DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know setting them with a multimeter isn't the best way but I'm just looking for a starting point.

Here are my components and specs
Pioneer 4200nex head unit

Pioneer 9605 amp.
4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan. + 350 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan. + 600 watts x 1 chan.

Morel Maximo Components up front (running off of front channels of 9605)
90 watts RMS

Morel Maximo Coaxials (rear channels of 9605)
80 watts RMS

Pioneer sub TS-SWX3002.
400 watts nominal

Gonna follow this guide unless someone knows a better method. Link

I'm guessing my front and rears are running at 4 ohms? My fronts have the crossover that came with the morels BTW.

So, if it's 4 ohms I would set the front channels at 17.3V.
Rears would be 17.3V
Sub channel would be 18.7V

Does that look right?
Would it matter that the front channels are driving 6.5's and tweeters?

And I have a Frequency Generator app I downloaded. Would that be ok to use? I see where it says to change HZ but nothing about 0dB level????

I do have a bass control knob that goes in between the head unit and the amp for the sub. Do I set it at Min/Max or somewhere in between.

When I am finished I assume I leave the crossover in the headunit at whatever the default is or do I need to adjust it as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.
I hope to have time sat or sun to do this so any tips or info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
There is no reason why you tweeters would need as high of gain as the woofers.
And no reason that the woofer/MR need higher gain than the sub.

One could start with the sub, and then the midrange and tweeters will surely be lower.
Use the DMM on the sub and then crank up the the others from minimum until they sound about right or just a little too loud, and then you have some room for reducing the peaks with a DSP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can tell you that when setting the gain on the sub amp that the bass knob should be at max. I saw it on one of Steve Meade's YouTube videos when he was setting the gains on an amp. I had thought it should be centered, but I guess it makes sense to have it at max because if you set it at centered then if you turned it up it would be past clipping.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
I can tell you that when setting the gain on the sub amp that the bass knob should be at max. I saw it on one of Steve Meade's YouTube videos when he was setting the gains on an amp. I had thought it should be centered, but I guess it makes sense to have it at max because if you set it at centered then if you turned it up it would be past clipping.
Something needs to limit the volume?
If there something between the source and the amp limiting the volume? Of not then the amp should probably limit the volume... and the source an the amp are the only two things that can do it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Something needs to limit the volume?
If there something between the source and the amp limiting the volume? Of not then the amp should probably limit the volume... and the source an the amp are the only two things that can do it.
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference between a bass knob versus the subwoofer control on the head unit? Seems redundant.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure what the difference between a bass knob versus the subwoofer control on the head unit? Seems redundant.
No difference. It's just quicker to reach down and twist the knob than it is to get into the settings of your head unit and turn the subwoofer volume up or down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Understood. Out of curiosity, how often are you adjusting your subwoofer volume knob? Obviously I don't fiddle very much with mine and its usually set at 0 or -1 but I do find myself changing crossover slopes/points and TA for my subwoofer to get the result I'm looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Understood. Out of curiosity, how often are you adjusting your subwoofer volume knob? Obviously I don't fiddle very much with mine and its usually set at 0 or -1 but I do find myself changing crossover slopes/points and TA for my subwoofer to get the result I'm looking for.
I don't normally change my subwoofer volume. Where I would find it useful is when my wife rides with me. She turns the volume down to where the bass doesn't bother her. But then I can barely hear the voice and almost nothing of the instruments. So being able to turn the sub volume down, or off, would be useful when she's with me so that I can still listen to music.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
I see now it says "Bass Knob"... but I read it originally as the amps gain knob.

So does one set it to max for music with a strong bass? or a weak bass?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I see now it says "Bass Knob"... but I read it originally as the amps gain knob.

So does one set it to max for music with a strong bass? or a weak bass?
The way I understand it is the knob should be set to max when setting the gain. But then this means that you can never turn the volume of the sub up, you can only turn it down if needed. But technically you should never have to turn the sub up if you set it at it's maximum loudness during setup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My DLS A6 has a phase knob instead of a bass knob which I find to be the most useful but I'm searching for integration with the front stage and not trying to achieve crazy sound levels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts