DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this year I had an audio system installed by a local shop, thinking that this was a great save money and get a better system than the one the dealer provides. My mistake!

The install job was a joke, it's gotten to the point that I've taken over trying to fix it. I'd rather the shop not touch my car. I kept the stock HU and had Phoenix Gold 6.5 components installed in the front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. These are being powered by a Rockford Fosgate 400W 4 channel amp. They are wired through an LOC off the HU. I've also got a Rockford Fosgate sub powered off of its own mono amp. The issues that I've corrected so far are the fronts being wired out of phase at the LOC. This was causing issues with the sub. The power was not ran through my firewall, but rather they loosened my steering column boot. This resulted in a lot of engine/road noise entering the cabin as well as moisture. There have been several loose connections as well.

Currently I'm having issues with the front 6.5 woofers. They will periodically start to crackle when they play bass. The issue occurs most frequently with the left channel, so I rewired from the amp to the crossover, but the issue persists. I also soldered the connections at the speaker since they were somewhat loose, but this also did not solve the issue. This morning both the left and the right were acting up. I did a couple minutes of experimentation and found that if I adjusted the HFP up I could increase the volume before the crackle would start. If I adjusted it up to 250hz I can increase the volume almost all the way to where I would typically have distortion. It seems odd that I would need to set the HPF so high, since the speakers are rated to 60hz. Any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot this or what the issue might be?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear all your frustrations. What kind of car is it?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Unfortunately, the crackling from your mids is likely being caused by your stock head-unit's poor signal quality.... If you do a little searching (on this forum and others) you will find many issues coming up, including crackling, when using the stock head-units in many late model Toyotas. My theory is there is some sort of dynamically controlled bass boost built in to the stock headunit that may be clipping the inputs of the LOC/Amp as higher volume levels.

I verified the high noise floor coming out of my 2015 Camry Entune Premium myself and had to replace it in order to achieve the quality sound that I'm after. Do you hear a constant hiss coming out of your tweeters?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Earlier this year I had an audio system installed by a local shop, thinking that this was a great save money and get a better system than the one the dealer provides. My mistake!

The install job was a joke, it's gotten to the point that I've taken over trying to fix it. I'd rather the shop not touch my car. I kept the stock HU and had Phoenix Gold 6.5 components installed in the front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. These are being powered by a Rockford Fosgate 400W 4 channel amp. They are wired through an LOC off the HU. I've also got a Rockford Fosgate sub powered off of its own mono amp. The issues that I've corrected so far are the fronts being wired out of phase at the LOC. This was causing issues with the sub. The power was not ran through my firewall, but rather they loosened my steering column boot. This resulted in a lot of engine/road noise entering the cabin as well as moisture. There have been several loose connections as well.

Currently I'm having issues with the front 6.5 woofers. They will periodically start to crackle when they play bass. The issue occurs most frequently with the left channel, so I rewired from the amp to the crossover, but the issue persists. I also soldered the connections at the speaker since they were somewhat loose, but this also did not solve the issue. This morning both the left and the right were acting up. I did a couple minutes of experimentation and found that if I adjusted the HFP up I could increase the volume before the crackle would start. If I adjusted it up to 250hz I can increase the volume almost all the way to where I would typically have distortion. It seems odd that I would need to set the HPF so high, since the speakers are rated to 60hz. Any suggestions on how I can trouble shoot this or what the issue might be?
Trying turning down the volume on your headunit and turning the gain up on the LOC.

Now about the loosening your steering column....wtf?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm contemplating replacing the HU, but I don't want to spend the money if that's not the problem. I've had issues with the left tweeter earlier on, but wiring straight from the amp, instead of into the existing wiring harness seemed to correct that. No hissing from the tweeters. I had a system hiss after the install, but that was because the install shop had set the gains way too high. The odd thing is that I don't seem to have the same issue coming from the rear speakers. I plan to switch the front and rear channels coming out of the amp tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the Toyota HU. Which HU did you go with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying turning down the volume on your headunit and turning the gain up on the LOC.

Now about the loosening your steering column....wtf?
It wasn't the steering column, it was the boot at the bottom where the steering column goes through the firewall.

There are no volume controls on my LOC. It just converts the HU output to RCA for the amp.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It wasn't the steering column, it was the boot at the bottom where the steering column goes through the firewall.

There are no volume controls on my LOC. It just converts the HU output to RCA for the amp.

Then down on the headunit and up the gains on the amp...

Regardless, loosening anything to get a wire through...total ****

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm contemplating replacing the HU, but I don't want to spend the money if that's not the problem. I've had issues with the left tweeter earlier on, but wiring straight from the amp, instead of into the existing wiring harness seemed to correct that. No hissing from the tweeters. I had a system hiss after the install, but that was because the install shop had set the gains way too high. The odd thing is that I don't seem to have the same issue coming from the rear speakers. I plan to switch the front and rear channels coming out of the amp tonight and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the Toyota HU. Which HU did you go with?
I'm currently using an Alpine X008U.

After you lowered the gains to get rid of the hiss, are you satisfied with the amount of clean output your getting?

I know the rear channels on my stock head unit had different output level / frequency response then the front (verified with an RTA connected directly to the speaker outputs)... basically less output and less lower frequencies than the front outputs. Now I don't know if the Prius is the same but this may be why you're not seeing the same crackling issues with the rear channels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm currently using an Alpine X008U.

After you lowered the gains to get rid of the hiss, are you satisfied with the amount of clean output your getting?

I know the rear channels on my stock head unit had different output level / frequency response then the front (verified with an RTA connected directly to the speaker outputs)... basically less output and less lower frequencies than the front outputs. Now I don't know if the Prius is the same but this may be why you're not seeing the same crackling issues with the rear channels.
Once I corrected all of the loose connections, etc., I’ve been really happy with the sound. I’ve just never been able to have the system go more than a week or 2 without an issue. They’ve almost all been with crackling, sound stage shifting or signal dropping in the front channels. I guess that I’m going to have to look at the HU. I’ve already pulled it out once, so I know the install is pretty easy.

·
ROCKY TOP
2,069 Posts
I would go back to the shop and tell them about it. You paid for the install, its there responsibility to get it right!! Thats total BS!! Would u be willing to tell the name of the shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts