DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys im almost finished my first box and its been a success except in my reading the other night i came across something i should have thought of initially.

it's a 2x12" rectangular sealed box, with a divider that ive cut the middle out of, basically just a 4 sided brace, the idea with this was that the box was already pushing the minimum limits for acceptable size for my 2 polk sr124dvc's, and by cutting most of the divider away it would be about perfect.

now what i didn't consider is of course if one sub fails, then the other will see a massive enclosure and could well be damaged. now what im wondering is since the subs are 4ohm dvc,

could i simply hook each sub up with parallel voice coil wiring (so each sub presents a final 2ohm load) then connect the amp to the subs in series, which should bring it back up to 4ohm, this should mean that once sub failing should open the circuit and both subs will stop playing correct?

the polk manual recommends connecting voice coils in series for 8ohm per sub then connecting the amp in parallel, if this is a noticably better option for any reasons i have overlooked i will have to seal up the hole on both side (to maintain = box volume) then add some polyfill to try and bring the box up a bit, i would like to avoid this.

thoughts? thanks in advance to those much more knowledgeable than me

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
I'd wire each sub in series, then parallel.

If your subs fail, buy 2 more or separate the chambers and add some polyfil.

Box volume: 1.15 cubic feet (per chamber)
Total box volume: 2.29 cubic feet
Dimensions: 12"TD x 15-3/4"BD x 30"W x 13-1/2"H

The Q changes as a product of the impedance of the system, which is altered because a stuffed box has a higher acoustic impedance than one that isn't stuffed. You can see how it functions in modeling programs that allow you to see the effect of various damping material thickness and resistivity index.
The stuffing acts very much like a resistor, in that it's a passive component that can't add anything to system output, it can only take away, and in this case what it takes away is the midbass hump. That's quite different from a larger box, which acts as an active component and therefore can add to system output and/or low frequency extension, taming a midbass hump in the process.
As to the isothermic/adiabiatic explanantion of how stuffing works, IMO that's off the mark. Stuffing doesn't lower Q by a heat conversion process. Rather, the heat created is the product of the higher friction of dense fibers vibrating in the box compared to air. Thus the created heat is a symptom of the process, and not the process itself.
Fairfield POLY-FIL Polyester Fiber for stuffing New 20 oz Pkg | eBay

1 - 2 of 2 Posts