DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought this 8W7 from this guy and he claimed it was in perfect working condition. When i fired it up, it made this funny buzzing sound so i knew something was wrong. I opened it up and it seems like the spider was ripped and he tried to glue it back together. I've attached a few pictures, let me know what you guys think. Thanks

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
Problems like that sometimes happen if the sub was originally purchased from a non authorized dealer that opened it up to remove the hidden serial number. In any case the sub will need to be rebuilt by JL and they may refuse to fix it if in fact the serial number has been removed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Problems like that sometimes happen if the sub was originally purchased from a non authorized dealer that opened it up to remove the hidden serial number. In any case the sub will need to be rebuilt by JL and they may refuse to fix it if in fact the serial number has been removed.
Actually they will still fix it without the serial number. They will just charge an extra fee to give it a new one. At least it's that way with the amps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that was the case, because it came in a JL Box and a JL Shipping carton, both of which had the serials removed. Anyone know how much it is to fix? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If I recall correctly, it'll be about as much as the new one costs, a bit less maybe.
Sorry man. :(

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yep.,..you're basically looking at all new softparts+labor.

·
Registered
933 Posts
from JL... prices to re-serialize a product: $xx for a dealer, $50 retail...

price to repair an 8w7 out of warrenty: $xxx for a dealer, $215 retail

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hey Bass, thanks for the info. Sorry i'm in California, and a 12 is way too much for me. Also, where is the serial number on the unit?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hey Bass, thanks for the info. Sorry i'm in California, and a 12 is way too much for me. Also, where is the serial number on the unit? And does it come with a 1 year warranty after they fix it?

·
Registered
933 Posts
re serialization carries a 90 day parts and labor warrenty from the date of return shipment. And the serial number is on the outside of the basket between the spider and the magnet

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
re serialization carries a 90 day parts and labor warrenty from the date of return shipment. And the serial number is on the outside of the basket between the spider and the magnet
From what I understand there is also one on the inside which is why some online sellers end up damaging the spiders when trying to remove it. :(

·
Registered
933 Posts
From what I understand there is also one on the inside which is why some online sellers end up damaging the spiders when trying to remove it. :(
im examining a w7 and cant seem to find it. Any info on whereabouts it may be?

·
Old Schooler
962 Posts
I've never looked inside one so I couldn't say (that info was from the owner of the local shop)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts