrange 300-35k as Audiofrog suggests.
Midbass 200-22k as Rainbow suggests.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Obvious differences are the GB has a more usable wider & linear response (110hz-6khz), 1.3mm more xmax, & 30 watts more power handling. Those things might matter to some who are trying to squeeze every bit of performance for a given situation like in a competition, so that justifies price to them. Also note that many choose to turn to its little sibling (GB25) for more compact solutions in A-pillars. Still, for what you are trying to fill a void in, the GS40 would suit well for the money. Surely you don't need to cross as low as 110hz, 150hz of the GS40 is far lower than needed. 250-300hz is probably more realistic. With that 1" tweet, you don't need to cross as high as 6khz either, do you? 4khz should still be an easy task for a decent tweet of that size. You can see the response differences below... neither of which is offensive enough in its duty to stress a DSP

Correct me if im wrong kindly , but it looks as if the GB40 rolls off sharper than the GS40. The GB plays to a higher point, but when it begins to roll off, its pitch looks to be a lot greater.
Interesting.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Correct me if im wrong kindly , but it looks as if the GB40 rolls off sharper than the GS40. The GB plays to a higher point, but when it begins to roll off, its pitch looks to be a lot greater.
Interesting.
Somewhat, but the roll-off is rather benign since it is recommended to cross before that. Basically, you're staying in the safe zone with the recommendations on both which is a good thing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somewhat, but the roll-off is rather benign since it is recommended to cross before that. Basically, you're staying in the safe zone with the recommendations on both which is a good thing.

Ok right, your crossed over to the teeeter before the roll off point.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So in your opinion the GS 40s would EASILY hold their own with most other 4 inch midrange drivers out there at online retailers like madisound?

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I'm pretty sure those recommendations have a fair amount to do with off-axis performance since Andy is a stickler for handing off to the next driver while the response is still omnidirectional

1 - 20 of 78 Posts