DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm very new to the audio game.

I want to make my own boot display peice but electrically I'm not so clued up. I want to make 1 unit out of wood and carpeted with 2 subs in it along with 4 normal speakers around the outside.

I've found some pioneer 30cm 1300w subs I like the look of.

I need to know what speakers x4 I could use. What amp I would need and how I wire this thing in safely.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Is this for show? What is your goal? From a sound quality standpoint, your idea is bad, it won't sound very good inside the car. I could see this being somewhat ok for a tailgate party, but if that's your goal you'll probably need to add another battery to keep the music playing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's for shows. Boot will be open and car in the open so needs to be pretty loud. Hence the speakers in the unit also.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Ok, if the car is running you should be fine on power. The problem you're going to face is that if the speakers all share the same air space as the subwoofers in the box, the movement of the subs will also move the cones of the speakers you install. They'll act as really crappy passive radiators in addition to trying to play the fullrange signal you send them. They won't sound good. If you can build a separate section within the box to isolate the subs from the other speakers, that will help a lot. I wouldn't put particularly nice/expensive speakers in there, they won't sound particularly good regardless, maybe do some 5.25" coax speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, if the car is running you should be fine on power. The problem you're going to face is that if the speakers all share the same air space as the subwoofers in the box, the movement of the subs will also move the cones of the speakers you install. They'll act as really crappy passive radiators in addition to trying to play the fullrange signal you send them. They won't sound good. If you can build a separate section within the box to isolate the subs from the other speakers, that will help a lot. I wouldn't put particularly nice/expensive speakers in there, they won't sound particularly good regardless, maybe do some 5.25" coax speakers.
Okay that makes sense. I can do separate boxes for them. What about the amplifier? So the speakers run off that also or just the sub. And if the subs are 1300w each do I need amps to match that wattage? I know very little about amps.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
You'll need a fullrange amp for the fullrange speakers, a sub amp won't be fullrange. Matching wattage isn't particularly important. More power just means more output, up to the limit of the speaker. You can get a less powerful amp, or a more powerful amp, either will work. The less powerful amp may not push the subs to their full potential, and the more powerful amp may need to be dialed back to keep the subs within their power handling limits. Keep in mind that it required double the power for only a 3dB increase in output, so going from a 1,500 watt amp, to a 2,000 watt amp (for example) won't even be audible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I need the subs. The sub amp and a separate "full range" amp for the speakers.

What about fuses and guages of wire. How will I know which ones I need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts