DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This isn't a Vs. thing, more like me asking to lean on your experience since I have no good way to really test these drivers, no where that I know of in MO carries these brands..

So I have my front doors and install finished and perfected, but my speakers are a little weakers than I would dance for, so I am using some tax monies to try to fix that prob and I want your allses helps! I run a 3 way active and have a mini DSP 6x8 on the way and a sub about to be installed, so consider it a 4-way active system I guess, and its in a single cab 2006 Silverado 1500 truck. I am currently running Jl audio CS200 2 way component tweeters and 6.5s (I am going to replace the tweeters soon too) and dayton audio 3s in the doors. I run midbass something like 125hz - 300hz, possibly as high as 600hz sometimes, I've been toying back and forth. The thump is ok, but I want it louder, with more power handling and more chest rattling thump, the closer I can get to take my breath away the better. I am running a Jl audio 360/2 to the midbass, but I am considering also getting an amp for the midbass that has 200w per channel and better signal to noise ratio, because the 360/2 kinda sucks there.

I am leaning towards a pair of CDT-ES06+s or Hertz SV 165.1s on a Jl audio rd400v3, but I want your suggestions!

I am considering my final setup being Morel Supremo Piccolos for tweets, Esotar 3 or Revelator 12Ms for the mids, and CDT-ES06+ or Esotars for my Midbass and 2 Sundown Audio Sa-10's for my doom dooms.

Amps: (realistic, because my dream would be using all trus, lol,)
JL audio Slash 300 on the tweets and mids, Diamond Audio Hxm800 on the midbass and Sundown audio Sax 1000 on the subs.
My budget is something like 600 absolute max, 400 would be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

PUNCH!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think the cdt drivers are excellent! I did an install in a mustang with them in a three way.

the esotars are great mids but nowhere near great midbasses, the midranges 430 are some of my favorites though.

Reactions: MistaOnePunch

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
I can tell you my current Hertz XL mids are damn near identical to the old JL ZR800s I had before. The ZR800s are well known to be mid bass monsters.
The SV is more of a well built pro audio driver, meaning dumb loud.
I always thought CDT drivers felt cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Another mini question.. If i were to cut down the mounting rings at an angle so that the speakers are more on axis, would i get a better response?

Also, Help me maybe decide on a different amp, I think I want like 300 watts to them? And the lowest possible noisefloor, thanks!

Also let me take a second to say I love this forum and you guys have been so much quicker and more helpful than a few other forums I have been trying out.. I feel at home!

PUNCH!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
If you want loud as balls with good build quality then yes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok im pulling the trigger on the Hertz SV's, now i need to choose an amp. I am pretty sure to get the power I want I will have to get a 4 channel amp and bridge 2 channels. Does this degrade quality or raise noisefloor?

PUNCH!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im thinking Image dynamics sq 800 and trying to get it modded or mod it myself to bypass the pres.. Or a Rockford Fosgate Prime R600-4D. Either bridged to the Hertz's. I believe this will be an upgrade from my entry level JLs.

PUNCH!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Just get the most power you can get. CT sounds had a few large full ranges for cheap a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so This amp: Rockford Fosgate R600-4D into Hertz SV 165.1. Do you guys think I will be pleased? I mainly want thump and to feel my chest vibrate with the supre processed kicks or well produced kickdrums, im not an SQ snob until about 600HZ, then I switch it up to SQ parts, or want to rather. I cant wait until I can afford my piccolos!

PUNCH!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
I'd try to do better on the amp. That one will do as it says but you can do better for the price. Look at the Zapco ST-4. They have a few models

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My budget is 350 absolute max on the amp and the zapco is 400 and has a higher noise floor than the prime which is 320. Any other suggestions? I am pulling the trigger tonight but I really want the input of this forum that I have been lurking forever!

Zapco STNR is 85db and the Prime is reported as <90db

PUNCH!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
Which was $400? They are under $200

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
That Rockford is only 100

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that amp for real? The noise floor and price and watts are unreal.. Does anyone have any experience with this amp? It would save me enough to get a new alternator!

Could I bridge it to the Hertz sv 165.1's without any problems? they are 400 max and i dont want to fry them..

PUNCH!

·
Banned
2,276 Posts
It's legit. NVX is a great budget brand. They do tend to copy others and even use the same build house.

Never look at max. It has no real world application. They would've fine on 1000 watt amp if you know what you are doing. Having more power then you need is good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts