DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I wait for your follow up before grabbing mine...:cool:
I’ll post here what my thoughts are. If it’s what the description says, they are everything I was looking for. Prefer a poly cone, but no big deal there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thx, but I didnt see much in that thread except speculation. No one had used them yet. Guess I'll be a guinea pig.

the numbers I come up with on the qts are like this:

QMS= 9.836
QES= 3.685
(QMS X QES) = 36.24566
(QMS + QES) = 13.521
36.24566 / 13.521 2.6806

lololololol...... second time i did it I got the right answer....

well I guess I'll see..I have plenty of power anyways. rms power of my amp is 750w @ 2 ohms and dynamic is 909w at 2ohm's......and my birth sheet on it tested higher than that. i dont rember what but iirc it was like 999w....so I might have enough to move them. I dunno? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
how do they sound? Can you bottom them out easily on lower notes? How much power do you have on them? I was considering the ultimax but a couple reviews swayed me away.

here’s Amazon reviews. The first one even mentions infinite baffle

Any review especially one without deeper details must be taken with a grain of salt. Not to imply he might not know what he's doing, but he also didn't give details to how it was fed or what it was mated to as far as front end.

I have two which does make a difference, of course. They're wired series/parallel for a final 2 ohm impedance on the 5th channel of a XD700/5. So that's half rms in IB which is theoretically ideal for a sub that isn't rated IB.

Can I bottom them out? I'm quite sure I can though I never had. They give more output than needed for my 5.25" component set in the front doors. In fact, the doors need upgrading as they're the weak link. Bottom end is good without me boosting low frequencies in the headunit or DSP. In fact, I think I have some cuts to have a more linear response as they're a bit bottom heavy. The Vegas had slightly less bottom end rumble and seemed to play a tad louder, but neither was the bottleneck in the system.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
You can try these.....I've been looking at the 10" myself as a easy swap out of my factory sub.
8" UnderHung IB Series Subwoofer
These have been on ebay for some time now. I was almost tempted to try a set, but the extremely high Q isn't really applicable to car audio in my opinion. While they should definitely present some robust bass, you can't help but to be concerned with the very possible peaking response as a result when combined with cabin gain.. the irregular high Q is intentional to compensate H frame roll-off. H frame is quite different from a rear deck or trunk baffle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
These have been on ebay for some time now. I was almost tempted to try a set, but the extremely high Q isn't really applicable to car audio in my opinion. While they should definitely present some robust bass, you can't help but to be concerned with the very possible peaking response as a result when combined with cabin gain.. the irregular high Q is intentional to compensate H frame roll-off. H frame is quite different from a rear deck or trunk baffle.

well it’s too late now. They already shipped them. If they do better than my Blaupunkts I’ll be happy. I don’t want a floppy woofer that I can slap around by accident if the volume is up and it hits a very low note.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
They should do better to some degree. I wouldn't expect them to bottom out as easily, but hitting a certain target might be another story. The biggest issue is not exactly knowing the true parameters of the Blaupunkts to hint in what direction to go. You could go from one extreme end to the other. However, you're at least on the right track towards finding out.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Is there space to add an extra blaupunkt 8"? Or two!?

Does your amp, dsp or head unit offer a subsonic filter? Worth a try. My last system used underseat active subs, so not playing low lows, and putting the subsonic filter on really helped them out without noticing anything "missing" from the music

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is there space to add an extra blaupunkt 8"? Or two!?

Does your amp, dsp or head unit offer a subsonic filter? Worth a try. My last system used underseat active subs, so not playing low lows, and putting the subsonic filter on really helped them out without noticing anything "missing" from the music
I dont have room to put another speaker. Oddly, I’ve been having the infrasonic filter on and it was catching some really low notes and bottoming the woofers. So I turned it off three days ago and it seemed to make zero difference. Then I turned it back on last night and it helped greatly with the bottoming on a particular song. I don’t know why. Weird.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I dont have room to put another speaker. Oddly, I’ve been having the infrasonic filter on and it was catching some really low notes and bottoming the woofers. So I turned it off three days ago and it seemed to make zero difference. Then I turned it back on last night and it helped greatly with the bottoming on a particular song. I don’t know why. Weird.
You are using the ssf backwards, turning it on removes low base and saves your driver.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
So I turn it off? (The infrasonic filter)
lol...no...turn it on to protect the woofers, and ease the load on your amp. Turning it on filters out infrasonic signal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
lol...no...turn it on to protect the woofers, and ease the load on your amp. Turning it on filters out infrasonic signal.
Thats what I thought...I turned it on last night...I can tell it doesnt drop as low but my subs dont bottom as easy.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Thats what I thought...I turned it on last night...I can tell it doesnt drop as low but my subs dont bottom as easy.
cool, i was reading it a little different. I thought you were saying with it turned on you were bottoming your woofers so you turned it off.

Reactions: KFXGUY

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I honestly find this as a fun challenge to get 2 8's to sound like they do. Everyone that has heard it thinks i have subs in a box in the trunk.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I honestly find this as a fun challenge to get 2 8's to sound like they do. Everyone that has heard it thinks i have subs in a box in the trunk.
I have 2 8's in a T-line box right now and LOVE the sound. I did do 4 8's in an IB set up about 10 years ago that sounded really good to me, but i did not have a completely sealed off set up and i was worried about over driving the woofers so i sold them.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
The Ultimax and Vegas are the best performing 8" subs I've tried to date in sure there's others, but they tick the mark economically. It's a matter of desired output the reason that most are quick to dismiss small subs in that application. I still find it odd that many will find premium stock systems satisfying yet think two aftermarket 8" won't cut it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The Ultimax and Vegas are the best performing 8" subs I've tried to date in sure there's others, but they tick the mark economically. It's a matter of desired output the reason that most are quick to dismiss small subs in that application. I still find it odd that many will find premium stock systems satisfying yet think two aftermarket 8" won't cut it.

Well I'm gonna see how these that i ordered sound. Maybe they will do it for me, maybe they won't. I may have to go to something else. I could always build a box to fit in side both side panels. Or maybe a box above the gas tank. I can build just about anything...I'm a fabricator...so anything is possible. Its just if I feel like doing it or not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I got them today. On a Sunday. FedEx, very weird. They are nice and look to be well built and well ventilated. The Xmax published is hard to believe. I could only push it in about 5mm. Maybe it move freely for 5mm and gets stiff, that pretty much what it feels like. The suspension looks like it will go further tho.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts