DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a Nice sound quality system put into my 97 Accord Special Edition.

I recently just bought a new headunit to go with the stock speakers
Alpine CDA-117

I have close to 800$ on me right now. but get about 600$ minimum extra each month if not more to go towards this project after paying my bills. So this is something that should get done in maybe 6 months. some months i have a lot more extra money.

I want to get either a 2way or 3way active set up front stage. Depending on Money vs Quality. Meaning if i have to spend double or more on a 3way set up vs 2 way.

I need everything but the headunit so any suggestions what to start building on would be great.

I want to do the deadening myself and buy the equipment online and find a great installer to do most of the other work that i cant figure out myself

I care more about clarity then anything else but i dont want to sell my soul to have to pay for the set up either.

so Suggestions with Front stage components, Amps, Subs, Other stuff and deadening products please list them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Why do you want to buy online? When you find a good installer, ask for his recommendations and purchase product thru him. That way you'll get a nice discount on labor ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I was curious if that would be cheaper in the long run.

Now I just need to find a good installer in my area

Orange county California

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Based on reviews, it seems like the easiest way to build a good SQ system without being an SQ wizard is to build you car audio system around JBL's MS-8 audio processor. It can calibrate and configure automatically equalization, time alignment, and surround sound.

I think adding the MS-8 will improve your sound by a lot more than going 3-way active. Get a couple of nice 2-way component speakers for the front and run them active, and a couple of coaxial speakers for the rear to match them.

Amplifiers: I would get two four channel amplifiers. Two channels for tweeters, two channels for woofers, two for rear speakers, and two are bridged for subwoofer. Which brand is up to you. I personally like to save space, so I would look for a quality Class D amplifier such as Alpine PDX, JL, etc. The PPI Phantom amplifiers look like great performers for the money. (the 4-channel is rated and confirmed for 450watts in bridged mode, plenty for most subwoofers).

For sound deadening, I prefer to use raammat.com products. One of the best bang for your buck IMO.

Wiring: Get some kind of a wiring kit. My preference is for StreetWires 4awg kit with 150amp fuse. Also get the fused 3-way power distribution block from knukonceptz.com and also their 3-way ground distribution block. This is amazing value. They even give you 3 fuses of your choice. This will be enough to power two subwoofers and the MS-8. Get additional wiring from them if you need (power and ground cables, battery terminals, etc).

I would say, get the MS-8 going first (it has a built-in 8 channel amplifier to power your speakers) using the factory speakers and speaker wires. Then add amplifiers, then replace the speaker wires with quality wire, sound proof the doors, and finally install new speakers. Add subwoofer once you have an amplifier.

There are a lot of subwoofers to choose from. I'd say, first get the amplifier and decide what kind box you can use (how big), etc. This will narrow down choices considerably. The forum's most popular subwoofer line is probably the Image Dynamics IDQ/IDMAX followed by JL Audio W6 and W7, and then followed by Dayton Reference and Peerless. Harman Kardon also makes great subwoofers (the GTI series, Power series, etc), just to give a few names. In the end, what matters most is getting the right subwoofer for your box, and MS-8 should take care of getting the bass frequency response right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts