DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just bought an older Jeep Cherokee for my son. It needed some cooling system work so I disconnected the battery and got to work. When it came time to flush the radiator I went to reconnect the battery and this ear-splitting siren goes off. Yes, this thing has an alarm system on it. News to me.

Anyway, now I am at a loss. When I try to reconnect the battery it freaks out. I know it is an Avital system but I have no clue what model it is. I'm tempted to just start removing things but I have no idea what I might break if I do. I've sent the previous owner a text but haven't heard anything back yet. Where the heck do I start with this?

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can disconnect the siren by cutting the ground wire for it. I would look under the dash and locate the alarm brain. Just unplug the wire harness from it until you decide what to do permanently.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Maybe disconnect its power? (Unless you have the control for it, in which case just disarm it but I assume ...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe disconnect its power? (Unless you have the control for it, in which case just disarm it but I assume ...)
I do have the control for it, but since I don't know the model or anything I don't know how to make it shut off with the remote. I did figure out I can put the key in and turn it to 'run', then reconnect the battery. So I guess that's got me off high center for now. Eventually probably will get rid of it but at least it is behaving at the moment.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If the alarm transmitter does not disarm the alarm or unlock the vehicles doors when you press "unlock"; try replacing the battery inside the transmitter.

If you want to disable the system without tearing your dash apart...
See if you can locate the valet button for the alarm system. Dependent on which model Avital is on the vehicle; the valet button may be built into an windshield mounted antenna or it's going to be a small black push button (size of a pencil eraser) that is tucked somewhere below the dash.

To Enter Valet:
1. Turn Ignition "ON"
2. Turn Ignition "OFF"
3. Press and release the valet button within 10 seconds
Alarm LED turns on solid once alarm is in valet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts