1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is going to be a long first post.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord.

I originally had my sound system installed at an installer near my house. the system was
-Alpine SPS-600C
-Alpine SPR 6x9
-JL Cleansweep
-Sound Ordnance M-4075
-JL 12W3v2
-JX500/1

This system had a little bit of alternator whine, and a little bit of noise. I couldn't really turn the gains up at all but that was fine as it worked. About a year after getting it installed my fuel pump cut out as the installer had grounded all my stuff to the same ground as the fuel pump.

When I got the car back from a 1500$ immobilizer/ecu bill due to a short when the fuel pump cut out, I re-wired the cleansweep and ran better RCAs. This seemed to clear up the noise quite a bit and I was fairly happy.

The SPS-600C aren't great speakers and so when my passenger side started to cut out I decided to upgrade.

List of new stuff:

-CTX65CS
-Same Alpine SPR 6x9
-MB Quart ONX4.125
-JX500/1
-2 10w3v2
-Cleansweep
-16 Guage KnuKoncepts

I ran all new wires in the doors, put the crossovers under the passenger footwell, taped the crossovers to they do not touch metal, re-wired the cleansweep connections to be more solid, ran KnuKoncepts RCAs down the side with remote and speaker connections.

The subs are currently not hooked up as I am trying to isolate a ground loop.

So far I have done:

Disconnect the RCAs from the amp: No Noise ( Obviously )
Ground Factory Radio and Cleansweep to Trunk : Whine
Ground Factory Radio and Cleansweep to Battery : Whine
Ground RCA outers to Cleansweep body : Whine - No change
Change RCAs for more direct ones : Whine
Connect only one RCA to the amp : Whine
Move Amplifier away from trunk : Whine
Ground Amplifier to different ground point : Whine

Any ideas as to what I should try next? This whine is driving me crazy and this install has taken me longer than it should have, even if it is my first full install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plugged my phone straight in, No whine. I do have to turn the phone all the way up in volume or else the sound coming out of the speaker breaks up (input voltage too low?)

So it shouldn't be the amp. Cleansweep or head unit. I am thinking of getting a LOC to see if that help. I mean, if it's the cleansweep or the factory radio the noise should have gone away when i grounded them to the same ground as the amp no? Could it be a fuse in the cleansweep?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You can get whine from a poor 12v+ connection as well. Have you used a meter to check that all the equipment is getting a solid 12+v? (while the equipment is running)?

It is normal that the iPhone (or alternate input source) will only put out a small voltage signal.

Grounding to the same point as the amp should be fine, assuming it's a good connection in the first place.

If the fuse is loose or corroded at a connection point, this could be a problem...but I've only seen that once before, and it was in the engine bay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own a meter I have to get one but I work during the hours where I would be able to get one. I'll have to go on friday and get one. My power wire in my engine bay is a bit greasy but held on tight I don't have a battery terminal it's just done with a ring terminal attached to the stock clamp. I am going to order a battery terminal see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I plugged my phone straight in, No whine. So it shouldn't be the amp.

It's prolly the Cleansweep or head unit.
Fixed your statements for you..

You plugged into the amp with a phone, no whine...

Which means your issue is BEFORE the amp...

HU or processor..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay, since I was tired of trying a whole bunch of ground and it not changing anything I got a ground loop isolator, the 4 channel one from Monoprice. After installing it the ground loop seems to stop, no more whine. The issue I am having with the GLI is that now when I use it the speakers distort and don't play properly. It sounds like the speakers are cutting out.

This sounds a lot like when the phone was plugged straight in to the amp. Is it possible the GLI is stepping down the voltage? What else could be the issue?

P.S. I also installed different RCAs to the GLI and amp to see if it made any difference, none at all.

Edit - My +12V at the battery looks "poorly" connected (A ring terminal attached to the stock wiring) but my battery terminal isn't here yet, can this cause ground loops?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I am redoing most of my grounds and battery terminals and I got a DEH-80PRS.

I installed everything and I still have a really loud ground loop. Changing ground positions does no difference, alternator reads 14.3 volts so I don't think the alternator is bad. If I measure AC voltage I do notice that it fluctuates between 0.010 and 0.020v. The noise is constant when the engine is on and doesn't change volume. If I unplug the RCA's from the amp there is no noise. I have no idea what this could be, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to test?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts