DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hehe.. I won't sit here and try to justify why.. but I was hoping to see if it was possible to get as close as I can to an spx-177r set by buying separate similar components.. and hopefully, a bit cheaper.

again, please forgive my somewhat silly reasons.. just humor me and help me put together a component set that would be as close as the spx-177r as possible :) thanks!!

-cris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
circa $230-250 shipped to my door.

cris = poor, recently graduated, and looking for fulltime work :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
You going to run the set active or do you plan on using passive crossovers you have on hand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
racerraul said:
You going to run the set active or do you plan on using passive crossovers you have on hand.
for now, run some passive crossovers that I have in hand for my boston acoustics set. *runs and hides*

haha.. I have a 4 channel amp sitting around waiting for action, so I'll eventually run active... but I'd need an external crossover for that, and I can't afford that right now. My head unit is pretty basic (alpine 9807) so I have very little control, so I would need either a) better HU or b) external crossover.

I'd also like to explain why I want something close to the spx-177r. From what I've heard, they're smooth, laid back, and detailed. That's really what I'm looking for.. my boston acoustics components are warm, but lack the detail I really want. They just seem like they're struggling at all times. I like everything the spx-177r brings to the table.. and was hoping I could bypass the whole pay-for-alpine's-brand thing.

-cris

·
Registered
578 Posts
Look on ebay for an electronic 2way xOver... You should be able to find Audio Control, PPI, Memphis & others in the $50 range.

The you could pickup a set of LPG25nfa (silk) or LPG26na (aluminum) dome tweeters for about $80 shipped

The Seas CA18 is a popular match for those tweeters & a pair of them would be about $110

I like the Vifa MG18 quite a bit... but I hear its not as good as the Seas CA18 in the midbass dept. About $100

You can get these @ madisound...

If you want to try another set in that price range... these fall in that price range & Peerless is known for making very nice speakers...
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=3901873.10942&pid=1969

·
Registered
290 Posts
working on a budget, it seems that a cheap head unit plus a 2 way electronic crossover is the cheaper way to go than buying say a 9835/9855. perhaps the cheapest route is a cheap h/u (jvc/pioneer) with single preout into an 2way crossover into a cheap amp into ca18/lpg or dayton. what do you think ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mk1982 said:
working on a budget, it seems that a cheap head unit plus a 2 way electronic crossover is the cheaper way to go than buying say a 9835/9855. perhaps the cheapest route is a cheap h/u (jvc/pioneer) with single preout into an 2way crossover into a cheap amp into ca18/lpg or dayton. what do you think ?
the alpine 9807 i've got is a 3 preout, 4v head unit with front/rear sub outs. I would only need to add an electronic crossover, really.

As for the ca18/lpg suggestion, I swear, there's a conspiracy out there.. this is all DIYMA is recommending, hehe.

the aformentioned ca18/lpg combo sounds good to me with the crossover, but it'll go into the $250 range, which is.. spx-177r territory. I'm sure people would tell me the ca18/lpg combo sounds better.

I kinda wanted to be unique.. using vifa drivers, for example. *thinks*

·
Registered
415 Posts
do you want it to sound good or be unique..?

Honestly, I would really like the try the G18's with some LPG's. ;) ;)

specially since theres only 5 or 10 pairs left - THATS RARE/UNIQUE.

·
Registered
290 Posts
im with 10k2hvn, again and again lpgs with ca18s or g18s have proven to be a wicked combo run active, if there were better value drivers im sure someone would have already tested them and made them public. the other option is a dayton combo however the tweeters are LARGE. i think the dayton combo is cheaper too (rs180+rs28)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
racerraul said:
You gotta be kidding.... :eek:
haha.. I'm just a bit weary of forum fads. I have now decided on the lpg tweeter however, so that's gonna be step up to improving my front stage :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey Cris, what's happening dude?

I have no doubt the CA18/LPG25 combo is a much better choice over the 177R.

The only reason I didn't buy the G18 or CA18 woofers is I'd only have 45-50w at 8 ohms for them, and that's kinda low for midbass. If you have 80w or so at 8 ohms (160w at 4 ohms), then I'd say go for it.

I think I'm gonna wait for the DIYMA 7" plus LPG, since the new tweeter may not fit.

Then again, I might get a wild hair up my arse and buy a Zed Deuce for a set of W18NX-001 drivers. :D

I've tracked most of these guys for the past 2 years from various forums, and this is the right crowd if you want to get past the ECA whiners, wannabe's, and political butt-kissing... and stick with good people, good gear, and SQ intended systems.

So stop whining and kiss my butt! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahahhaa.. thanks dude, you know I value your opinion :)

I'm leaning more and more toward the lpg 25nfa tweeter.. I wonder if it'll fit in my a-pillar...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Alot of forum fads are from people who haven't used *that* many drivers... most of the guys here have tried it all.. so when they give recommendations on products you can be sure it's pretty good advice :)

I guess the conspiracy with the Lpg + seas combo is it's cheap, easy to use, and it performs VERY well.

For those with more time, money, experience, and a willingness to experiment there are always alot of other options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts