DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help deciding on a set of components for my 2007 Tundra DC. Like everyone else I swimming in a sea of options, looking to purchase online, and don't have the ability to audition all speakers. So experience and opinions here would be appreciated. I plan on putting the mid's and tweet's in the stock locations and my current setup is below. I am also running an active setup, but would be willing to switch back to passive for the right reasons. My budget is $200-$300 and I would like to purchase them off of Amazon since I have some gift card $$$. My preference right now is to find a set with soft dome tweeters or that aren't too harsh. Let me know what you think! BTW I am open to any and all suggestions on my setup!

Current Setup
HU: Pioneer Avic F920BT
Main AMP: Zed Audio Leviathan(Ver1-Updated by Stephen) Front Active +Sub
Front Speakers: Dayton RS180-4 + Vifa XT25 (1 is bad)
Sub: JL Audio 13TW5-3 (13.5 Shallow Mount in Sealed Box)
Rear Fill: Boss 4ch Havoc AMP by ZED and Focal 165VB
Sound Deadening: Going in with new speakers - Second Skin?? Dynamat??
DSP: Still under consideration

Components I am looking at
Morel Tempo 6 2 Way Component - $229
Rainbow Audio SLC 265.25 NG - $319 (kicks??? other models??)
Hertz Energy ESK 165 - $220
Focal ????
Other Options???

Components I have had
Focal PolyKevlar 165KP
Focal Polyglass 165VRS

·
2,103 Posts
I LOVE the Rainbow SLC and use them constantly. While the tweeters are bright on axis, they are very adjustable from the SLC crossover (if running passive, active...easy adjustment). Midbass output is outstanding in a sealed door. I would probably run the standard model 265.25 NG depending on crossover points. If you have a Rainbow dealer close to you, buying authorized is the ONLY way to go, especially for only a slight bit more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the dayton/vifa setup quite a bit. I think the SQ is excellent. For me I think the biggest down fall is having to run the tweeters at such a low frequency. They tend to break up a little bit when you start to turn the volume up. I don't crank my volume very often, but when I do I would like for it to handle it a little better. The Focal Polykev's took the power better, but I think the sound quality on the dayton/vifa is better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cobb Appreciate the feedback. To be honest I am leaning towards the Rainbow's, but I have no experience with them. I would love to find someone or somewhere locally to hear them. If I could get the Germaniums in my price range it would be a done deal, but that is wishfull thinking. BTW I could't find anything on Rainbows site, but can you explain the difference of the kick model? I see that the crossover range on the low end is a little higher, but not sure what else there is. Also I normally cross my sub a little lower, 63hz to 70hz range.

·
2,103 Posts
The kicks put a little more emphasis on the 80-180hz range (if I remember correctly), and cannot be run as low as the standard NGs. Other than that, I honestly cannot tell you as I have not used the Kicks for a customer, because I have had such great luck with the Standard NGs. The Germaniums are great, I did a set Bi-Amped in a VW Beetle in December for a customer, and she was AMAZED especially since I talked her out of getting a sub; however, I can see how the price tag is a little scary.

Come on down to ABQ and you can hear a set of SLCs. Also have an SLC 3-Way set running fully active with a Rainbow Cal 27 tweeter, available to audition. Insane stage!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking ABQ is a little too far away to listen to some speakers. :) There is a dealer in Denver, but I am not sure if they stock them or not, I might have to give them a call. BTW have you used any of the other Rainbows? Specifically the SAC line or lower than the SLC? Also is the CAL27 that much better? Since I am running active I have been thinking about buying pieces the speakers separately to build my own set and save some money by not having to buy the passive crossover in the set.

·
2,103 Posts
I am thinking ABQ is a little too far away to listen to some speakers. :) There is a dealer in Denver, but I am not sure if they stock them or not, I might have to give them a call. BTW have you used any of the other Rainbows? Specifically the SAC line or lower than the SLC? Also is the CAL27 that much better? Since I am running active I have been thinking about buying pieces the speakers separately to build my own set and save some money by not having to buy the passive crossover in the set.
The Cal 27 is amazing, but I think I bought the last raw set, and they're also $500 a pair +or-. The Cal 26 is a great tweeter (Profi / Vanatium) as is the Cal 25 VOF (Germaniums)!!

The SAC are nice, a little more "detailed" as I think is common with metal cones, but less of a natural kick. Other than that, I still stick with the SLC. Plus, the SAC are actually more expensive. I've got a set of the X-Plain 6.5" mids on the way for a Mercedes, and I've used the X-Plain 8" and really loved them. Other than those, the SAX, SLX, are their entry level, and sound great, but I think the Sound Lines would be a more logical choice, based on your previously used components and what you currently have.

PDA, the dealer in Denver, I cannot speak to, might be worth a call. If you'd like some more info on the SAC and SLC differences, PM Don (aka 6SpdCoupe).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ran the h audio xsoul2 combo in my 2008 tundra for a bit and loved how they sounded even though they weren't quite broken in. The x2 fits perfectly in the dash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds interesting, do you have any links to posts regarding this setup? Any reason you took them out of your Tundra? If so what did you replace them with? Anway I will start researching the x2's now. Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
The SLCs have been, bar none, the best seller for me and many other dealers for years now. Plenty of punch, sweet top end and a plethora of flexibility on the passives. All within a modest price range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don,

Appreciate the response. The Rainbows are sounding like the way I want to go. I know they have been a big seller for you, is there anything else you would reccomend over these or is there anything else in a similar price range that you would consider as good as the rainbows or a close second?

Next thing I am looking at is price also. If someone on here can give me a better deal on a good set of Rainbow SLC's I would consider going that direction instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in a similar boat man. Have a 2011 Tunda DC and am planning a system. Been looking at the Rainbow's pretty hard, but have no where near me to demo them. The dealer that's doing my install is going to demo some Focal's for me, but I'm still thinking about the Rainbows. Been looking all the way up to their Vandium line, but still don't know what exactly to get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OconusFocus. I would be curious to hear what you end up doing with your setup. Are you planning on putting your speakers in the stock location? How you seal your doors and so forth. Also I would reccomend looking at some of the Tundra forums to see what others have done. I ended up using the seat flip down mod and building an amp rack for my truck like several of the other members have. I am really glad I did it, my amps are in there really clean and they are very easy to get to and adjust if needed. If you would like to see some pictures let me know I can see what I can do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so I am needing some input on CDT's. I haven't heard of or seen CDT's so if someone has some experience in these I would appreciate it. The model that was reccomended to me is the CDT Audio HD-62CF 6.5" Carbon Fiber Component Set. Not sure about carbon fiber cones, but the came with a pretty good reccomendation and they are american made.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts