DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am finishing up the tweet pods in the a-pilars project and am casting glances at my mids. I will post pics soon but I have a mazda speed 3 with the CDT M06 mids. I want mucho more mid-base, so I need to seal them up (the doors are sealed as much as is possible) but I want them in a totally sealed enclosure.

I can do it with the stock door panel and just fire them through the stock door grill that says "bose".

What I want is to put together ideas for taking out the stock grills and finishing it better. i am hoping to get pics of what others have done. Like I said I will post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
You wanna keep those pockets?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind losing them, but I am only wanting one 6.5 in the doors and I gotta think there is a way to make that area where the stock 6.5 is do what I need.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
You want different grills or an exposed speaker?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basically what I envision is a totally sealed cavity (CDT recomends .3 cubes). I would like that to fit behind the stock door panel with the driver mounted securely to the cavity. AND I wold like to cut out the bose stock grille and put in something different. It would also be nice if I can get just a little angle up on the drivers.

I have some of those foam inserts to protect the drivers from water, I was thinking making those be part of my cavity and reinfoce them with fiberglass, then adding some MDF speaker rings...

the part I have issue with is how to make the new speaker grills set nicely on the door panel

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Not really an issue if you have a router table, a few different bits and a creative imagination. I am sure we can figure something out for yah.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I could use that foam piece and reinforce it... then layer some fiberglass inside the door panel to get the form of that.. then smush the two together with MDF in between.

The part that has me nervious is cutting off the bose grilland ensuring I get a nice looking replacement.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
I think I could use that foam piece and reinforce it... then layer some fiberglass inside the door panel to get the form of that.. then smush the two together with MDF in between.

The part that has me nervious is cutting off the bose grilland ensuring I get a nice looking replacement.
Well, if you cut the "No Highs, No Lows" grill off just outside of the silver, then make a ring of your liking that will have an insert, also of your liking, that will slip into the opening you cut, you will not have a symmetrical placement on either side, but be able to cover up any sloppy cutting.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Making a replacement grill is half the battle. Making your enclosure and building it up to the grill is the other half.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts