DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura ILX premium/A-Spec
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What mids 3 or 4” is there that works nice in a pillars on axis and can play down to 250hz? And can handle some power for high volume listening?
I’m about to make some a pillars and currently have Audison voce 3” which play down to 300hz just fine when I have the volume cranked up but keep thinking maybe I should try something bigger

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
would audio frog gs40 work for what I want?

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I don’t know if they’re still there but in the classifieds there was a pair of Audio Devolpment MM4’s that would be nice.

Reactions: vactor

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts

Reactions: vactor

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Budget?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Based purely upon their specs, especially off axis performance (even though it doesn’t sound like that’s a consideration for you) JL C5s. Not cheap but,…

Since you’re using them on axis virtually any 3-4” with the frequency range you’re looking for and proper power handling made by a reputable manufacturer will do.
As with most things car audio once you get into reputable manufacturers you get what you pay for and what you will and won’t like will be a matter of personal preference and what works for your job. Compare everything in your price range (from reputable manufacturers) and when you can’t narrow it down anymore go with your gut or blindly pick one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Based purely upon their specs, especially off axis performance (even though it doesn’t sound like that’s a consideration for you) JL C5s. Not cheap but,…

Since you’re using them on axis virtually any 3-4” with the frequency range you’re looking for and proper power handling made by a reputable manufacturer will do.
As with most things car audio once you get into reputable manufacturers you get what you pay for and what you will and won’t like will be a matter of personal preference and what works for your job. Compare everything in your price range (from reputable manufacturers) and when you can’t narrow it down anymore go with your gut or blindly pick one.
250hz is kinda low for any 3” midrange isn’t it? At my volume levels my audisons voce didn’t like 250 hz. They needed to be 300-320

I believe I am getting the Hat L4 mids

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you can get 12cm outside diameter in SB acoustics have several that play down to 200 easily, I use 24db lr 160 with the ceramic sb12cac and also the sb12mnrx2, the ceramics I have had as low as 100hz and they were fine with that 👍🏼 The mnrx would be fine with 250 and are more efficient than most drivers that size

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah, 250hz is a bit low for anything <4”. However,… my GS25s (2.5” bandwidths) are rated at 200hz using 70w with a 12dB per octave slope and a minimum of -3dB at the crossover frequency. I can’t say I’m willing to cross them over much below 400hz given their size but that’s what they say and I’ll believe it, just won’t test it.

·
Registered
2019 VW Jetta GLI
132 Posts
Scanspeak Illuminator 12mu, Audible Physics RG100, Scanspeak Discovery 10F. I'm also in the planning stages of re building my pillars and was looking at using the 12mu or the RG100. Also looking for a hp at 250. I know if built with a proper sealed enclosure these 2 could easily play below 250

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you’re using them on axis virtually any 3-4” with the frequency range you’re looking for and proper power handling made by a reputable manufacturer will do.

Eggless Omelette
yeah? But I listen at louder volume than probably 90% of people on here sometimes. Not always but I dofor short times almost daily. With an old school radio shack meter which stops at 126db and doesn’t measure bass very good it will hover in the 115-120db range when the bass is not even kickin hard. So not sure any 3” would like that under 300hz. My Audison voce didn’t like 250hz.
Would the hat l4 handle 200hz at these levels?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scanspeak Illuminator 12mu, Audible Physics RG100, Scanspeak Discovery 10F. I'm also in the planning stages of re building my pillars and was looking at using the 12mu or the RG100. Also looking for a hp at 250. I know if built with a proper sealed enclosure these 2 could easily play below 250
can’t afford the 12mu or audible physics. The 10f were used in a car I tuned and I didn’t like something about them. They were too “in your face” sounding for lack of better way to describe it. They also had horrible response in his a pillars slightly off axis in his g37. They had huge sips and peaks and didn’t play low at all. We had to settle for 300hz ish… He got The pillars from another member who has skizr build them just for the 10f.

maybe it was the 10f being in the pillars that I dint like. I prefer mids half ways down the doors closer to the midbass aimed on axis with tweets in sails. The stage is so much wider this way and still is out on the hood and dead center.

·
Registered
2019 VW Jetta GLI
132 Posts
Every car accoustics is diff, to say you didnt like the way something sounded in another car and apply that to your own project is useless... so many factors go in to play on how they will sound in the end. Just offering some solid options that fit the criteria u listed.

·
Registered
809 Posts
@Selkec
What midbasses and tweeters are you running that these will be playing between ? Sorry if I missed this info if already mentioned.
This might give everyone an idea of sound and quality, as long as budget, that you're looking for.

It would also help to know what size limitations you have ( overall diameter and mounting depth ) ?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Selkec
What midbasses and tweeters are you running that these will be playing between ? Sorry if I missed this info if already mentioned.
This might give everyone an idea of sound and quality, as long as budget, that you're looking for.

It would also help to know what size limitations you have ( overall diameter and mounting depth ) ?
I currently have seas prestige tweets,
Audison voce 3” mids and Audison ap8”. But can’t fit 8” in my new car. So only speakers so far I would use are the seas tweets. There’s nothing wrong with my Audison 3”. I just figured if I am making new a pillars why not try something that could possibly play a little lower or with more power handling. After hearing some cars at Slamology today I realize that my Audison are totally fine and that I should have competed with my old system and car.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are the hat l4 what I’m looking for? I have had a few people tell me no. But reading their specs and info it seems as if they would be.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
If your budget allows I would look at these:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your budget allows I would look at these:

Never seen those. What’s the prices

·