DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're putting together a '69 Chevy C10. I've decided to bag it and do a blow through for a pair of JBL W15GTi MK1 subs. I've never built or designed a blow through. I'm figuring on cutting a rectangular hole through the front of the bed and the back of thre cab.

I need help with box volumes and port shapes. I also need ideas on how to seal the hole for the port. The fuel tank is not going to be behind the seat.

Any help would be appreciated because before we paint it is the time to cut thre holes...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C10 sounds like it will be awesome. Not sure if you have 20hrs to watch videos but Doug makes me laugh.
I've spent well more than 20 hrs watching that turd blower!!! I anxiously await his new videos.

With that said, I like the way he used PVC to pipe lows into the cabin but I've also seen where people cut a rectangle as a "port". I'm just lost, all together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've spent well more than 20 hrs watching that turd blower!!! I anxiously await his new videos.

With that said, I like the way he used PVC to pipe lows into the cabin but I've also seen where people cut a rectangle as a "port". I'm just lost, all together.
I may be able to offer some pro’s and con’s on this and know a lot of history on pass through’s- where the original ideas 1st came from and have a lot of old school experience in this area- sorry but a old man here. Sorry to be lengthy and I hope this is helpful, if not no problem 😉
1st off Seeing you are working with a 69 my thought is the value of a older truck which I hold dear which I would push a port through design- once a cab is cut its cut- when we did my personal cut through in the early 80’s it was a heartbreaking experience. I was young and a working stiff and this was my 1st new used truck but the end result was damn good and we completed with that pu for probably 8 years till kids and marriage kick in!
1st cons , with my pass through we fought water issues majority- Florida go figure!- we got the best boots at the time that were available but it’s tough to control and had to rebuild the box twice.
2- body to bed flex, no matter which design this will be a constant concern- more of worry with the port design versus pass through.
3- body rigidity- high hp? Are worried about flex etc? If not then pass through is not a concern
4 - No matter what you do if you are hunting SQ, DO NOT go with a bench seat in your cab. If the bench is a must do the ports and go high amperage, as I stated we did a pass through and I never could solve the bass cancellation issues- if you can- no need to haul family etc, buckets are best and the sound will be strong either way. The best pass through I ever heard - and I loved my setup and it brought us a lot of trophies- was a pass through that was done by Paul Newman and his group of guys out of Dothan Alabama, we were really close friends on the competition circuit and we spent a lot of time together listening to a lot vehicles together and he got it right with his pass through which I believe was a Toyota (not his personal BWM low rider pickup) that they built, but the pass was much larger in size than ours.
4- size of pass through cut- unfortunately larger will be bettered, ours was aprx 12”x maybe 16” with the 1st design being 4 12” in a ported design firing toward the cut - again no box programs existed- hell we had installers using turtle’s to tune sub boxes back then( not us! But a true story) so a lot of trial and error ,the second design was 8 10” in in two equally divided seal enclosures inside of the box to pass through.
pros
1st with the port design this is the easiest tuning IMHO the port size will be in your computer box designing and will be the easiest to tune to your preferences,
2- appearance IMHO there is nothing cooler looking than a pass through and going old school with plexi to show off the enclosure And subs in the bed, put in a crazy large cap bank and amps in the area around or behind the pas through the amount of people that would walk by scoping out the bed to cab to see what you have will make you grin .

Some history on the original idea to cut a cab and how it was conceived by two (I expect I **** storm here but the facts are the facts and I know the history on this!) installers that attended the original Rockford RTTI institute traveling training one was form north Florida and one from central Florida which is where mine was cut, this idea was brought to me after a lengthy back and forth- I did not want a behind the seat box. We done several of these boxes between the seat back and cab and I wanted something different, when we took this truck to north fla to show what and how we did it the response was very positive and both shops were very please with output and sound- we never put high power to either design we had - the 1st setup for this truck was a single original series punch 45 with the old school chrome cover with a fan and we made that amp work hard but it performed strong for us.

sorry to be long , but either way you will enjoy this type of setup, it’s just what do you want to cut, if it was me and my history and was building a truck that was to be with me for long time—-I would cut a pass through in a heartbeat!!
Best to you👍 Let us know what you decide and post pictures!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Littlejc Thanks for the informative reply! I've decided to cut the holes in the '69. Honestly, once I decided to cut the frame to bag it, all practically went out the window so, subs in the bed made sense...

This truck holds no sentimental value like my '03 Ram does. I know it sounds strange but it's true. Thre idea of the '69 is more of a showcase truck for my body shop. I'm hoping it'll drum up some business!

With all that said, I was perusing the ole interwebs and found something of interest. And I ask you all, how would my JBL W15GTi's perform in a true IB like this?...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts