DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys some of you know i visited the states and looked for some 3 ways but after being messed around i never found any :mad:

As it stands I have loads of 2 way sets here -could I buy a set of 3 way passive XOs and buy some mids??? How would the impedences work out?

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok, im on the look out for the mid and XO

out of the following what would work best?

Tweeter: radial ring from my polk SR6500
tweeter from CDT CL62

Midbass: XXX 6.5" (xbl2)
I.D CX64
mid from polk SR6500

?

thanks again guys!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't rely on premade xover. If your actual crossover points will end-up with major overlap or hole, wrong phase, or wrong slope - what would you do with it?

If you have many part values to choose from (inductors,caps,resistors) in stock, go for it - make one by yourself.
If you don't - go active and forget the passive mess.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
ah ok, im on the look out for the mid and XO

out of the following what would work best?

Tweeter: radial ring from my polk SR6500
tweeter from CDT CL62

Midbass: XXX 6.5" (xbl2)
I.D CX64
mid from polk SR6500

?

thanks again guys!
I would take the SR mid over the other two. For the tweets, depends on how you're going to mount them. If you're mounting them in sails or in pillars, firing across the dash, then I would look at tweets that have good off axis response. The SR tweets are ring radiators, which have a very narrow dispersion and typically don't do well in the on/off axis placement of sail panels.

If you're going 3 ways I would look at going active. Integrating a 3 way is much tougher than a 2 way, so think about getting some dsp either via a hu or an outboard processor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all of the informative replies guys, after a lot of research while reading on here (and my own personal preferences) im thinking of running 2 way active with the sr6500 mid and a full range 3-4" mid that plays high. Personally i find most car tweeters cause me listening fatigue (just the way my ears are) so having a full range that cant quite reach the highest of highs may actually help!

does that sound reasonable or am i opening another can of worms??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts