DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

So, I began my front stage install today, and to my dismay, my brand new Massive Ck6V set won't fit in my doors. They're too deep to sandwich between the rolled down windows and the speaker grills on the door panels, no matter how I configure the baffles.

(I have no idea how to sell them on the forum, so please give me any advice on how to do that)

Therefore, I'm back to component shopping. I need the mids to have less than 2 inches of top mounting depth. I would like for them to take at least 75 watts RMS each, preferably well over 100. They will be powered by a Boston GTA-704 bridged to 2 channels with passive Xovers for now, so I'll have up to 250 watts RMS x 2 on tap, but I don't plan to ever set the gains up so as to see that. I'll set the gains according to the component set chosen.

I want nice SQ, strong midbass (as reasonably possible with such depth restrictions), and my budget is < $200.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Massive Audio*::*Speakers*::*SK SLIM SERIES - COMPONENT SPEAKERS*::*SK 6 Stage II Component Speaker

The coaxial version of these components sound amazing for the cost. I really don't know how you can't fit 2.5" deep mids in a Saturn but I know you don't drive an SL series.
Yea, I know. I thought I could go as deep as I wanted by the way it looked on the outside. Cracking the doors open totally ruined my day. I measured and measured, and unless I want the cone to smack the door panel's grill with the slightest excursion, I have to start over.

I like the looks of the SKs. There's no reviews anywhere on them though. I wonder if they have the same tweeters as the other Massive sets, and specifically, the problematic stage 3 crossovers.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Can you find a way to space out the door panel for the clearance only where it's needed? Maybe the bottom corner of the panel could protrude without being obvious.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs

Those component speakers have the best sound. Its so crisp and clear. (my opinion)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you find a way to space out the door panel for the clearance only where it's needed? Maybe the bottom corner of the panel could protrude without being obvious.
It's not the bottom corner. It's the 2:00 corner (driver side, 10:00 corner passenger)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Polk Audio db6501 6.5" 2-way Component Car Speakers System (db 6501)

Pretty sure CDT makes some slimline models too. May give those a look. Actually, I just looked and their NEODYMIUM comp sets are 2.15" mounting depth.
I'm glad you mentioned the Polks. I installed the 5.25" versions in my wife's car a couple years ago, and they sound great powered by just a Kicker 200.2 (I plan to upgrade that to a Kicker 350.4 bridged after tax season). The tweeters aren't even harsh. I literally just told her I'm thinking about getting some Polks like hers, but the 6.5s. She feels bad my Christmas present is still sitting in the living room.

I'm torn between continuing rocking my loud, but midbassless factories off the HU in my car (but it has a JBL P1224 in the trunk), and then doing a subless setup with the Massives in my beater truck (it has just wires hanging out of the dash for the last year or so)... or coming off the Massives and going ahead and installing the 4 channel plus whatever new comps in my car and just getting over my unfortunate miscalculation.

...But dang I wanna hear this crazy midbass the CKs are famous for!

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
The Polk tweeter sounds great to me too. The woofer sounds good too, just need to get the midbass punch up front with help from tuning the crossover setup from midbass to sub.

I haven't hear the Massives, but imagine I will at the next meet up.

That's the sub I should have bought, but I got the GTO1214 instead, still good though. The Polks should blend well with the sub...so put them in the car!

I would never rock factory or without the frontstage being amplified. lol. Snobbish but true.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Polk tweeter sounds great to me too. The woofer sounds good too, just need to get the midbass punch up front with help from tuning the crossover setup from midbass to sub.

I haven't hear the Massives, but imagine I will at the next meet up.

That's the sub I should have bought, but I got the GTO1214 instead, still good though. The Polks should blend well with the sub...so put them in the car!

I would never rock factory or without the frontstage being amplified. lol. Snobbish but true.
I got her 5.25s crossed at 100 hz. I plan to cross whatever 6.5s I get at 80. Hers does blend as good as it can with a Kicker CVR15 in a big sealed box. It definitely kicks you in the back, but there's still the upfront bass thing going on.

I tell you, this P1224 is the most ridiculous 12 I've ever heard under 1000 watts. I'm running 700 on mine, and it flexes the car like crazy if I play something with loud bass at high volume. It's in 2.5 cubes @ 25 hz. A 20 hz tone makes your stomach feel queezy.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I liked the way the Massive shallows look, but there are literally zero reviews out there for them. The Polks are well known, loved and hated. I'm gonna go take a look at the CDTs and see if there are reviews. (I've heard some bad press about woofersetc. though) The Polks are the #1 contender so far in my new search.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Have you tried getting a refund/credit from the place you purchased the set?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried getting a refund/credit from the place you purchased the set?
I'll have to pay for shipping plus a 10% restocking fee. I'm weighing that against keeping them for a future project other than my current daily driver. This blows, but it makes me feel better to read you guys' suggestions.

Edit: I may not have to pay the 10% if I get store credit. I'll check tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

I called Sonicelectronix and told them what's up. They created a RMA for me and will be taking them back for only the cost of shipping through their UPS account. Now, they're sending me a set of the Polk DB6501 components. May be a bit of a downgrade from the Massives (might be for the best that I haven't gotten to hear them), but they'll fit and I can move on with my install. Besides, I really like my wife's set of the 5.25 inch versions, so all is as well as it can be, considering.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Update:

I called Sonicelectronix and told them what's up. They created a RMA for me and will be taking them back for only the cost of shipping through their UPS account. Now, they're sending me a set of the Polk DB6501 components. May be a bit of a downgrade from the Massives (might be for the best that I haven't gotten to hear them), but they'll fit and I can move on with my install. Besides, I really like my wife's set of the 5.25 inch versions, so all is as well as it can be, considering.

Glad to hear that they are working something out with you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to hear that they are working something out with you.
They're my personal favorite webstore for audio. Depends on who answers the phone, a couple of the guys are willing to talk audio for a few. The Polks are my 11th order from them. I really love audiosavings.com too.

You have any experience with Polk? Their new digital PA series amps look so freaking sick, and they have full on active Xovers. Too bad I already own a pair of Boston GTAs. They're not bad though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
They're my personal favorite webstore for audio. Depends on who answers the phone, a couple of the guys are willing to talk audio for a few. The Polks are my 11th order from them. I really love audiosavings.com too.

You have any experience with Polk? Their new digital PA series amps look so freaking sick, and they have full on active Xovers. Too bad I already own a pair of Boston GTAs. They're not bad though.

No expirience with Polk , sorry. I've had a few emails back and forth with sonics, they seem pretty legit to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts