DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Been quite a few years since I’ve had a car to put audio in and reaching out for advice on speaker placement for my 2002tii. I have the original door cards and do not want to cut them, and front kick panel fiberglass would honestly be something that would probably take me too long to complete, so wondering how crazy it would be to have just 1 set of components, 2 or 3-way, amp driven all mounted in rear shelf where there is already speakers? If I did 3 way, my thought is to mount two of the speakers in rear and somehow get the tweeters up front? Or should all of it remain in the rear with tweeters aimed toward front? The rear glass is pretty steep in angle and it would all be immediately hitting off of that. Could I achieve decent imaging if I separate them and have a head unit with EQ and time alignment? I know this is far from ideal, but just wanting to fill out some sound and probably add a small 8” sub behind driver seat to have some occasional tunes. It’s an extremely small cabin so speakers aren’t too far away from my ears. I searched forums for rear speakers only but couldn’t find anything. I was looking at Focal 165 A3 3 ways, but totally open for suggestions on other sub $400 component speakers, 2 or 3 way. Basically listen to every genre of music. All help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a 74, 1802 when I was stationed in Germany during the mid 80's the same color! Paid the equivalent of $550 and drove it all over Europe for about 2 & 1/2 years. When I left to come back stateside I sold it for - get this... $550! Lotta great memories in that car your post stirred up! Thank you! Fantastic little car!

As far as the your system thoughts... well I don't know. I wouldn't spend too much time or money if the only locations are the rear parcel shelf. Mine somebody cut the door cards but if yours haven't been cut I certainly don't blame you for wanting to leave it original. How about something simple like this is the kick panel area?

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what you come up with. Enjoy!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 74, 1802 when I was stationed in Germany during the mid 80's the same color! Paid the equivalent of $550 and drove it all over Europe for about 2 & 1/2 years. When I left to come back stateside I sold it for - get this... $550! Lotta great memories in that car your post stirred up! Thank you! Fantastic little car!

As far as the your system thoughts... well I don't know. I wouldn't spend too much time or money if the only locations are the rear parcel shelf. Mine somebody cut the door cards but if yours haven't been cut I certainly don't blame you for wanting to leave it original. How about something simple like this is the kick panel area?

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what you come up with. Enjoy!
That’s awesome! I cannot imagine being able to drive one on the Autobahn, etc!

as far as those Pioneer speakers, I’d like for everything to blend in as much as possible. You’re right, I’m definitely not going to go crazy with it, but would still like some nice sound. The speakers there now don’t sound horrible, horrible, just bad :) I know I can improve on it just definitely would love advice on this location/setup and how to make it the best it can be knowing it will never be ideal

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
From what I can see that car looks very well done so I fully understand why you don’t want to cut. Sometimes we just have to accept that we really need to compromise when it comes to not tearing up what we care about. So with that being the case I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Also can you post some side / front photos when if possible ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Totally agree and it does come with a bit of compromise. In your experience if I went went 2-way components and had the tweeters up front with the mid bass in the rear shelf would that throw off sound a noticeable bit? I would just be running them passive. Here’s a side shot of her.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Totally agree and it does come with a bit of compromise. In your experience if I went went 2-way components and had the tweeters up front with the mid bass in the rear shelf would that throw off sound a noticeable bit? I would just be running them passive. Here’s a side shot of her. View attachment 288999
Sweet! Let's see under the hood too. Did you do this or was it bought this way? And not to sound rude but what would you say something like this is worth? Next to a Triumph Spitfire I had in high school this is the most fun car I ever had! I think it topped out @ around 180km on the autobahn. Porsche's & big Beemer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts