DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 09 Ford f150 crew cab with four doors. I'm looking at putting a nice system in however I don't want to go over 1500.00. I want to keep my stock head unit as I like the functions and clean look. So I am going to be using a Caché COE6 its like a clean sweep but heard its better as it has 6 outputs. That's around 150.00 I have also found a speaker box that will go under my rear seat to hold two 10's there is another 150.00. I need help with a good set of 6 1/2 component speakers for the front and a set of 5x7 coaxial speakers for the rear door, and two 10" subs. Also will needhelp with amps. I've been told to run one for the front and rears and one for the two subs. I have heard good things about JL stuff but am limited on knowlege and that is why I'm here. I have no clue about how many watts I'm going to need either so if you guys don't mind helping me out with a good package I would be greatfull.My local shop wanted 2000.00 for a JL set up with a clean sweep. I like tinkering on my own stuff soI thought I could probably get a nicer system if I bought and installed it myself as long as I took my time. I'm 41 years old and won't be going to compititions or anything I listen to anything from hard rock to country. I'm just wanting a nice crisp and clean sounding system, as my stock system sounds muffledand muddy sounding. Thanks for your time and effort helping me out!
Scott

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
As far as speakers go, look into the JL Audio C3. You can do 6.5 components up front and 5x7 Coaxials in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Power, more the better. I would give a little to get smaller size too. Like these, Precision Power P900.4 (p9004) 4-Channel Phantom Car Amplifier Precision Power P1000.1 (p10001) Monoblock Phantom Car Amplifier

That's $400 spent. With the $300 you mentioned for box and Cache processor that's $700.

Expect to spend $100 in install materials. Wire, RCA's, batt. terminal, etc. So that's $800.

Subs, they will depend on the enclosure because the depth is likely to limit your sub choices. I would try to spend $100-125 each on these, no more. Just no necessary for a good sounding system. Up to $1000.

Rear speakers, I would go cheap! Or even use the factory ones, or cut them off all together as I would. But $50 none the less because most people can't get past not filling the holes with new speakers. $1050

Some sound deadening for panel vibration and some materials for sealing the doors. $100. $1150.

Rest on front door speakers! That's $350 on those. For a grand total of $1500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found JL makes a JL Audio C3-570 they are 5x7 components and would fit right in the stock speaker location instead of modding it for 6 1/2s. The couple questions I have is is there a big difference in sound from a 5x7 component vs a 6 1/2 component speaker if so what would the difference be? Also if I left the stock rear speakers in like schmiddr2 suggested would you tie those in to the amp? Thanks for your time, and help on this guys and gals!
Scott

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
If you're going to keep the rear speakers stock, look into the JL C5-5x7 components or Coaxials (they make both).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really sure If I want to leave them stock or not.. I would have thought it wouldn't be good to leave them stock but then again that's why i'm on here looking for direction...LOL
Scott

·
Registered
81 Posts
6.5 inch speakers into factory 5x7 locations will require modification to the door, or a baffle. Adding a baffle could possibly cause your mid bass to hit the interior door panel. Measure your clearances and consider what they will be with 1/2" and 3/4" mdf. I would suggest not using them and go 5x7. I have no experience with a 2009 but I have an issue as described in a 2000 with a JL C2 6.5 set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone also mentioned this set up....

Focal 165VB -299.00 (front doors)
Focal 130 CVX -154.99 (rear doors)
2 RE Audio SEX 104d's -149.99 ea. (subs)
RE Audio XTX 3000.1 -309.95 (mono for subs)
Rockford Fosgate P500-4 -259.99 (for doors

What do you guys think of the difference in Focal speakers and JL...Also what do you think of this set up in general...or compared to what schmiddr2 recommended to me? Just trying to find a really nice set up! Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
77 Posts
That almost my exact setup except i did 130a1s in rear doors...Dont think i really needed the rear tweets and shoulda done the 130cvx's.....Gunna add a MS-8 to my setup and see what that does....Everything sounds great now just trying to improve sound stage and clarity.....

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
My suggestions are more just to give you an idea of how to approach the build. You have to determine a few things if you want to follow this approach.

How much depth does the enclosure have available?

Do you plan to do sound deadening and sealing on the doors? Specifically the front doors.

Have you tried demoing a few cars? It's the best way to learn what you really want in your car.

As for the all important front speakers, I'm sure someone here can pick you out a nice set, but reading reviews and auditioning a speaker in person can be very helpful. There are hundreds of amazing speakers out there, so don't let one person slam out some tunes for you and be overzealous about them. Keep listening.

Have you considered a 3-way? The install can be much more difficult but the gains can be worth while for someone who is good with fabricating.

Check out welding cable, like this, https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF::::PA#A2 , 2 gauge will be plenty but the bigger you get the more power you can supply if you change amps later on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this is what I ended up going with...

Precision Power P1000.1 -----Sub Amp

Precision Power P900.4------Door speaker amp

JL audio C5-570 components ----Front Door Speakers

JL audio C2-570 coaxial -------Rear Door Speakers

RE Audio SEX10D4--------- two 10" Subs

Ported FoxBox----------two 10" sub box for under rear seat.

Cache COE8------------enabling me to use stock head unit

Scott

·
Registered
340 Posts
Someone also mentioned this set up....

Focal 165VB -299.00 (front doors)
Focal 130 CVX -154.99 (rear doors)
2 RE Audio SEX 104d's -149.99 ea. (subs)
RE Audio XTX 3000.1 -309.95 (mono for subs)
Rockford Fosgate P500-4 -259.99 (for doors

What do you guys think of the difference in Focal speakers and JL...Also what do you think of this set up in general...or compared to what schmiddr2 recommended to me? Just trying to find a really nice set up! Thanks
Scott
the focal PS165 sounds better than the VB. i believe its the newer model that is supposed to replace the VB. id ditch the rear speakers for now and put the money on the front.

bought 4 speakers before only to end up selling all 4 so i could get a better set for my front stage.

why not just get one sub first. more money for the front set. just add a second sub later down the road.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well this is what I ended up going with...

It seems like you have honest to god decent stereo components. The sound will depend how well it's installed and setup. Only the subwoofer box _might_ need to be tweaked. The reason is that for best performance, the ported boxes need to be tailored to subwoofer's parameters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haven't picked any up yet...I was going to put sound deadening if I was getting a lot of rattling.. Otherwise was going to not do it...

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
That's fine. Sound deadening is nice, but sealing off as many holes in the door as you can is the key to better sound. And make a good baffle, also sealed.

It's likely you will get rattles somewhere, and any place there is a span of flat sheet metal you could put deadening to prevent the panel from resonating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are the baffles the stuff I see that would go behind the speaker in the door around the magnet? If so is there a good thread on making them or should I just buy a set? Thanks for your time!
Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts