DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have recently bought a Kenwood bundle package. It came with 2 Kenwood KFC-W3012 subs and a Kenwood KAC-8105D mono-channel Amp.

Specs for Subwoofers:
Size 12 -inch
Impendence 4 ohms
Dual Voice Coil No
Sensitivity 86 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 39 - 300 Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 50-400
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1200
Fs (Hz) 31

Specs for Amp:
Specifications
300 W x 1
RMS Watts per channel @ 4 ohms, 1% THD+N80
80 dBA Signal to Noise Ratio (Reference: 1 Watt into 4 ohms)
Max Power Output 1000 W
Rated Power Output
14.4 V
300 W x 1 (4) (20 Hz - 200 Hz, 1.0% THD)
500 W x 1 (2) (100 Hz, 1.0% THD)
Frequency Response 10-200Hz(1dB)
Input Sensitivity 0.2 V - 5.0 V (MIN-MAX)
Input Impedance 10 k
Signal to Noise Ratio 100 dB
Low Pass Filter Frequency (-12 dB/oct.)
50 Hz - 200 Hz (variable)

The system has been working out pretty good but I want to replace my Sony Xplod's.
I am kind of a newbie at this, hence the buying of a bundle package.
What kind of speakers should I be looking for wattage wise? Any good recommendations?
Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you going to use to power your speakers?
I'm not sure. Like I said I'm a newbie haha.
When i installed the sonys it just hooked them up to a wire in the rear deck. So i assume whatever is the default power source of factory speakers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm not sure. Like I said I'm a newbie haha.
When i installed the sonys it just hooked them up to a wire in the rear deck. So i assume whatever is the default power source of factory speakers.
You can do that, but adding another dedicated 2-channel amp and either some coaxial speakers or some component speakers with dedicated passive crossovers to your front sound-stage is going to sound much better.

Post up a budget and I am sure guys will give you some good recommendations.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So... You're not currently using an amp to power your current subwoofers? What's your current setup and what do you feel is lacking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies!

I was maybe looking at paying $50-$100 total for the speakers?

My subwoofers are currently powered by the amp.

And I am somewhat sure my speakers are connected to the head unit?
Does this make sense?

I currently have a JVC KD-R610 front deck.

I also forgot to mention I'm just replacing the rear two speakers.

The subs are drowning out the sound of my Sony Xplods. :confused:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If i was you... I wouldn't worry too much about the rear speakers. Focus on your front stage before the rears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks for the suggestions!
So if I wanted to replace my rear speakers AND front speakers, what wattage/RMS is a respectable rating for a 2-channel amplifier? Im still a little rusty on how the subs/speakers power stack up on the amplifier.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have some thoughts here..

1. The choice of front speakers probably is not affected too much by your subwoofer/amp combo..

2. 60 to 100watts RMS power into 4ohms speakers would be plenty for most speakers.

3. Bump your speaker budget a little higher. There are plenty of decent component speakers that cost $150-$200, those are mostly mass market brands like Polk, RF, Alpine, JBL, Pioneer, etc. The really good stuff is made by smaller companies (Morel, HAT, JL, Hertz, Focal, etc) and starts at well above $200. Some good strictly budget speakers are Polk db components and Morel Maximo components. No matter what you buy, it will destroy Sony xplods. Sony xplod stuff is generally very basic stuff. I cranked up Sony xplod speakers on a board at walmart just for fun, and I didn't like the sound. Very tinny.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some thoughts here..

1. The choice of front speakers probably is not affected too much by your subwoofer/amp combo..

2. 60 to 100watts RMS power into 4ohms speakers would be plenty for most speakers.

3. Bump your speaker budget a little higher. There are plenty of decent component speakers that cost $150-$200, those are mostly mass market brands like Polk, RF, Alpine, JBL, Pioneer, etc. The really good stuff is made by smaller companies (Morel, HAT, JL, Hertz, Focal, etc) and starts at well above $200. Some good strictly budget speakers are Polk db components and Morel Maximo components. No matter what you buy, it will destroy Sony xplods. Sony xplod stuff is generally very basic stuff. I cranked up Sony xplod speakers on a board at walmart just for fun, and I didn't like the sound. Very tinny.

Thanks for the reply!
So if my deck's RMS output is 20 watts and the peak is 50 watts, does that mean i need to keep my speaker choice RMS between 20-50 watts?

Or will the speakers be powered by the amp?

I had these subs and amp professionally installed so I'm a little lost. :confused:

But I'm going to replace all 4 speakers so I'm definitely going to bump up my price range.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
So if my deck's RMS output is 20 watts and the peak is 50 watts, does that mean i need to keep my speaker choice RMS between 20-50 watts?

Or will the speakers be powered by the amp?

I had these subs and amp professionally installed so I'm a little lost. :confused:

But I'm going to replace all 4 speakers so I'm definitely going to bump up my price range.
I don't know if there exist good speakers with power handling of only 20 watts or more.. The best result will be achieved if you buy decent speakers and run good amount of power to them, about 50-100watts RMS. It's just difficult to fight the basic physics here buy trying to find a good speaker that work well with stereo's power.

Also, since you have asked about making speakers sound better, you should look into treating your doors with vibration damping material such as dynamat xtreme or raammat bxt2. There are many tutorials about how to do it. Using this treatment in a correct way will reduce rattles in your door and increase bass impact from the front speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i plan on buying some dynomat in the near future for my trunk.
But as far as speakers, I was thinking I would use 2 Alpine SPS-410 (45 RMS) speakers in the front and 2 Sound Ordnance™ P-52 (40 RMS) speakers in the back.
As for an amplifier, I was thinking the Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack (4 x 45RMS) that connects directly to the head unit.
These usually are made for Alpine Decks but I've been informed they work with any deck as long as you line the wires up correctly.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yes i plan on buying some dynomat in the near future for my trunk.
But as far as speakers, I was thinking I would use 2 Alpine SPS-410 (45 RMS) speakers in the front and 2 Sound Ordnance™ P-52 (40 RMS) speakers in the back.
As for an amplifier, I was thinking the Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack (4 x 45RMS) that connects directly to the head unit.
These usually are made for Alpine Decks but I've been informed they work with any deck as long as you line the wires up correctly.
What do you guys think?
Is 4 inch coaxial speaker the best you can fit in your front? I can see why you could have issues with sound quality because a 4 inch speaker will not produce much mid bass and with the tweeter down low in the door somewhere, stage height or high frequencies will not be great. Besides these limitations, another problem is that there aren't many great coaxial 4 inch speakers. The Alpine SPS speakers aren't that great even in their 6 inch form. I would look into something else. Perhaps JBL P462 (needs 2ohm stable amplifier), Image Dynamics CTX-4, or Morel Maximo 4C. These are considered good speakers in their larger version, and a lot better than Alpine SPS.

Regarding amplifier, I would recommend against the Alpine KTP if it was going to be used to drive larger diameter speakers. Why? For the same price you can get a better amplifier. I just picked up for myself a 4x80 MB Quart REF4.80 amplifier for $120 shipped. With 4x50watt version of this amplifier, called REF4.50, even cheaper. What are the advantages? Bridgeable channels, 2ohm stable, better cooling, etc. I am pretty sure its power output will be cleaner with a good power cable running to it as opposed to Alpine KTP being powered with a wire that's meant to drive a dash stereo. However, since your amplifier will be driving small speakers, I guess KTP will be fine. I assume you will use crossover frequency above well 100Hz, so there is not much power need in that region. Are you sure you can connect the KTP to your stereo? IMO, it's safer and better to go with a cheap 4-channel MB Quart or even Jensen amplifier than bother with the Alpine KTP.

If I was you I would look into fitting larger speaker in front and perhaps in the rear. 6x9 speakers in the rear deck could provide a good amount of midbass, which your current system probably lacks right now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is 4 inch coaxial speaker the best you can fit in your front? I can see why you could have issues with sound quality because a 4 inch speaker will not produce much mid bass and with the tweeter down low in the door somewhere, stage height or high frequencies will not be great. Besides these limitations, another problem is that there aren't many great coaxial 4 inch speakers. The Alpine SPS speakers aren't that great even in their 6 inch form. I would look into something else. Perhaps JBL P462 (needs 2ohm stable amplifier), Image Dynamics CTX-4, or Morel Maximo 4C. These are considered good speakers in their larger version, and a lot better than Alpine SPS.

Regarding amplifier, I would recommend against the Alpine KTP if it was going to be used to drive larger diameter speakers. Why? For the same price you can get a better amplifier. I just picked up for myself a 4x80 MB Quart REF4.80 amplifier for $120 shipped. With 4x50watt version of this amplifier, called REF4.50, even cheaper. What are the advantages? Bridgeable channels, 2ohm stable, better cooling, etc. I am pretty sure its power output will be cleaner with a good power cable running to it as opposed to Alpine KTP being powered with a wire that's meant to drive a dash stereo. However, since your amplifier will be driving small speakers, I guess KTP will be fine. I assume you will use crossover frequency above well 100Hz, so there is not much power need in that region. Are you sure you can connect the KTP to your stereo? IMO, it's safer and better to go with a cheap 4-channel MB Quart or even Jensen amplifier than bother with the Alpine KTP.

If I was you I would look into fitting larger speaker in front and perhaps in the rear. 6x9 speakers in the rear deck could provide a good amount of midbass, which your current system probably lacks right now.
Unfortunately I have a Toyota Camry LE 1988, so the front speakers are square and the largest speaker size I can fit is 4"

In the back, the size fits 5 1/4" speakers tightly.

If this was to be my current setup would it still be a good idea to get a different amplifier?
I've read in a couple different places people with non-alpine decks have connected the KTP pack with good results.

Btw the speaker is in the dash. I little closer to my ear than in the door panel but not by much haha.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Unfortunately I have a Toyota Camry LE 1988, so the front speakers are square and the largest speaker size I can fit is 4"

In the back, the size fits 5 1/4" speakers tightly.

If this was to be my current setup would it still be a good idea to get a different amplifier?
I've read in a couple different places people with non-alpine decks have connected the KTP pack with good results.

Btw the speaker is in the dash. I little closer to my ear than in the door panel but not by much haha.
Looking into your speaker situation, I guess you will have to do with 4 inch in front and 5 inch speakers in the rear, unless you're a good handyman and can fit beefier speaker woofers elsewhere in your car.

Let's say you go ahead and use the stock speaker locations. I think it's better if you buy speakers from the same family of drivers, as opposed to buying one brand for the front and something completely different for rear. You want to have at least some coherence in terms of sound signature of your speakers. For example, I recommended above to you 4inch coaxial Morel Maximo speaker or a 4inch JBL power speaker, like in the links below:

Amazon.com: Morel Maximo 4C 4-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: JBL P462 4" 2-way Power Series Speakers (Pair): Electronics

Each ones of these speakers has the same type of product that comes in 5 inch size. Once you decide on brand, pick a same brand setup for front and rear.

In terms of amplifier power, I think throwing in a cheap 4x50watt RMS amplifier or better should be sufficient for these speakers. In terms of JBL speakers, they're somewhat nice because they come in 2ohm versions, which means they will see a lot more power coming from your amplifier compared to its 4ohm rating. I'd look into one of these MB Quarts:

MB Quart REF4.50 400W RMS Reference Series 4-Channel Amplifier

MB Quart REF4.80 640W RMS Reference Series 4-Channel Amplifier

This is probably cheaper than the KTP amplifier, and they should sound better. These amps supposedly measure higher than what the RMS rating suggests. Spend the rest of your change on wiring, power distribution block, and other install accessories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!

I've been away for awhile.

But I think I've decided on 4" Alpine SPS-410 speakers for the dash. (45 RMS)

While having the same speaker type as a 5.25" Alpine SPS-510 speakers in the back. (55 RMS)

If they are too big ill just make them work somehow.

As for the amp I'm gonna go with the MB Quart REF4.50 400W RMS Reference Series 4-Channel Amplifier

What do you think?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts