DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to car audio and just put in my first system about a year ago. It's pretty bare bones, but I'd like to start upgrading it one piece at a time. I'm looking to upgrade my subwoofer to something that will provide better SQ. I'll list my system below:
1) Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-7300BT
2) Amp-RE Audio DTS500.4 (bridged for Subwoofer puts out 160W RMS @4ohms)
3) Sub-Rockford Fosgate P1S412 (I've been told this is really an awful sub!)

I realize my amp doesn't put out alot of power for a sub, so I'm very limited in what I can go with. I appreciate everyone's input!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd go up to $200 on the sub. I'm looking at the DCON, is 160RMS enough to make it hit pretty good?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'd go up to $200 on the sub. I'm looking at the DCON, is 160RMS enough to make it hit pretty good?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Keep sub you have and build a better enclosure that incorporates your power limitations in the design.

In other words a big ported or bandpass enclosure. Your sub should be adequate for your needs.

I am in the upper end of the age bracket (40) so remember back in the day when running a 100 watts on a single 10 was fine and got loud enough.

Going to a more expensive sub is only going to cost you money. The performance gain from the new sub on the same power and enclosure in my opinion will not be worth the money.

Remember that most subs of the same size in the lower frequencies run about the same efficiency. It's the enclosure that will dictate performance gains in output. OR you add more subs, power or both to get the output you are trying to achieve.

I blame physics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts