DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2014 Rousch Raptor in Tuxedo black. Awesome truck, but the audio is lacking, to say the least.

The original owner spent a LOT of money on upgrades all over the truck: In-bed ABS drawers, abs deck, folding hard tonneau, lift kit, big brakes, rims, suspension... spared little money, except the audio system, where he evidently ran out of money, lol.

Currently the stock touch screen head unit's speaker outputs go to a PAC PDLC81, '8 Channel intelligent digital line output converter,' and from there to an Audiopipe APMI-55100, 5 channel amp. From there it goes to a set of 5x7s in the rear doors, and a set of 6x8 mids in the front doors, 1" tweeters in the A pillars, and a single 8" Massive sub in an enclosure. Pretty much crap, all the way around...

I just bought the truck 3 months ago. I'm 54, and my last non-oem car stereo was in the early 90s, a punch 100 pushing 4 12" subs in an extra-cab NIssan pickup... there were probably some mids and tweeters, but I don't honestly remember much else except that my head unit was a $489 sony tape deck w/RCA outs for front, rear, and sub, which was AMAZING for back then...

So even though this is a cheap system, it was sounding pretty good to my old ears for the first few weeks I owned the truck, but about then random speakers started cutting out, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for days...

I tested the speakers individually, and they are all ok. Tested the amp directly to the speakers, and it appears to be fine. The Line out converter/crossover thing, though, is FOUKED.

Anyway, I don't want to spend any more money than I have to, so I want to start by replacing the PDLC81. It's definitely faulty.

I've spent the last 3-4 days reading these forums and re-educating myself about modern car stereo, and it seems to me that a DSP w/speaker-level inputs is the way to go.

I'm going to continue using the Audiopipe 5channel amp for now. If the DSP solves my problems, then I'll stop there.
My dilemma is choosing between a JL Audio FIX86, Audio Control DM-608, or Mini Dsp C-DSP 8x12.

Are there other DSPs that I should consider instead of these? If not, which of these do you recommend for my situation?

IF a DSP doesn't solve all of my problems, or if I want better sound, I will likely replace the speakers next....

Thanks in advance.

Pics of current install:
Rectangle Font Line Metal Glass
Rectangle Font Line Metal Glass
Grey Rectangle Font Road surface Gas
Automotive tire Automotive design Sleeve Motor vehicle Grey
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Car seat cover Car

Grey Rectangle Font Road surface Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Car seat cover Car

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive design Sleeve Motor vehicle Grey

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not based on name brands or price,
in the situation you’ve explained, I would think you want the one that has enough channels for all the speakers you have and or eventually add

1 - 2 of 2 Posts