DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be upfront with everyone first. This will be a SLOW project because I have to save up for everything slowly. Having a kid and buying a house kind of sucks up all of my money quickly. That being said, I'm not going crazy with my budget, but my budget isn't set in stone either. I need help picking out almost everything for my system with the exception of the head unit.

Right now I have a 2003 Camry XLE with a 6 disc CD changer and the JBL sound system installed. I will not cut up my door panels or modify the looks of the Camry in any way. Everything I do will be 100% reversible. I like my legroom and I probably won't use custom kick panels either.

I've decided the first thing I'm going to buy is this head unit because it meets me needs and has most of the features I want. Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Since this will be a slow project, I'm going to take it in steps. The next logical step would be an amplifier. I'm thinking a 4 channel amplifier so I don't have to find a good mounting location for two amps. More than likely, however, the best mounting location will be in the trunk somewhere. The plan is to run a set of passive components up front, no rear speakers, and eventually a subwoofer or two in the trunk. Channels 1 and 2 for the components and 3 and 4 for the subwoofer(s). Just out of the blue I'd guess ~150w RMS at 4 ohms per channel should do, or at least an amp that pushes 100w RMS at 4 ohms on channels 1 and 2 and 300w RMS at 4 ohms on channels 3 and 4 bridged. Something along those lines so I can run a small subwoofer or two eventually. Wanting quality but please don't break my bank. I've been through my days of junk equipment already. Amps I was looking at are the JL 450/4 from a non-authorized dealer for about $400 and the Cadence TXA-6004 (not sure of the quality of these). Make some suggestions.

Next step will be components up front. I like quality sound, but for some reason I want to be a cheapskate on components at the same time. I've run several sets of DIY components in the past and I think that's the route I'm going to go this time, at least to start...unless someone can come up with a good suggestion for $200-$300 for a packaged set. I won't be using a subwoofer for a while IF I ever actually put one in, so a strong midbass is key. I don't want overpowering or harsh sounding tweeters either. The Camry has stock 6x9's in the front doors and dash tweeter locations. I'll want to use those locations for components, but the door midbasses will be 6.5"-8" circular instead of a 6x9. If I go the DIY route, I have a set of 3500Hz passive crossovers that I would like to incorporate. For highs, I was thinking of using the Morel MDT-12 tweeters. Midbasses: I don't know. I have been pleased over the years with my Dayton Classic 6.5" midbasses. Suggestions please. I'm not horribly interested in an active setup in this car, but if the 4 channel amp I get has a good crossover on it, I might run active with the amplifier and get a mono amp for the subwoofer(s) I'll probably eventually get. I'm running active 3 way in my Blazer right now and passive just seems like a simpler and easier setup for this vehicle. Suggestions?

Now onto subwoofer(s). As I mentioned above, the amplifier I want will feed me about 300w RMS at 4 ohms. Nothing too serious, obviously. I had in mind perhaps an RL-i 8", a pair of Tang Band W8-740P 8" subs, possibly using the Crossfire CF-28 I have somewhere, or something else that fits those power requirements. Nothing over a 10" please, and to be honest I've always had a desire to use a dual 8" sub setup, but I've also always liked the RL-i 8" sub as well and I don't need that much in my Camry. If I go RL-i, then it would be a single. Your suggestions again.

I've got more than enough wiring for this project. I have something like 30' of 1/0 welding cable left over, probably about that much 4 awg, and a spare set of 4 channel 4m Knu Konceptz Krystal Kables.

Rather than tearing up my nice vehicle, I'm not going to deaden the whole thing. Both front doors will be deadened heavily. The front floor and firewall will probably also be deadened. Camry's have a good amount of factory deadening already. And when I do sub(s) in the trunk, I'll deaden that as well.

So there you have it. I'm not rich, but I don't want junk. I'll take my time to save up for quality equipment rather than buying the cheap stuff now.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Did you have any questions? Doesn't seem like it.

Oh ya, what kind of amp - for the price of the JL there are better options. Since you are in no hurry, wait around for used amps or NIB pre-owned amps that are so often sold on this site.

Same with components, so many speakers are sold in almost new condition on this site. Why not get something like the PG RSD comps that comes with a passive crossover tho?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've got an almost new AVH-P4000DVD I'm replacing with something else, I'm going to be putting it up for sale if you're interested. I've got the iPod cable and a basic Pioneer remote control for it also.

Also I've got inbound a Helix HXA 500 MK II 5-channel amp and a set of Pioneer TS-C520PRS 5 1/4" Components, I had a plan for these but it changed so these will be for sale also. Do some research and let me know if you'd have an interest, these would make a good package and they seem to be in your price range. I could give you a good deal on the lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know JL is pricey. I've been out of the serious audio loop for 3 or so years, so I don't know what brands have gone to crap, what brands are still good, and what to buy these days. Hence the reason I'm asking for help. Please make some suggestions! As components go, I have no idea what's good or not because I usually mess around with piecing together my own. A packaged set would be fine as long as it's good.

I'm certainly not against used equipment either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts