DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to pick out my next 3 way setup for my next car, and this is what I have so far.

Tweeter: Rainbow Cal28
MidRange: Focal Utopia W 4" (forget the model)
Midbass: Dayton RS180-4

I know I will be using the cal28, since I have never heard a tweeter I like more. The midrange I am pretty sure about, I like how it sounds alone, but I have never paired any utopia stuff with the cal28 before so I am not 100% on how they will match.

The midBass however I don't know about. I currently use the rs180-4 in my other vehicle as a two way setup, and they perform great, but they are doing 80-2000hz, I don't know if they are the best setup for 80-250hz?

I am hoping to get some alt recommendations on the midrange and midbass, or at least some advice from people who use either of those models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Whats your budget for a woofer? Any depth concerns? How about overall diameter?

How will they be installed? Kicks, doors, ect....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Have you searched the member review sections, along with the Klippel test sections? There are at least a handful of reviews/tests that would REALLY help you along the way. I suggest you do that, and maybe come back with a more specific question.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats your budget for a woofer? Any depth concerns? How about overall diameter?

How will they be installed? Kicks, doors, ect....
They will go in the doors of an 05 volvo s60, I have 3" I could maybe go 3.25, the door will get deadened and sealed up as best as I can do it.

Overall diameter... 6.5 is whats in there now, but I am pretty handy and think I could cram a 7" in the door.

As far as budget, I was thinking around $200 but I am not afraid of the used market.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you searched the member review sections, along with the Klippel test sections? There are at least a handful of reviews/tests that would REALLY help you along the way. I suggest you do that, and maybe come back with a more specific question.
I have been peaking around in those forums, but I started suffering from data overload. The massive amounts of data, combined with the fact I can only understand half of if has forced me to go the more direct approach of just outright asking :)

The reviews have been very handy, but I am not as concerned with which is the best driver, as which is the best driver for my setup.

I love my cal28s and would like to build a system around those. I like the way the utopia sounds on its own but am not sure it will compliment the cal28 since i get the overall impression that it is a more aggressive driver. and as far as midbass is concerned I have no idea what to do there.

Also I have no idea how to interpret the klippel data.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do those depths include the mdf baffles?
its a straight 3" with no baffles, but I think I can bring the speaker out .25 with mdf, I haven't cracked the door panel yet, I am just going from what I have read in other forums for my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you end up doing grunge?

I landed here while searching on 'S60' because I'm trying to decide myself on what to do in my S60.

I'm leaning towards going to a 2-way in front, blanking the existing tweeter location and putting the new tweeter in the midrange location -- will get it closer to midbass and it's as on-axis as you could hope for in that spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts