DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I currently have been running (2) JL 10W6V2's in a custom ported box I had made. While I love the subs, I am finally at the stage in my life where I want to have my trunk space back. So, I am looking to do a stealth install in my 2015 Scion TC. SQ is very important to me, however I am a bass-head and want something that will be loud as well. This is the reason I chose JL W6's in the first place. I am hoping that you guys can recommend a sub for me that is excellent in SQ, but will get comparably loud to my 10W6's in a smaller sealed enclosure. I was considering doing a ported enclosure built to the sub, however if I ever want to swap the sub out for a different one it may not perform well in a specifically tuned ported enclosure.

I was planning to have a custom fiberglass enclosure built similar to the JL Stealth Box. I am not too sure of the specific specs on the stealth box, but I was thinking I could make my fiberglass one a little larger and get between 1.5-2 cu ft. I may also be able to get some more mounting depth if I do it this way. Basically, picture the stealth box in the link above, just sticking out a little further.

I have a few main questions:

1. What is a single good SQ sub that would be comparable to my 10w6's?
  2. Is there anyone on the forums that does custom fiberglass box builds, or would I be better having it made locally?
  3. Is there any reason I should do a ported/vented enclosure if I plan to change subs in the future?
  4. What things am I not considering with this build?

The two subs I have been considering lately are the IDMAX 12 or 15, or possibly a JL 12W7. Any opinion on these? Are there better options for what I am looking to do?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer your recommendation!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Sundown SD-3 10 is worth a look. On the stealth/space side of things they only need around 0.5 cu/ft sealed, have a mounting depth under 5" and have a reverse-roll surround for less front-clearance. On the sq side they have under-hung motors with shorting rings. Haven't heard one myself but a few people here run them and really like them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts