DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be starting a nice little install here soon in my tC. I havn't really ever done this caliber of install before and i needed some help on choosing sizes of wiring, fuses, distrobution blocks, and grounding and all.

As it looks right now i'll be using 140amps b/w the 2 amps that i have right now, 70amps from each amp. So that means i will need a power wire with a 140amp fuse then a d-block with lets say 3-4 splits on it, (just for later additions) and do each of those runs need to be fused as well? I was thinking mabey 1/0 for the initial power wire, then splitting into 4awg for each run. Is that right, or am i totally off on a tangent somewhere?

Also what company can i get everything i need too for a very low cost, and still have fairly high quality components. I've looked into knukoncepts, thats the only company i know of really......All help is greatly appreciated.

And correct me if i'm wrong anywhere.........

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
www.darvex.com
www.knukonceptz.com
www.partsexpress.com (for fuses and battery terminals @ cheap $$)

Now, the only thing I can see wrong is your reasoning on fuse ratings...you dont use a fuse that equals your total amperage. You use a fuse that is based on the gauge wire you use. The fuse is to protect the length of wire its connected to. And since you are wanting to run a D block, then might as well get a fused D block for extra protection. The only fuses you may need are within 18" of the battery lead, and your fused D-block. Your amps already have fuses to protect them. Here is a basic rundown of fuse ratings and wire gauges:

6mm (9 ga): 25A
10mm (7 ga): 40A
16 mm (5 ga): 60A
21 mm (4 ga): 100A
33mm (2 ga): 150A
42mm (1 ga): 200A

Now these are MAX ratings, so you can actually use a smaller amp fuse on your wire, just cant go above the MAX ratings or you can cause a fire to happen!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ok, I was basically getting the notion from my amp manuals because of the Max current draw of the amps. So what would be my best bet to use then? Each of the amps looks like the power and grounds to be 4awg openings, thats really all i know.

I don't know too much on the electrical side of things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.