DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, and congratulations on a very informative site npdang!

Ever since they were originally reviewed, I have thought about the possibilities of using dual Aura Whispers for midrange duties, playing approx. 300hz to 3khz or more. By all accounts these little 2 inchers seem to be a great idea for the confines of a kickpod.

In the interest of keeping my post simple, I will only focus on the passenger side kick. The Aura mids will be aligned vertically butted flange to flange.

Here’s the problem that keeps bouncing around my mind. If the mounting baffle is mounted at…say…a 70 degree incline, the top mid will be further away from the drivers listening position. In turn, in a vertical alignment, the top mid will be closer to the passengers listening position. I can’t help but think that the different path-lengths for each mid at each listening position will cause problems.

In my mind, the solution is to have both mids equidistant from each listening position. I.E. – each mid set to distance D from the drivers seat, and each mid set to distance P from the passengers seat.

Please share your thoughts. Am I making this more difficult than need be? Any other problems that may need attention when running dual midranges?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Don't waste the capabilities of the Aura Whispers by exiling them to fire at your ankles. If you're going to use them, use them right and mount them on the a-pillars or sail panels, or in the dash or upper doors.

You will find that, unless you expect a super-low crossover frequency, one per side will suffice.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Theoretically, I think it can be somewhat complex to think of the driver to driver interaction. You also have somewhat of a line source radiator going on now as well. So the vertical dispersion may not be as easy to imagine as you would using just one driver.

In practice though, I wouldn't worry about the slight difference in distance or anything else that I may have mentioned. It'll pretty much sound like one driver, at least in my experience. Make sure to place them in sealed enclosures, perhaps with a bit of wool or polyfill stuffed into the chamber.

Fwiw, I'm currently listening to the 3" alum, and although the sensitivity is a bit low it sounds amazing. Very clear, balanced sound. You may want to investigate that instead of using 2 of the Whispers... although it's a pretty tough choice. The whispers have just a slight edge to them at 1-2khz that I don't find all that appealing, but they are so small that you can mount them up high which is nice.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The 3" that your playing with right now, is that the NS-193-8A? After reading through Zaphs wide range tests it seems like the 193 may very well be the driver for me.

I noticed that Solen suggests a ported box for the 193, but Zaph recommends against it. Have you been able to play with them enough to offer an opinion?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
PlanetGranite said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The 3" that your playing with right now, is that the NS-193-8A? After reading through Zaphs wide range tests it seems like the 193 may very well be the driver for me.

I noticed that Solen suggests a ported box for the 193, but Zaph recommends against it. Have you been able to play with them enough to offer an opinion?
Yep that's the one. As a midrange it's great... very wide bandwidth. But I'd probably cap it out at around 8khz or so, and definitely not take it below 200hz. I mean it can certainly play fine unfiltered, but if you crank it you can hear it start to struggle at the top and bottom end.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i actually emailed zaph(john krutke) over which midrange unit (the hi-vi b3s or the aura ns3) he felt was more appropriate for car audio and a 250-6.3KHz crossover point.

The basic point i got from him is this: there is hardly any audible difference between those drivers in the midrange, so he recommends the cheaper hi-vi. but he also says the aura's xmax of 5mm will help you if you want to crossover your speaker lower, like below 250Hz. Personally from what he said though, i would go with the aura. I like the underhung motor, and the 5mm xmax is mighty attractive.

Either way, though, there was one caveat: he says he would choose the b3s only if he had to, he would not use the aura or the hi-vi if he could avoid it. He says that because of its very poor sensitivity, so i wouldnt suggest using those drivers unless you are going to mount those things on your dash very creatively so you get the least distance between you and those speakers.

In the end i scrapped the idea of using those. i was almost dead set on using the aura ns3 as a midrange in a future setup. Maybe i'll still try it again one day, after all its so damn cheap.

Just some helpful calculations i did based on the Aura and Hi-Vi to figure out the maximum output level at the bunch of frequencies. the figures are derived from a mathematical formula. Maximum SPL at a given frequency is a function of cone area and excursion. anyway here it is

Aura NS3

At 250Hz, max spl within linear limits: 108db
At 200Hz, max spl within linear limits: 104db
At 150Hz, max spl within linear limits: 99db
At 100Hz, max spl within linear limits: 92db

Hi-Vi B3S

At 250Hz, max spl within linear limits: 104db
At 200Hz, max spl within linear limits: 100db
At 150Hz, max spl within linear limits: 95db
At 100Hz, max spl within linear limits: 88db

From the data, given the limited powerhandling of the b3s and the aura ns3, the drivers will almost surely be thermal power limited rather than excursion limited, unless your crossover point is very very low.

With 15W of power to each driver, you would be able to only achieve about 92db of SPL unless you cross high so that you dont stress the driver needlessly and thus are able to bump the powerhandling up a little. Personally, i would cross the drivers at about 200Hz and give them as much power as they will take without bottoming out. I am somewhat heartened by john's graph of excursion vs frequency in his HiVi page: it shows that the B3S will handle 128W of power without exceeding xmax if you cross it on a steep slope at 200Hz or higher. And that gets you 100Db output level. Not too shabby, but you will need a beefy amp to give you that kind of power at 8 ohms! Anyway i believe the aura could easily handle even more power than the b3s if you had an amp which could feed it. anyway with 200Hz and 128W, if the resultant output level is enough for you, then you've got a winner. But if not, then you'll have to look elsewhere. but hey, its only 10 or 20 bucks :p

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
You definitely nailed that one on the head.

My experience is generally that, if you're using it above 200hz, or especially above 800hz that 92db is actually quite sufficient... and actually quite loud. Our ears are more sensitive at those frequencies and most music isn't too demanding. Try playing a 1khz tone at 90db its pretty loud. But you're definitely right about the low sensitivity of these drivers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uggghhh! Compromises! :?

Since I'm not looking for an ear-piercingly loud system, these seem to be right on the cusp of do-able (with my meager 35W @ 8ohms). Hmmm. Thats about 95db through the midrange. Will it sound a bit anemic down around 200 - 300hz?

Thanks again for the help!

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
PlanetGranite said:
Uggghhh! Compromises! :?

Since I'm not looking for an ear-piercingly loud system, these seem to be right on the cusp of do-able (with my meager 35W @ 8ohms). Hmmm. Thats about 95db through the midrange. Will it sound a bit anemic down around 200 - 300hz?

Thanks again for the help!
95db is pretty damn loud at that frequency...

·
Registered
164 Posts
well granite, cheap is definitely right, 90+ db is mighty loud and since maximum SPL is not your goal here, it may just work. Why not give the auras a try first. Hook it up to that 35W @ 8 ohm amp you have and see how it turns out. I think it should be enough if you dont want to get mighty loud. If you get hungry for volume later, you can try an amp swap to about 120W and see if it gets you adequate output levels(which i believe it should do)

I would love to hear your opinion once you've tried them. i am insanely curious as to how the aura will do as a car midrange. very well, i suspect,sensitivity issues aside.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help guys :)

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Auras. I think they will be fun to mess around with, and....heh....if they aren't loud enough, they can come in the house for computer speaker duty. 8)

·
Registered
164 Posts
PlanetGranite said:
Thanks for the help guys :)

I'm going to pull the trigger on the Auras. I think they will be fun to mess around with, and....heh....if they aren't loud enough, they can come in the house for computer speaker duty. 8)
Spoken like a true champion! :D

Please post your review of the aura in this forum once you've tried them out. i'm dying to get some reviews from people who use these speakers in a car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to bring this back up top, but I have one last question since I haven't been able to get the Auras yet.

Subjectively, would there be much of a difference in clarity or detail (in car) between the NS3 and the Vifa MG10?

Thanks....yet again! :)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Yes definitely. The Auras are very clean, open sounding. The Vifa mg/pl are noticeably heavier, warmer sounding but on the plus side MUCH more efficient.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Thank you A$$hole, for bringing some of these golden threads to the attention of some of the umm...NEWER folk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts