DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
almost the entire time ive had a system in my car ive had a whine. sometimes i fix it then it comes back for no reason. now ive had a louder whine where its actually annoying and ive gotten static. its mostly out of my tweeters but my mids and midbass only hiss pretty quietly, noticeable but not annoying. i thought maybe its my amp or my ms8 but no. i unplugged the RCAs from the HU, no difference. unplugged RCAs at the amp, no difference. unplug speaker wires and it goes away. i just swapped amps and the whine went away but the static is worse... so here i am.

two runs of 1/0 power and ground from front battery to rear battery.
power on passenger side, speaker and RCAs together down the middle.
my front battery might be bad due to a parasitic drain. dont know if that could cause it.
MS-8, PDX4.150 replaced with crescendo 1000.4.

unless the battery could cause this, i am all out of ideas. help me out guys.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Sounds like the amp itself or connection back, maybe the ground. I hate to say it but the PDX are known to have a high noise floor and unsure of crescendo. I would also try moving the grounds and/or changing the way it's grounded ie sanding paint, using non-zinc plated bolt, etc

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya... i just hooked up the pdx to a battery outside the car and used an old speaker to test it and it still had noise. so i might just have two bad amps here. not a huge deal i suppose as i was thinking about getting a better SQ amp.

do you know if there is a way to improve the PDX? maybe better caps? i have access to professional tools at work and a few hardware engineers that are happy to help. plus i do a lot of soldering myself.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Sorry I know nothing about modding amps but I would guess its the switching power supply or class D chip. But honestly think it's the amps themselves if you don't have any ground issues

1 - 4 of 4 Posts