DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first post :)

I have a 96 BMW e36 coupe. Finally have some spare cash to get a real amp. What I have to work with..

JVC KD-R826BT headunit
factory BMW poweramp in boot (Yuk!!!).
Boston Acoustics SR60's in the front
2 * JL Audio 8" 8W3v3-4 seperately boxed and ported through the rear parcel tray.

Replacing the carpet in a few weeks so will run replacement cabling throughout and some dynamat under floor and rear seat.
** Only interested in getting the best SQ out of what I have so please, no 'get a 12" sub' type comments.

What would you recommend to power these, preference for a single amp if possible as space is an issue.

Was looking at a JL Audio G Series G6600 and thinking of running channel 1/2 to front L/R and then bridging 3/4 and 5/6 for the the back L/R sub/fill - Can this be done?? Enough power for the 8's?

Also will I need filtering/EQ for the rears?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
You dont actually need a 6ch for that setup...a 4ch would work as well but more power or wiring option cant hurt either (BTW im selling an AudioSystem X-Ion 160.4 and 70.4 :D)

You can use the LP on the amp to filter the rears, no EQ is "needed" per se but you can always add one if you wanted to

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
You dont actually need a 6ch for that setup...a 4ch would work as well but more power or wiring option cant hurt either (BTW im selling an AudioSystem X-Ion 160.4 and 70.4 :D)

You can use the LP on the amp to filter the rears, no EQ is "needed" per se but you can always add one if you wanted to

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the XD600/6 a big improvement? Can get a good price on a clearance G6600. Will probably be importing from US so shipping and import duty will be close to the price of the amp .., ouch!!

Only reason I was looking at 6 channel was so I could bridge 2 pairs to get more juice to the 2 subs. The SR60's rated 85W RMS and the 8W3v3-4 around 150 so the G6600 would give me 2 * 55W and 2 * 150W (bridged).

Totally new to car audio but do have a good knowledge of big concert rigs so doing my best to try and apply it to a tiny car interior :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the 8" subs sound ok in series @ 2ohm mono with something like a JL Audio XD500/3.

What other makes of amps in the US$300-400 price range are worth considering?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts