DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help choosing amps for my system. I'm looking for matching (as in same brand/series amps for my frontstage and sub) For example I was planning on using the JL Audio HD amps for ease of use (I dont really understand ohm's :rolleyes:) But I have read you can get "wayyy" better for the price. Just want to know what the "wayyy" better is? I'd like to keep it around the same price range but willing to go up if it's like "day/night" comparison. I don't mind looking into used equipment either. Here is the budget. Also I can be somewhat generous for anyone going the extra mile for me :)

Fronstage budget ~$700
Substage budget ~$1500

Plan on going active, I currently have a JBL MS-8, a pair Hybrid Audio L4SE and a pair of L6SE for front-stage. Also have a set of Hybrid Audio Imagine series for rear-fill. ( Don't necessarily need to be amplified, I'm ok just running off the MS-8) My sub stage is two JL Audio 12w7. Here are some links with specs to the speakers. Thanx in advance for any advice!

MS-8
JBL - MS-8 - System Integration Digital Processor

Hybrid Audio L4SE
Legatia L4SE Speaker Set - 12v Electronics

L6SE
Legatia L6SE Speaker Set - 12v Electronics

Imagine (Bonus points if it's amplified :p)
http://12velectronics.com/docs/Imagine_Manual.pdf

JL 12w7 (x2)
12W7-3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - W7 - JL Audio

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the JL 600/4 and for what I payed for it used I think it's definitely worth the money. You can get them easily for under $500 used. I also have the Hybrid L6's although not the L6se which by specs has a higher sensitivity rating. I bring this up because the only issue with the setup I have is that it doesn't get quite loud enough for me. Personally with the L6's I would want closer to 200 watts per channel. With the L6se's you may not need as much which is a big reason I am contemplating upgrading. The 600/4 has its benefits of being small and efficient. There are certainly other amps you should look at, but the HD amps are not a bad choice.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
What are your goals for this system? SQ, SPL, both?

People always say you can get way better for the price but most of those people have never run high end gear.

The HD gives a lot of power, surpasses rated power, has RIPS technology, a nice crossover section, class D efficiency, small enough to fit under just about any seat, will not thermal off even in the 110 degree summers, great SQ and dynamics, gives the same power at any impedance, very low noise floor, and they're trouble free.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper amp with one or two of these qualities but look for another amp that combines all of these qualities and chances are they're going to be more expensive than the HDs.

There are much more expensive amps than the HD out there that make less power, have a higher noise floor, etc. The HD is more of a mid priced amp anyway. Comparing it back to back with my McIntosh I would take the HD any day. I personally think the HD is a great value.

I love the W7s, great choice in subs. Again, a product that does everything well. It's an SQ sub that happens to get very loud and sound great doing it. They're bullet proof as well. I ran my 12W6s for nearly 7 years in just about every enclosure configuration and never had a problem with them. Just make sure to put them in the proper box.

You'll find that some people hate JL around here, some just hate expensive stuff in general as I'm learning with my Dyns. I don't think I've ever gotten as much grief as when I owned a pair of 12W6s. I decided to actually try some of the subs suggested that were "way better for half the price" and most of them sucked.

·
Registered
919 Posts
The HD's are GREAT amps, people who say there is way better probably have little experience with the HD's due to their price.

With the amount of money you want to spend another option would be: Zed Leviathan 150watts x 6 channels for fronts active and rear fill, Zed Dreadnaught bridge to two channels 800 watts x 2 channels for subs. $1750 retail for both.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/QUOTE]

SQ first, SPL secto be dond. This is going aily driver for long commutes but I still want to be able to turn it up to 11 every now and then! :cool:;) Thank you for your input! It seems like the only downside to these amps is the price. Which honestly I think the price is reasonable for everything I need, and in a small reliable unit.

What types of amps have you looked into upgrading too? If you don't mind me asking

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The HD's are GREAT amps, people who say there is way better probably have little experience with the HD's due to their price.

With the amount of money you want to spend another option would be: Zed Leviathan 150watts x 6 channels for fronts active and rear fill, Zed Dreadnaught bridge to two channels 800 watts x 2 channels for subs. $1750 retail for both.
Thank you for your input, I'll look into those again. Seems a little bit more for a similar product. Seems well respected though.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

SQ first, SPL secto be dond. This is going aily driver for long commutes but I still want to be able to turn it up to 11 every now and then! :cool:;) Thank you for your input! It seems like the only downside to these amps is the price. Which honestly I think the price is reasonable for everything I need, and in a small reliable unit.

What types of amps have you looked into upgrading too? If you don't mind me asking
With the same speakers in the same car I've run an Interfire, JL e6450, McIntosh 430, and the 2 HDs in my sig. Its lind of disappointing but I just can't hear much of a difference in SQ between the cheapest $100 Interfire and the $1500 Mac after the MS8 flattens everything out. I can hear an improvement in dynamics with more power so I've learned to run more power than I'll ever need.

The other difference is in noise floor. The HD has practically none.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I had HUGE problems with my JL HDs picking up noise from other amps. Thats pretty much the only downside to them I can think of.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had HUGE problems with my JL HDs picking up noise from other amps. Thats pretty much the only downside to them I can think of.
What do you mean by noise? Like static sounding from power or what? Sorry, again new to this obsession. Also was it from another HD amp or something else?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i personally love my jbl ms amps (two 4ch, mono) but i don't think the mono would have the power you are looking for to run a pair of w7 - it is only 500. the 4ch is 100x4.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i personally love my jbl ms amps (two 4ch, mono) but i don't think the mono would have the power you are looking for to run a pair of w7 - it is only 500. the 4ch is 100x4.
Yes i looked into them. The 4 channel is very appealing but no matching sub amp with enough power :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With the same speakers in the same car I've run an Interfire, JL e6450, McIntosh 430, and the 2 HDs in my sig. Its lind of disappointing but I just can't hear much of a difference in SQ between the cheapest $100 Interfire and the $1500 Mac after the MS8 flattens everything out. I can hear an improvement in dynamics with more power so I've learned to run more power than I'll ever need.

The other difference is in noise floor. The HD has practically none.
Yes I have though about at what point is there actually a significant audible difference in car audio.. I wish i had money to experiment for myself.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Depending on what car you have, you can run the W7s infinite baffle which will require half or less power. I currently run my pair of 15s IB off of the 500w sub channel of the HD900/5 and its way more than enough power. 300w each on the W7 should be plenty. I'll model it tomorrow if you're interested. Plus you'll lose practically no trunk space.

I've heard of problems of the HDs interfering with FM reception if placed too close to the antenna. I've never had an issue but mine are unser the seats.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depending on what car you have, you can run the W7s infinite baffle which will require half or less power. I currently run my pair of 15s IB off of the 500w sub channel of the HD900/5 and its way more than enough power. 300w each on the W7 should be plenty. I'll model it tomorrow if you're interested. Plus you'll lose practically no trunk space.

I've heard of problems of the HDs interfering with FM reception if placed too close to the antenna. I've never had an issue but mine are unser the seats.
Ya I don't know exactly what you mean by model? But I'm very interested in finding out whatever I can! I don't have a head unit in my system, iphone only as source. I'm purposefully not using one because I drive a 94 Civic (Commonly Broken into in my area) So if I leave the dash with no head unit and the wiring hanging out, it's less likely to be broken into lol long story short I'm not worried about FM ha but thanks for all the info! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depending on how you are running your subs (infinite baffle, sealed box, ported box) an ARC SE2300 would be a perfect match for that 4200. They are exactly the same chassis size.

Solid clean power...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts