DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice for a first time deadener of doors? =)

·
Registered
75 Posts
and, clean it first, or potentially waste some deadener when it falls off and gets caught by the window or latch mechanisms. simple water rinse and thurough drying should be fine, unless you see oil/grease for some reason. soap can leave a film that would not help adhesion.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal thanks guys! Do I need a roller for the BXTII? It says I don't on their site but it seems like it would help in application....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I put the deadener on first and then attach my speaker rings on top or the rings first and work around them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a good question. Apply the deadener first . If there are any gaps around the rings, you can seal them with modeling clay.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good question. Apply the deadener first . If there are any gaps around the rings, you can seal them with modeling clay.
Awesome thanks a ton man!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have a good utility knife and lots of new blades handy, as well as some naptha and clean shop rags to clean up butyl residue around installed deadener so you don't accidentally get it on upholstery or trim during the install.

I use butyl rope caulk stretched thin (like what the factory used to use to attach water barriers to the inner door, available at auto glass repair shops) to seal up speaker rings where they meet door or deadener surfaces before final tightening of fasteners.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys keep em coming! I was supposed to start today but now it is pushed back until the morning. How big of holes do I need to cover up? I think the biggest hole in my outer door is like 4 inches. Can I just put the deadener over it or should I cover it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Be sure to apply to the outer door skin as well.
I plan on doing the inside and then the outside metal. Should I also put a layer on the backside of the paneling? (plastic)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Use gloves, like gardening or the mechanical gloves they sell @ home depot.
Will save you from cuts etc to your digits....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks guys keep em coming! I was supposed to start today but now it is pushed back until the morning. How big of holes do I need to cover up? I think the biggest hole in my outer door is like 4 inches. Can I just put the deadener over it or should I cover it?
You can use flashing from the home improvement store bent to shape and cut to cover individual access holes in the door. You can use screws to permanently attach these or use rope caulk to temporarily secure these, then simply apply your deadening over top of flashing and inner door.

If you need to cover wiring and actuator rods for locks to fully deaden the panels, you can make a sleeve to protect wiring and allow movement of rods using material like foam or plastic so the deadener doesn't impede function or otherwise stick to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts