DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help in the Subwoofer selection process, been out of the game too long :(

Car: '02 Camaro Z28 "Corner loaded" in rear left of hatch enclosure ~.60 cu/ft. SEALED :

Amplifer: old school MTX 5400X class D sub channel, birthsheet says 275 watts at 2 ohm

Needs:
High sensitivity would be nice ! as I don't have much wattage
2 ohm load (dual 4 most likley)
No extreme mounting depths ~6"
Looking for about a 65/35 SLP/SQ split

I installed a Infinity Reference 1060W in a friends car and it worked well (7.8/10 IMHO), So I could use the Infinity Reference 1062W, BUT I think there might be a more obscure brand / sub that I'd like better ;)

Subs I've owned / own:
OLD! Anaba Audio DEVASTATOR (2) 12" 's sealed
OLD! Blues (2) 10" 's ported
P.G. (1) XS10" sealed
MTX 5000's (3) 10" 's sealed
Kicker Comp (1) 10" ported
Audiomobile EVO 2210 S24 (2) 10" sealed

THANKS ! ~DaVe

·
Registered
524 Posts
I had the same car. I added a JL10w6 (in JL's stealthbox) powered by two channels bridged on an old school MTX 4300. There was also a verion with the 10w1. I would look for a generation 1 10w6, wire it to 3 ohms and call ita day.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same car. I added a JL10w6 (in JL's stealthbox) powered by two channels bridged on an old school MTX 4300. There was also a verion with the 10w1. I would look for a generation 1 10w6, wire it to 3 ohms and call ita day.
I looked at the JL 10W3v3-2 as an option (it's 2 ohm) .. BUT sorta on the low range of it's "power scale" ... I feel anyhow their chart shows differently ???

~DaVe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd suggest our M-104D. It's a great sounding sub and very affordable. It also works very well in smaller sealed enclosures and with modest power. We changed it for 2011-12 to a Non-Pressed Paper cone and if you go to pasmag.com Gary Springgay does a write up on the 12" and it reviews nicely. Our Western sales rep Jason Hannon currently uses one in a JL stealthbox in his Element off of the 5the channel of our XAX-5640 and it sounds very good.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I have owned the same car (a '98) for many years and have lots of experience with this location....

First of all, if you already have the box, you will need to measure the hole cutout. From my experience, if the outer diameter of the sub is more than about 10.5, it will be hard pressed to fit.

I tried JL (W3 & W6), Image Dynamics, Infinity, Dynaudio, Arc Black and several others (the Dyn and ARC Black used a very modified box in that location), and I would recommend the Image Dynamics IDQ10v2 would work the very best. It needs to be a V2 due to outer diameter. This sub performs incredibly well in that enclosure. The only problem may be finding one in good shape.

The other sub I had pretty good luck with was the JL103v2 woofer. Again, did well and does not require a ton of power.

If you want to modify the box and gain more airspace, let me know and I'll tell you what I did.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
YES ! Please tell me about the box modifications ... Even getting it to .75 would help !

Would the JL 10w3 V3 still work as well as the V2 ?

~DaVe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Options so far:

Infinity Reference 1062W
JL 10W3v3-2
JL 10W3v2 D4 (also been hard to locate, missed an eBay one :( )
Image Dynamics IDQ10v2 (So far impossible to find)
JBL GTO1014D
Power BASS M-104D

~DaVe

·
Registered
556 Posts
A Polk MM1040 DVC might do well in there as it likes .66 cu. ft. Sealed.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update to an ancient thread ...

BUT I was able to find a VERY reasonably prices used JL 10W3V3.2 on DIYMA !

So it's on it's way :) I'm excited ! ... I hope my OLD MTX 5400X has been eating it's wheaties since I think the JL might be slightly more power hungry than the little class D channel has to offer !

~DaVe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts