DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

i'm currently running some old shool PG subs and diamond M661 comps up front off a PG M100 (subs) and Genesis profile 2 (components passively).

Basically i am redoing my system for next years SQ comps, but the car has to stay practical so going for a small efficient amp install, smart looking but not too "showy". I have set my sights on the Genesis profile sub to run the subs, and also a profile 4 to run the fronts actively (either through amp crossovers or with a new h/u), they both use the same case so will look symmetrical in installation.

I don't know if i should sell on the profile 2, or use it to power the tweeters, and use the profile 4 bridged for the mids. I'm worried about losing sq by bridging the amp just to gain some dynamics with extra power. Does anyone think its going to be an issue? Also it means i would have to find room to fit the Profile 2 in the boot build somewhere, its going to be a squeeze if i want to keep the planned amount of room. Car is a BMW E34 by the way.

Any comments/crit welcomed!

Cheers,

Gav

PS: i have a build thread on here if anyone wants to take a look if it helps.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Why is it that people lately have been asking question after question about bridging amps lowering the sound quality? It doesn't. If you think you can use the extra power then do that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is it that people lately have been asking question after question about bridging amps lowering the sound quality? It doesn't. If you think you can use the extra power then do that.
As far as i was aware, the THD of an amp changes when bridged. Maybe this is one for the MYTH section then?

Either way, thanks for the quick answer!

Gav

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
^x2 on what DR said

you will be essentially running the amp in 2ohm mode. THD goes up a little on paper, but in reality, you cant hear it anyway. if it is a good amplifier (and I know the genisis are) we are talking about it going from .05% to .1% not noticeable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^x2 on what DR said

you will be essentially running the amp in 2ohm mode. THD goes up a little on paper, but in reality, you cant hear it anyway. if it is a good amplifier (and I know the genisis are) we are talking about it going from .05% to .1% not noticeable.
Awesome, thanks for looking in on the thread!

I think i could definately use the extra power, i've heard the diamonds need a good kick up the ass to get the best out of them, and the profile 2 is only rated at 4 x 50w, but does around 2 x 120. The profile 2 is 2 x 75w so should be a decent match for 2 way active.

Thank again guys...

Gav

1 - 5 of 5 Posts