DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been leaning on your advice a lot and you have not failed me a single time yet. So here is my dilemma: I have installed all of my new toys and sure enough it dims my headlights, I was really trying to keep the stock alternator, but its not in the cards it seems..

So help me find a cheap alternator! I am running about 1480 watts I believe, so I think I need an alt around 180 or 200 amps just to be safe. The cheaper the better! I am running out of car audio funds!

Thanks in advance!!

PUNCH!

·
Registered
19,493 Posts
Never get a cheap alternator. That's just throwing money in the garbage. The cheap ones usually have lower idle current than factory ones and don't last long. Look into singer, Ohio generator, and mechman

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Agreed, do not buy a cheap alternator. You will be replacing that two or three times for every batter you replace. What is the rating of the stock alternator? I've got about 1,400 watts available as well, and with a 90 amp Bosch alternator I have absolutely no problems. To clarify, you are not running 1480 watts, you have 1480 available. Big difference.

·
Registered
19,493 Posts
Yup, do a big 3 first and if you have any noticeable voltage drop, then upgrade

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
What vehicle do you have? Sometimes you can find an OEM option that is either a stock upgrade or a new improved model over the alternator you (no pun intended) "currently" have.

That and do the Big 3 as others have said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! Thanks for the phenomenal responses in lightning fast time!

I drive a 2006 chevy silverado single cab 1500, and you are saying with my stock 105 amp alt I should be fine.. hmm..? wonder what the issue is, because I am DEF not using all 1400 available. I however checked earlier and it seemed like the dimming had stopped, IDK what exactly I have going on, lol! Oh well, I still have to install my DSP anyway, maybe ill recheck the wiring job to check for issues.

Any idea of affordable but still decent side post batteries?

PUNCH!

·
Registered
743 Posts
a denali alt may fit, it did for my suburban.
went from the stock 110 amp up to a much stronger 180 amp alternator and it fit
perfectly.
good idle current too.

oops, almost forgot
KABLAMMO !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill check that out to see if it could fit! and then check some junkyards. While we are here if you don't mind, maybe you can help me pic out some bang for the buck 3 or 4"s.
I am running hertz sv 165.1s for my midbass because I love hxc thump, and was planning to cross them over at 600hz, where my Dyton rs75s would take over, but I am thinking of upgrading them. Should I get 4"s that dig deeper and xover my midbass at 300 or 350 to get more energy out of them? Or should I stick with 600hz but get new drivers anyway? Or should I just stick with the daytons, because they don't sound terrible, I just figured I could do better if I doubled the price for each or so, and I got them for like 35 a piece I think.

PUNCH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts