DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 cummins that i am attempting to put a system in. The local stereo shop sold me a pair of JL 10W1-v34's and a box that fit under my rear seat. they sold me a JD600/1mono amp which i have since replaced with a XD 1000/5vd2 amp. I have a kenwood DDX 8906s deck and kenwood component speakers in the doors. when i first heard the subs i was incredibly disappointed. It sucked. after looking at the box they sold me it looked to small for the .55 cu ft that each sub requires in a sealed box. I wasn't sure because i don't know how to calculate air space on such a irregular shape. I decided to build my own out of fiberglass after watching several videos and it turned out great. i molded it to the same shape that fits perfectly under my rear seat and added a spacer for the rear seat and could tell i had way more air space, it's 100 times better than it was but it just still does not sound quite right with some distortion and sounds kind of loose to me. i fear the box is now to big and overall I am still not impressed and was hoping for louder better sounding bass. i've heard good things about the subs and i just feel like its the box but dont know where to go from here. any help is appreciated and yes I am definitely a novice when it comes to car audio.

·
Registered
2003 Jetta Wagon
793 Posts
what are the subs crossed over at? it could very well be a tuning problem.

If the tuning is fine then i think what you are experiencing is entry level subs with weak motors. what you are describing doesn't sound like the box being too big, it also doesn't sound like you are hitting the mechanical limits of the subs.

to calculate the air space you can use packing peanuts, water, sand, whatever fits then dump it into gallon jugs or 5 gallon pails and do the math from there. if you are worried the box may be too big put some pieces of 2x4 in there to take up space and give it another listen.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Yeah, you need to let us know what the crossover is set at on both the head unit, and amp. Do either the head unit or amp have any bass boost, or EQ set? Are you confident that the boxes are 100% sealed, including where the sub mounts to the box? A leaky box will be a problem.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It's those w1's man. They are jl audio's worst sub. Hands down that they have ever put out.
The only way they sound decent is ported in the mid 30s with a steep high-pass at 25 or 30 hertz.
Grab a couple tw3 10s and rock out. With the space you have you could do ported if you wanted and legit rattle eyeballs with 2.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,792 Posts
It's those w1's man. They are jl audio's worst sub. Hands down that they have ever put out.
The only way they sound decent is ported in the mid 30s with a steep high-pass at 25 or 30 hertz.
Grab a couple tw3 10s and rock out. With the space you have you could do ported if you wanted and legit rattle eyeballs with 2.
That’s funny, I’ve had this 13w1 powerwedge for years now and used to like it a lot. It’s tuned to like 27 hz or something low and seriously pounds. I was in love with it until I got a Dayton Reference 10”, now I can’t stand the way the powerwedge sounds and just keep it around because it’s a collector’s item to me.

Audio equipment Motor vehicle Studio monitor Gas Portable stove

1 - 6 of 6 Posts