DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to choose a 8" subwoofer to play from 60Hz to 200Hz (maybe 250Hz). The budget I am setting for the purchase of the two 8's is $250 shipped. They will be located in my doors, my current 6.5" will be put in kicks and playing ~200Hz to ~3500Hz and the 1" tweets I already have glassed in my sails and will be playing ~3500Hz and up.
The amp the 8s will be pushed by is a VIBE Audio LiteBox Stereo 4, it does 90 watts @ 4 ohms and 125 @ 2 ohms per channel. I want to run the drivers at 2 ohms but obviously if the driver has a single 4 ohm voice coil well...
Here is a list of what I currently got selected to choose from.
  • Rockford Fosgate P1S4-8
  • Rockford Fosgate P2D4-8
  • RE REXD4
  • Image Dynamics ID8v3D4
  • Sundown Audio E8v2D4
  • Alpine SWR-843D
  • JL Audio 8W1v2
  • Dayton Audio RS225-4
This is just a list that I got selected, if another driver comes to mind that fits my budget, please post it and if possible, tell me why you think this would be a good driver for me.

Thanks in advanced for the help,
stockley1234

·
2,103 Posts
What about the Rainbow x-plain 200??? Used a set of these in a ford recently and they are pretty wicked!!!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
For midbass duty, a real midbass driver, instead of sub will probably play cleaner. Besides, how are you going to fit driver like Alpine Type-R in a door? I'd look at Dayton Reference or Peerless SLS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For midbass duty, a real midbass driver, instead of sub will probably play cleaner. Besides, how are you going to fit driver like Alpine Type-R in a door? I'd look at Dayton Reference or Peerless SLS.
I was going to build out a few inches with MDF baffles. I'm pretty sure clearance won't be an issue for me with the design I plan on using. I was looking at the reference's and I can get them 150 shipped so I may use them. I have seen woofers like the P2 used as mid bass drivers so I figured I would gather up a few drivers and see what people say.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I think Peerless and Dayton drivers had been used and tested to death. You will find many reviews of them on this web site. The Dayton reference lineup has an 8 inch midbass and an 8 inch subwoofer. Peerless has SLS and HDS. I suspect that a lot of drivers designed for subwoofer duty, specially above, will not give you nice clean midbass. For one, a lot of them have relatively high inductance (often unstated) which acts as a low pass filter and may attenuate mid bass frequencies, not what you want.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I was going to build out a few inches with MDF baffles. I'm pretty sure clearance won't be an issue for me with the design I plan on using. I was looking at the reference's and I can get them 150 shipped so I may use them. I have seen woofers like the P2 used as mid bass drivers so I figured I would gather up a few drivers and see what people say.
P2 used as midbasses doesn't mean it sounded good. Use a real midbass driver for midbass applications.

Kelvin

·
Registered
564 Posts
Which 6.5" drivers do you have up front? That'll make a huge difference on where you need to have the midbasses crossed at.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Best 8" midbasses I've used were the ZR800s. If I could fit them in my MINI I'd use them again. They're fantastic. The RS225s were good but they sounded more like a sub to me than the JLs.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I usually tend to agree with the above posters but the Alpine type r used in a sealed door pod (.1-.2 cubic ft.) Will produce gobs of clean tight midbass. Trust me on this. You just need a midrange or fullrange that plays to 250hz cleanly. Some subs can pull off midbass if implemented correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts