DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Well I have been working on this 98 Grand Cherokee the past few weeks and been having one hell of a time setting up the audio. My first attempt was a Kenwood X-395, Kicker DS65's in all 4 doors, Kenwood 4 channel amp with 50watts rms per channel, along with a Kicker 10" 4ohm sub on a Kicker 125x2 bridged amp.

What I liked:
The head unit
The sub/amp combo was plenty

What I didn't like:
The Kenwood amp was noisy, I replaced it with an Alpine and it sounded much better, until I shorted out my OEM wiring on one of my doors presumably by having an amp on it and using Speedwire. I returned the Alpine amp because at that point I was fed up with all of it. Ahhh rookie mistakes, :(

The Kicker Coax's, while they sounded great, I was not able to get them loud enough to overcome the road noise of the Jeep. Alot of this I believe to be due to how low the speakers sit in the doors. The rears are basically doing nothing but filling the floor with sound.

I have now went through the pain in the ace adventure of rewiring all 4 speakers, which had molex connectors to drill, wow what fun that was, and I want to hear some tunes now.

So...
Do you guys think I should skip having a rear stage? If so, I would like to spend about 100-120 on a component setup for the front, with my hope being that moving the tweeter up the door panel will bring the stage up and overcome some of the problems with loudness. I don't require tons of midbass and such, honestly I had the Kickers crossed over at 120hz and the sub set at 120 and it was plenty good for my drive to and from work and through the woods on the weekends as this is just a "beater" truck in a sense. Primairly looking for a quality sounding set that will have no problems belting out at pretty high volumes with no distortion.

If I skip the rear stage I could drop down to running just 1x 4 channel amp and have my front stage on it, and bridge the sub, which will save me some space. Assume that I will have 50-75watts rms when helping me choose the components. It also has 6 3/4 openings, so its ok if they are that size

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
polk db. i heard them on the wall at audio shop. i was impressed by $100 set.

then i heard them in a honda element, again impressed. and this was after hearing some expensive, active, perfect EQ setups

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB6501-6-5-Inch-Component/dp/B000P0R6LQ

and yes skip rear speakers. fronts off an amp will be loud enough for passengers, and if its done right u wont notice rears are off

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool I will have to audition those. Open to all suggestions at this point.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts