DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I recently snagged what was badged as a US Amps VLX 400. However, it measures 40 inches in length and from the internals is clearly not a 400. It has only 2 transformers, compared to the 4 on the VLX 400. Also, has a 3-4 inch gap between two separate boards.
Looks just like the VLX 200 on Ampguts, but I've not been able to find a single other VLX 200 that looks the same...

Ampguts link: AmpGuts.com

Also, I've heard that there were several versions of the VLX 200, but that they were very similar. However, there is a very significant difference between my and the other VLX 200/400's I've seen.

Thanks,
Paul!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Certainly helpful, but not definitive. I believe I've got the 40 incher VLX 200 w/ vlx 400 endplates

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is my amp:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly! i'm rather confused... Literally the only thing I can find that looks like this is the "vlx 200" on ampguts, that is apparently also unique...

Still, this does seem to put out quite a bit of power at 4 ohm stereo. I just free aired my IDMAX on it, and it moved it pretty well.
Another unique feature is the cap placement. All the others have 3 groups, one of twelve, and two groups of 5. Mine has 12, and two groups of 3.

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
If you could modify the title of your post, it my help bring out the US Amps experts...like changing it to "Help, What US Amps amp do I have?"

I wish I could help, but not an expert on these particular amps.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good idea! unfortunately, i don't think i can/don't know how to

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thanks for the help guys. With the help of ampguts and some ppl on caco, I realized this is probably a first run VLX 200.
If you look at the first gen USA-400 on ampguts, you can see that it is the same board that I have. And because VLX's are basically two usa-400's, this is probably the first series before they switched over to the new 400 boards.

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
US Amps has a history of putting any board in any sink they wish with the way they change the boards around to make them different amps. Most companies use "this board" for "this sink" and it only fits that sink but US actually changes the motherboard, jumps out portions, adds torrids and caps, and BAM....... now it's an HC model. :D

Their flexibility at the most basic level is what makes them so fantastic.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help guys. With the help of ampguts and some ppl on caco, I realized this is probably a first run VLX 200.
If you look at the first gen USA-400 on ampguts, you can see that it is the same board that I have. And because VLX's are basically two usa-400's, this is probably the first series before they switched over to the new 400 boards.
Who is that guy that helped you on Caco? Lol. Yeah I'm on a lot of forums. After my buddy talked to Greg at U.S. Amps the other day, I'm convinced they never truly made VLX-200's in 44", only re-badged VLX-400's.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Put it this way, all three of these amps my buddy owns that we are putting in a build here in about a month say VLX-200 on them, but we were told they are all definitely VLX-400's by Greg....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any info on this US Amps USA-150 that I've had for the past 8 years. Got it a long time ago in a trade and have been running it at 4ohms Bridged to an IDMax. The only info I've found in terms of power have been for a USA-150X.

I'm considering selling it, so that I can get smaller amps for an easier install. What could one of these go for in decent shape?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually, those are worth about $0... Just send it to me and I'll take care of it for ya... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts