DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to rebuild my home sub to maximize it's potential. Thinking of a ported/slot ported design which would have both of the subs in the same airspace. I'm open for suggestions! What I'm looking for is detail for music but still having the ability to support a good home theater. I have included a picture of the sub I built below. It has 2 seperate 1cuft enclosures. I'll be running the sub with a Dayton HPSA 1000R amplifier which is 500w at 8ohm or 1000w at 4ohm. I have 2 8ohm Peerless XXLS subs which I will wire for a final load of 4ohm. I know we have some great builders on here so give me some suggestions please. The pic makes it look hazy and crappy but in all actuality it's smooth and matches my NHT speakers perfectly. I'm even considering a coffee table subwoofer design!

On another note I have been considering adding a 6.5" mid and a ring radiator and designing some monster towers. They would of course have seperate binding posts for the sub so I can run them from the Dayton amp. I was thinking maybe some Scanspeak Revelator 7" drivers with some Scanspeak R3004 Rings. I will only need a 2-way crossover design so it shouldnt be too complicated. Thinking of using birch then doing some glass work on the exteriors of the towers to smooth them out and add some uniqueness.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Model it in WINISD. I'd just go for a low tuned ported enclosure if its for movies. If music, maybe keep it sealed or a bit higher of a ported alignment.

I built my home setup with a ported Dayton ref 12 sub where the sub is firing frontwards and the port down at the floor (up on legs). If I did it again, I would reverse those, with the sub down and port forward to help protect the sub.

Does your receiver support 2 sub channels (7.2 vs 7.1)? If so, then you could split the subs up and put one on each side. Might not make that much difference, but still. I wouldn't go the tower route unless you have experience designing crossovers or could find a proven design (which are probably out there).

Post up pics once you build it!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just finished building a new ht sub myself, old stryke AV15 in 6 cu ft tuned to 18hz and it does an awesome job on movies and music. If I were you I would run the numbers in Winisd or bassbox real quick & go for either a coffee table build or 2 end tables, that's just full of awesome.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking something like this... 2 sealed 1.25cuft enclosures hidden as a coffee table. With 1000w this thing would rock.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Consider room nodes.... A coffee table sub will not be supported by the home theater equivalent to cabin gain, but that may make it easier to tune for the room. Knowing what your processing capabilities are would help. For instance- my bedroom HT receiver is only 7.1 but has a decent Auto-tune that does a decent job.

A quick test for nodes is to put the sub where you will be listening, then roam the room in search of hot spots. When you find a few that are aesthetically acceptable, put the sub there and listen from your viewing spot.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts