DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After days and days of reading, searching, shopping, I’ve decided to get you guys input. I have two 8’s in my back dash right now. They are just some cheap $30 Blaupunkt subs. Not intended for infinite baffle but they do work well and hit pretty hard. However, they can’t hold much power (100 watts maybe) before they bottom out. The output right before they bottom is very impressive tho. If I could find something that would hold more power and not bottom as easy, that’s what I’m looking for. These would be great if I had a smaller amp, don’t get me wrong? They sound good but my power 750 slaps them around pretty easily. I have it at 8ohm mono. I’ve looked at all the major brands but 99% of them aren’t “suitable” for infinite baffle. The kicker compC are one of the ones I’m looking at but it doesn’t really hold any more power than what I have now.
I was sort of considering a set of audio frog 8’s, but if I could avoid spending $600 on a pair of subs...that would be great. If they would be the end all, I might would do it, but what I’ve read about themmakes me think twice.

another issue I have is mounting depth. I’m limited to about 6” mounting depth.
Any ideas for me?
Something that’s worked for you? I know just because it’s not a designated free air design does not mean it won’t work. Just like what I have. If I had a smaller amp, it probably would be fine...but I got a taste for what it could be...and I want a little more that what these will do. Thx

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
are you 100% in on 8's? Generally speaking IB works better with larger drivers.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You're asking alot from IB 8s. Some ideas would be peerless sls 8s (more of a good midbass driver but works IB), Dayton HF 8 (dont get the HO), or Dayton ultimax 8. The ultimax has a lot of throw so it might do a decent job.

Based on your description, you're probably wasting your time with these. Maybe consider a small sealed 10 in the backseat, center console, etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're asking alot from IB 8s. Some ideas would be peerless sls 8s (more of a good midbass driver but works IB), Dayton HF 8 (dont get the HO), or Dayton ultimax 8. The ultimax has a lot of throw so it might do a decent job.

Based on your description, you're probably wasting your time with these. Maybe consider a small sealed 10 in the backseat, center console, etc.
are you 100% in on 8's? Generally speaking IB works better with larger drivers.
So I should have mentioned, 8’s are all the room I have for.

I should have said that beforehand because all the threads I’ve read, everyone just says throw a larger sub at it. But, seeing as I’ve already heard what these cheap woofers can do, I know 8’s will do what I want. These are doing it, it’s just they are right on the edge of what they can handle. I want a little more headroom with power. They sound as good as I’d like them too, on the higher notes (around 40-50hz) they will almost hurt you. Sounds funny, but I’m being serious. It’s just when I’m pushing them and they are hitting hard on those higher notes, when a lower note hits, (20-30hz) they start rattling. They actually do quite well down low if I turn it down a notch, but I want my cake and eat it too. I know that there’s got to be something else out there that can do as well as these but handle a little more power.

something with a shorting ring maybe?

i mentioned in another thread that I’ve had several subs in the trunk of this car, and none satisfied me. The car (gto) has the gas tank in the trunk and has a steel firewall between it and the backseat. No, I don’t want to put a sub box in there and leave the speakers out the back deck for the bass to come through..... the car is kind of loud and it’s quiet with the speakers in the back deck, I take them out and I hear the exhaust more than I want to. So.... what’s a good set of 8’s I can use? Yes I’m dead set on it. Another reason I don’t want a box is because my trunk is small and I wanted the room back.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Lower frequencies require more displacement. Displacement is volume (diameter of the cone * excursion of the woofer) and you're limited to cone size (8 inches). This means you need more throw. Of the options I've listed above the Ultimax has the most throw. Pretty easy to model up these options and compare them.

Shorting rings help the driver play higher not lower.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lower frequencies require more displacement. Displacement is volume (diameter of the cone * excursion of the woofer) and you're limited to cone size (8 inches). This means you need more throw. Of the options I've listed above the Ultimax has the most throw. Pretty easy to model up these options and compare them.

Shorting rings help the driver play higher not lower.
Well maybe I didn’t explain correctly. It plays low enough for me. It’s just my woofers aren’t tight enough to control the excursion at lower frequencies. What I have now is loud enough, low enough but I need a sub that will handle a little more abuse than what I have. That’s all. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t need more cone area, bigger subs, subs in a box...just a good pair on subs that will handle an infinite baffle setup.

maybe I’m mistaken on the starting ring...but what I’ve read, even on this forum, is a shorting ring helps to limit distortion and over excursion. Not play lower, that’s not why I was bringing it up....I was under the assumption that it helps limit excursion....which happens in the lower frequencies. Hey I’m learning....doesn’t hurt to ask. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw, the ultimate was one of my candidates for consideration, but after reading the reviews on it, it seems like it’s over rated power wise and the higher excursions are noisy. Which I don’t want, I guess what wouldn’t matter if the subs where in the trunk, but being they are on the back deck I will hear it. I already had a set of noisy subs and I got rid of them.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Well maybe I didn’t explain correctly. It plays low enough for me. It’s just my woofers aren’t tight enough to control the excursion at lower frequencies. What I have now is loud enough, low enough but I need a sub that will handle a little more abuse than what I have. That’s all. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t need more cone area, bigger subs, subs in a box...just a good pair on subs that will handle an infinite baffle setup.

maybe I’m mistaken on the starting ring...but what I’ve read, even on this forum, is a shorting ring helps to limit distortion and over excursion. Not play lower, that’s not why I was bringing it up....I was under the assumption that it helps limit excursion....which happens in the lower frequencies. Hey I’m learning....doesn’t hurt to ask. :)
If you want x amount of spl you need more excursion if your current woofers are reaching physical limits, but replacing the subs will make the upper bass potentially louder also so you’d need to reduce the upper bass to balance the sound better normally and use all the excursion on lows

a shorting ring doesn’t do what you think it does sadly, it does lower distortion, but not reduce excursion

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
I run dual Ultimax 8 in IB. Plenty of bottom end and output for a modest setup. Before that, I've ran dual Cerwin Vega V2 series 8". A little more efficient, respectable xmax (IIRC, Larry Frederick claimed 13mm), more upper bass while still digging low. Both made the infamous ID8 with its supposed IB capable suggestions sound like utter garbage in that application.

I remember looking at those Blaupunkts... thought I saw they were around 5mm xmax, but the data could be erroneous

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Whats the budget? I want to try these...

·
Registered
8,666 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The only place I can find anything on them is YouTube and eBay. Am I reading correctly that these are about 900 bucks a sub

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I run dual Ultimax 8 in IB. Plenty of bottom end and output for a modest setup. Before that, I've ran dual Cerwin Vega V2 series 8". A little more efficient, respectable xmax (IIRC, Larry Frederick claimed 13mm), more upper bass while still digging low. Both made the infamous ID8 with its supposed IB capable suggestions sound like utter garbage in that application.

I remember looking at those Blaupunkts... thought I saw they were around 5mm xmax, but the data could be erroneous

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
how do they sound? Can you bottom them out easily on lower notes? How much power do you have on them? I was considering the ultimax but a couple reviews swayed me away.

here’s Amazon reviews. The first one even mentions infinite baffle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those look really really enticing...I'm going to see if I can find any info on them......I'm tempted to just order them at that price! thx!
Here's the specs I found:
f(s) = 34.99 Hz M(ms) = 41.80 grams
V(as) = 89.44 liters (3.159 cubic feet) n(0) = 0.10 %
Q(ts) = 2.680L(e) = 0.993 mH at 10kHz
Q(es) = 3.685SPL = 82.06 dB SPL 1W/1m
Q(ms) = 9.836BL = 4.49
R(e) = 8.10 OhmsPiston Diameter = 213.7 mm
C(ms) = 0.50 mm/NZ(max) = 29.73 Ohms

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
f(s) = 34.99 HzM(ms) = 41.80 grams
V(as) = 89.44 liters (3.159 cubic feet)n(0) = 0.10 %
Q(ms) = 9.836BL = 4.49

I saw the specs somewhere on them...I wonder if that QTS is correct...lol

I did email the seller and asked him some questions, but I'm really leaning towards these....They seem to be just what I was looking for and the price is right also. The seller has excellent feedback and the several reviews on these subs are good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
f(s) = 34.99 HzM(ms) = 41.80 grams
V(as) = 89.44 liters (3.159 cubic feet)n(0) = 0.10 %
Q(ms) = 9.836BL = 4.49

Well i went ahead and ordered them just now. On a side note, I failed to find out the mounting depth.,..oops...thats what i get for getting into a hurry.

BTW..the QTS is .548 according to my math. which should do a little better than what I currently have.

EDIT: qts IS 2.680

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
Well i went ahead and ordered them just now. On a side note, I failed to find out the mounting depth.,..oops...thats what i get for getting into a hurry.

BTW..the QTS is .548 according to my math. which should do a little better than what I currently have.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts