DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on how I can best use my 35xx series Alpine amps in my desired set up. I love the sound of these amps and have collected what I think should get me going in the direction I'd like to head. I'm not looking to go crazy as I don't have lots of power (or headroom) just a simple, dynamic audio reproduction starting with a 2-way active plus sub and hopefully upgrading to 3-way active plus sub (DSP necessary).

I already have:
(2x) Alpine 3553
- 35x4 @ 4ohms
-100x2 @ 4ohms

(1x) Alpine 3566
- 30x4 @ 4ohms
- 60x2 @ 4ohms

Front stage:
Midbass - Dayton RS-180s
Midrange - Dayton RS-75 (already own)
Tweets - Undecided (may use the Cerwin Vegas I have running now)

Head Unit/Crossover:

Alpine 7894
Alpine 3672

My initial thought would be to run the 3566 for the front stage, bridging the lower powered channels for the tweets and using the stronger channels for midbass. For 3-way I'd use all channels for midbass, midrange, and tweets. Easy enough.

Figuring out how to best use my 53's for sub duty is proving to be a challenge. I'd like to go IB behind the rear seat but I'd need suggestions for subs that would give me the low end I desire. I figure I could bridge each channel, which would leave me with 100x4 @ 4ohms, to possibly run a pair of low power DVC subs worthy of IB (100 watts RMS to each coil). Sounds crazy but if it can work I'm all for it.

If that plan just isn't going to happen I was thinking of using the 53's as left/right amps and using the MB Quart mono amp I have already to open up IB sub options.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
How much power is the mb quart amp?

My humble opinion is if you like the sound quality of the Alpines then use them on the front stage where it matters more and use the sub amp for sub duties.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The MB Quart REF1.800 is [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected] Plenty of power for an IB application, was just hoping I could throw together an all Alpine 35xx series setup.
I hear ya. From what I've read 200 watts to an ib sub should be good. Do a search on here and you'll find several ib sub recommendations and you might even find a nice pair in the classifieds. I believe Bertholomy has a beautiful pair of ascension audio 12s for sale, if he hasn't sold them yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya. From what I've read 200 watts to an ib sub should be good.
That's why I was hoping to get the 3553's in there somehow, pipe dream I suppose.
Do a search on here and you'll find several ib sub recommendations and you might even find a nice pair in the classifieds. I believe Bertholomy has a beautiful pair of ascension audio 12s for sale, if he hasn't sold them yet.
I've done my fair share of searching, the usual suspects like AE, AA, JBL, Dayton, JL, etc. would all be ideal, but my wallet doesn't think so.

I've been toying with the idea of dipping my toes in IB with 3 Rockford Fosgate Punch XLC 10s I have hanging around. I've modeled them a few times and they seem to get low enough to have some fun, but would ultimately like to run a pair of Acoustic Elegance 15s. The Pyle's that a few people like to run seem like a very good starting point if I don't try out the 3 RF 10s first tho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just make sure the subs are 4ohm. bridged that amp will probably fry with a low ohm load.
Of course, the ideal sub would be dual 4ohm coils with an rms rating of 3-400 watts, getting 100 watts per coil from each channel bridged for IB. I'm just not sure if my "ideal" is practical.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What about running each 53 bridged to 2 channels. 1 goes to midbass, 1 to midrange and you get good stereo separation, then bridge the 66 for your tweeters. You'd have the most headroom on midrange and tweeters but the RS180s ought to sound nice on 100W too.

Then, obviously you'd want the mono amp on sub duties to keep up with the front stage.
There were a pair of alpine type-r dvc 8s for sale about a week ago that do very well IB . cheap too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about running each 53 bridged to 2 channels. 1 goes to midbass, 1 to midrange and you get good stereo separation, then bridge the 66 for your tweeters. You'd have the most headroom on midrange and tweeters but the RS180s ought to sound nice on 100W too.
That crossed my mind as well, just a little bit differently. Bridging one of the 53's for midbass and run the other in 4 channel for mids and tweets. Don't want to throw in the big 6 channel just for tweeters.

Also, just for the sake of experimenting and since I have everything to make it happen I think I'm gonna do a wideband 2-way active front stage. I haven't decided on tweeters yet, my rs 180's should be on my doorstep in a few hours and the rs 75's are in front of me right now so why not do a Dayton reference front end. Gonna put the 75's in the a-pillar off axis, firing directly across the dash with the 180's down low in the door (pretty big doors I might add in a 96 Accord Coupe)

Then, obviously you'd want the mono amp on sub duties to keep up with the front stage.
There were a pair of alpine type-r dvc 8s for sale about a week ago that do very well IB . cheap too
I do like the type-r 8's but displacement is what I'm after. I'd throw a pair of the RF Punch XLC 10s I have in the rear deck before I'd pay for the type-r's, but all 3 are going behind the rear seat in due time. Need to break out the cardboard and start mocking it up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
wow, now i feel like an idiot. i misread your first post and thought the 3566 was 4ch initially.

i like the idea of the RS front stage. the 75s are supposed to be very nice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, now i feel like an idiot. i misread your first post and thought the 3566 was 4ch initially.

i like the idea of the RS front stage. the 75s are supposed to be very nice
No worries, I appreciate the comments regardless. The big brown truck just dropped off some goodies too.

Time for some baffles!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts