DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have managed to purchase the following equipment over the years to build my dream sound system . Its going in to a Land Rover Defender.
What I have purchased so far is,

1 x head unit McIntosh MX406
1 x McIntosh VU meters
1 x McIntosh 12 Stacker CD changer
1 x Focal Utopia be 3 way (front)
1 x Focal Utopia be 165 (second row)
1 x Focal Utopia be 21wx 8" ( I am looking at purchasing an additional one of these )
1 x Pioneer DMH-WC660NEX Modular Multimedia Receiver with 9" ( I am looking at purchasing one of these, so I have backup camera's + Multimedia)

What I am looking at is achieving the best Sound Quality .
I am in favour of Sinfoni amps according to the review's that I have read up on, to drive the Focal's ( Although unsure which models to go for?)
Any ideas of which speaker/ power cables to go for?

Do I need a DSP? if so ?
Do I need additional power?
Am I missing anything else?

TIA

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just get high qaulity copper cables from brands like Chrutchfield, Knukonceptz, or Rockford Fosgate. I have also liked the NVX brand for power wire a lot.

The DSP is one of the single most important tools to achieve high fidelity sound in a vehicle. I think JL Audio makes a fantastic DSP for the enthusias, especially an enthusiast that is new to DSP’s. That being said, HELIX makes some of the most powerful DSP’s when installed and use by a trained professional, and SkizeR is the man you want to talk to about that. He owns his own shop and is the go to guy for HELIX. He is also a SinfonI dealer and it wasn’t that long ago he had some Sinfoni amps for sale.

Reach out to SkizeR and he can point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I have not been to Sri Lanka, so I don't know what is available and who can tune it...
I would get what can be tuned locally, or what can be tuned remotely.

Is it is going into a car for street use, or for remote use?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
What did I miss that made you think he was from Sri Lanka?
I was kinda wondering the same... profile says he's from: Sydney, Australia.

Anyways, back to the questions;
For the equipment you already have; I'd 100% recommend getting a Helix DSP.
Sinfoni amps are beautiful. As are; Brax, TRU, Genesis, Phass, and MacIntosh. Any of them would be a good match for your Utopias.

If you have already settled on Sinfoni amps, then choosing the right one(s) is almost dependent on how much room you have to mount them.
The new Sinfoni Heritage line of amps are considered to be their 'low end'... but they are still better-built than most other amps out there.
If you have room for big amplifiers, then go for the full-blown Prima Series. Best of the Best.
Quartorigo Desiderio

I know Skizer has done remote tuning. To be honest; I'm not sure how it's done, or to what level it can be done.
Definitely get hold of him, and see what he recommends; SkizeR

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
A DSP will make a FAR more significant of a difference than a high end amp like the sinfoni will. Sinfoni makes beautiful amps, but if the budget gets tight, take some money from the amp bucket and put it towards a DSP. A high quality common amp from a good manufacture like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. paired with a good DSP will have significantly more potential than a boutique amp like the Sinfoni and no DSP. If you can swing the amps you want and a good DSP that's awesome, but for a "dream sound system" a DSP is 100% a must.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A DSP will make a FAR more significant of a difference than a high end amp like the sinfoni will. Sinfoni makes beautiful amps, but if the budget gets tight, take some money from the amp bucket and put it towards a DSP. A high quality common amp from a good manufacture like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc. paired with a good DSP will have significantly more potential than a boutique amp like the Sinfoni and no DSP. If you can swing the amps you want and a good DSP that's awesome, but for a "dream sound system" a DSP is 100% a must.
Thanks very much , if I go for the boutique option :) which DSP would you recommend? It will need to match the rest of the equipment in terms of quality & performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not been to Sri Lanka, so I don't know what is available and who can tune it...
I would get what can be tuned locally, or what can be tuned remotely.

Is it is going into a car for street use, or for remote use?
80% street use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just get high qaulity copper cables from brands like Chrutchfield, Knukonceptz, or Rockford Fosgate. I have also liked the NVX brand for power wire a lot.

The DSP is one of the single most important tools to achieve high fidelity sound in a vehicle. I think JL Audio makes a fantastic DSP for the enthusias, especially an enthusiast that is new to DSP’s. That being said, HELIX makes some of the most powerful DSP’s when installed and use by a trained professional, and SkizeR is the man you want to talk to about that. He owns his own shop and is the go to guy for HELIX. He is also a SinfonI dealer and it wasn’t that long ago he had some Sinfoni amps for sale.

Reach out to SkizeR and he can point you in the right direction.
I have seen on FB how Sinfoni amps are widely used with the utopia be's and M's. Im guessing it pairs up well?
Next would be is to decide Class A,B, or AB?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was kinda wondering the same... profile says he's from: Sydney, Australia.

Anyways, back to the questions;
For the equipment you already have; I'd 100% recommend getting a Helix DSP.
Sinfoni amps are beautiful. As are; Brax, TRU, Genesis, Phass, and MacIntosh. Any of them would be a good match for your Utopias.

If you have already settled on Sinfoni amps, then choosing the right one(s) is almost dependent on how much room you have to mount them.
The new Sinfoni Heritage line of amps are considered to be their 'low end'... but they are still better-built than most other amps out there.
If you have room for big amplifiers, then go for the full-blown Prima Series. Best of the Best.
Quartorigo Desiderio

I know Skizer has done remote tuning. To be honest; I'm not sure how it's done, or to what level it can be done.
Definitely get hold of him, and see what he recommends; SkizeR
I may go with Sinfoni , and space is not an issue I have plenty of boot space. I am looking at achieving best possible SQ.
Next would be is to decide Class A,B, or AB? , and figure if its the Prima Series or Quartorigo Desiderio to go for?.
Thanks and I will get in touch with SkizeR

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I would not waste a lot of heartburn on amp selection...But I do have some McIntosh and Phass.

APL also makes a DSP..
The MiniDSP 88A with Dirac was on my short list... it would be worth some investigation IMO.

From what I can see on my phone, YOUR ONE! LOL, sorry but it gave me a laugh, apologies again.
He must have been in Rottnest yesterday as that is sort of close to, Sri Lanka... it was not the same flag as it is today.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have seen on FB how Sinfoni amps are widely used with the utopia be's and M's. Im guessing it pairs up well?
Next would be is to decide Class A,B, or AB?
Are class B amplifiers even available for car audio? Ive tested many amplifiers on my test bench in blind testing and amplifiers which include Class D vs class A/B and you would be hard pressed to tell much of a difference in a vehicle. I haven’t tested Sinfoni though. You should get an amplifier that is qaulity and best fits your installation. Class A will require the most electrical from your charging system and they will be vary large relative to their power so many people only run class A on tweeters or midranges.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Thanks very much , if I go for the boutique option :) which DSP would you recommend? It will need to match the rest of the equipment in terms of quality & performance.
There are many really good DSPs, all with slightly different features, but the primary difference is the interface that is used for tuning, and the ability to auto tune. Helix and miniDSP with Dirac would probably be the 2 that offer the best tuning features, but let it be known that even a Dayton DSP has more tuning features than most people will ever learn how to use, and even if they know how to use them, they may not need to use them.

I've been going back and forth on a DSP myself, and I'll probably end up with the Dayton, or the miniDSP 6x8 (without Dirac). After enough builds I'm starting to learn where to draw the line between performance and price, and I just don't see a $900 DSP being worth it at all. A $275 miniDSP 6x8 has plenty of tuning features to get an amazing sounding system, hell the Pioneer P99 has plenty of tuning features for a great sounding system and the miniDSP would walk all over it.

In summary, the Helix Pro or Ultra (depending on how many channels you need), or the miniDSP 8x12 DL are probably the "best", but in my opinion their biggest selling points are their auto tuning, something that I'm not interested in spending an extra $500 or more to get.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Joe/Wiley, consider the JL TwK88 for its very good user interface for tuning. I find it much better than the Dayton 408 interface I have. The Dayton also is susceptible to more noise issues and with the kind of equipment Wiley is using he should not be considering the Dayton 408. The Dayton is good for what it is but it’s squarely aimed at budget minded people/systems. I have no experience with the MiniDSP directly but the good thing with mini DSP is that it works well with REW.

Best thing to do is try each brands software before you buy the DSP. JL at least let’s you download theirs to try it before you buy it. This will help you decide what works best for you. The JL TwK88 has three levels to chose from based on your ability and understanding which makes learning without screwing up something easier for the enthusiast, yet it checks off all the right boxes in expert mode for when that time comes that you are ready. I’ve used and own a HELIX DSP and it’s powerful but man, unless you do this every day, the HELIX software isn’t easy to learn but the auto tune feature might be worth considering. I personally do not recommend the HELIX DSP to anyone new to DSP’s or tuning and think the HELIX DSP should only be used by an experienced trained professional or advanced enthusiast. I think it’s clearly aimed more towards installers and not the everyday average enthusiast.

Willey, you should consider also how many output channels you may need. Some DSP’s come with only 8 output channels and others more. Next consider the many many DSP amplifiers from HELIX, Match, JL Audio, or others. Some of these DSP amplifiers make a great foundation for a a high fidelity system without taking up tons of space or requiring a lot of electrical work and you would be fooling yourself if you think their amplification parts don’t sound good. You could get an 8 channel DSP amplifier that is capable of running the whole system from one box.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts