DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the front speakers in my 2018 F150 truck. The front speaker locations take either 6.5" or 6x9 speakers, and tweeters in the A-pillars. I want to go component speakers to take advantage of the already existing tweeters in the stock locations.

I mostly listen to classic rock/80's and like a little bass. I already have a 10" sub behind the rear seat so I feel like I have a decent handle on bass.

I will probably initially power the speakers off the stock headunit. Eventually might replace it with one of the little class D amps like the Kicker Key180.4 or similar.

The two speakers I'm looking at are the Morel Maximo 6 (6.5" components) and the Infinity Reference 9620CX, which is a 6x9 component set. I really don't know a lot about either brand to be perfectly honest. I'm more of a home audio guy. The reason I'm considering the Morels is everyone keeps telling me what a great bargain the Maximos are, and the Infinity Reference because the REF-9620CX are 6x9 (more woofer area) and they're cheap compared to the current model of the same speaker (the REF-9630CX).

I will treat the inside of the doors with Noico 80 mil deadener, and am considering the Install Bay silicone speaker baffles.

I am curious what you guys think about the two speaker lines mentioned here. Is there a clear winner or mostly just personal preference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
IMO the Infinitys are good but a little too bright and the Morels are ok, but a little too dull. I usually don't like to be the guy who says spend more $$$, but if you can find the Kappas on sale, those are similar to the Reference, but not too bright. Either way, those are very different sounding speakers, so see if you can listen to them first.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Infinity's are designed for making the most out of less power. You said initially you will power them with the head unit. Infinity's are 3ohms and the Morels are 4ohms. Just based on using the head unit power, I'd go Infinity and that way they will be just a little louder from the get go. JBL is another choice to look at. JBL/Harmon/Infinity all the same company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't want to wind up with a too-bright speaker. Are there other brands I should be looking at? My budget is <$200 for the speakers. The only real rules are components and either 6.5" or 6x9.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I really don't want to wind up with a too-bright speaker. Are there other brands I should be looking at? My budget is <$200 for the speakers. The only real rules are components and either 6.5" or 6x9.
What is bright to one may not be bright to another. You can just eq it if they are too bright or not bright enough. Don't let someone else's perception of sound dissuade you from making a purchase. Most component sets come with crossovers and 9 times out of 10 the tweeters are adjustable with a switch on or in the crossovers to either boost or cut the tweeters output. click the brand names to follow links to some decent buys for component speakers.

Image Dynamics

Diamond Audio

Hertz

Sundown Audio

Alpine

CDT Audio

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd go 6x9 for the surface area. And it just so happens I have a kappa 90cxs comp set in the classifieds cheap.

I had a morel tempo 6.5 set years ago and my understanding is the old tempos are very similar to the current maximos. (They made some changes a few years back I think?)

I absolutely loved them, and was very impressed.
Very clean, warm, and non-fatiguing.

Any of the reference series I've heard have been bright. What previous posters said was true.

But nothing that cant be tuned.

But I'd still go 6x9. If you are able to utilize that size, imo, it'd be a complete waste not to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts