DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.Sience my helix p6b makes some vibration on some lower notes and muddy the whole music i decided to replace the midbass drivers. The midrange will be micro precision 5.8 and tw helix p1t. Sience the midrange will cover the upper parts what will be that driver that give emotions and have the wow factor from the list?
The list goes it s limited to 300 per pair so i have these options:
micro precision 3 seris midbass
dayton rs-180(very cheap)
dayton ps180
jl zr-800
seas prestige 7"
And if you have suggestion in that price range i m opened to them. Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
stevens mb8 or zr800's if you can fit either of them...

These are designed for free air though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
And are these going into doors or kickpanels? Sealed or free air?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I used the Rs180 in my last car in a 2 way set up and was happy with it. Planning on using it again in my Mazda. The Bose system is semi ok ish but definitely not what's staying in there

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
The ZR800 would be my first choice if you can get a hold of a set. Great drivers although a bit overkill for most applications. They're easy to detune if you don't need that much from them.

The RS180-4 (not the lower Q P version) are decent for a 2-way using a low resonance tweet around 2khz, but they're not really that great as a sole midbass in a 3-way. Really wish Dayton would make a more door friendly version. The RS225-4 would be a better choice for that.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So on the the list we can add peerlees sls 8" .They will be in door ib.The zr ar avalabile in my country and are 200 euros.
Anyone have an insight of micro precision ? I saw they are highly appreciated

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
So on the the list we can add peerlees sls 8" .They will be in door ib.The zr ar avalabile in my country and are 200 euros.
Anyone have an insight of micro precision ? I saw they are highly appreciated
If the ZR800 are available, get them and be done with it. That's how I run them... IB in the doors as they're designed for

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing as saw when reading over here.my concern are that the 8" will make my door card rattle like shit and murder the music.and i know that zr800 don t go up very nice and have alot of coloration. But still now i m thinking at sls 6.5 or zr800 . I really don t know ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another great thing is that the guy who want to sell the micro can send a pair to test them and it will be fair to give them a chance

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
One thing as saw when reading over here.my concern are that the 8" will make my door card rattle like shit and murder the music.and i know that zr800 don t go up very nice and have alot of coloration. But still now i m thinking at sls 6.5 or zr800 . I really don t know ?
ZR800 can be made to play nice in a door as Bayboy mentioned but it gets back to the install being important. And who cares if the ZR800 doesn’t play well up high when it will be used in a 3-way setup. Essentially, you’ll only be using the midbass as a midbass and that is the exact area where the ZR800 earned its reputation.

Nothing against the SLS 6.5 but for midbass duty, you might as well be comparing a Civic to an Acura NSX when also considering the ZR800. Cone area and excursion matter and the ZR800 wins both of those handily. SLS 8 may be closer but I’m pretty sure the ZR800would still win for midbass duty while the SLS 8 would probably be better in a 2-way setup.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I run the Zr800 up to around 400hz or so. Graphs are good for examining & comparing drivers, but aren't always concrete enough to present a major issue when installed. Other factors come into play for make it or break it rules. The response ripples shown are of very little concern unless you're chasing "paper perfection"... EQ is handling that and I do EQ past crossover points. My doors are decently deadened but nothing extraordinary. By the time the Zr800 are dialed in to mate with some Tectonic 3", I have no issues with rattles. They're smooth in the bandwidth given, low distortion, and provide more than enough output needed to plant low end up front... a feat that can take extra work from smaller and/or lesser drivers.

That said, I had some other el cheapo 8" midwoofers in their place beforehand and they also performed very well although they required more EQ to tame them. That's the major difference... better driver... less work to get right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the list is narrowed down to zr800 200euro new and micro precision 3.16 120euro second.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
As far as rattles are concerned, from my experience, you'll have more rattle issues from low Q loose suspension drivers forced to play beyond their IB capability vs a driver well suited for it. That's unless you settle for crossing the low Q driver higher, but that kind of defeats the purpose at times.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the micro precision 3.16 midbasses because it will help me till i l get a midrange. Tomorow i think it will arrive and give you some impressions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so the micro precison arrived today. First impression on them vs the helix .they have more output on the bottom (maybe they re rated 60w and my amp deliver 40W vs the helix rated 100w) , the upper ranhe 2-3k it s more detailed and less ear fatiguing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the new amplifier arrived yesterday for midbass(pdx 4.100) , my old one puts 40w per channel. The first impressions are that sounds the same volume wise , I may be wrong but should not sound a little louder ? the gain is at the minimum, that means 4v. Or i can bridge the pdx for 200/channel or send 100w for tw and bridge the dls ultimate for 180w for midbass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts