DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 2014 mercedes sprinter van. The front of the cab is separate from the back with a wall dividing it. It has nice jvc stereo monitor.
I'm looking to install a 12 or 15" sub somewhere. Hi or on floor. For component speakers I'm looking at infinity for mid and tweeter and JL for sub. No thoughts on amp and for sub or mids and tweeters. I want to spend less than$1500. Any advice on anything? Thsnks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
I just bought 2014 mercedes sprinter van. The front of the cab is separate from the back with a wall dividing it. It has nice jvc stereo monitor.
I'm looking to install a 12 or 15" sub somewhere. Hi or on floor. For component speakers I'm looking at infinity for mid and tweeter and JL for sub. No thoughts on amp and for sub or mids and tweeters. I want to spend less than$1500. Any advice on anything? Thsnks in advance.
Maybe to come up with a plan, before just ordering stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
^^^This is the whole purpose of his post lol. To help plan his build. Jarrod , if you can fit 8’s in the doors I say go for it, if not 7’s and if that’s still too big 6.5 will do it . I’m guessing you want to use passive crossover units or you plan on doing a simple 2-way active plus sub? I have used infinity in the past and they were good as a first set but quickly outgrew them and was ready for something better. You can get a lot of your future equipment here in the org.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
^^^This is the whole purpose of his post lol. To help plan his build.
All I am ax’in is to not get over enamoured in gear too soon…

OP:
  • What SPL do you need/want?
  • Will it be listened to more when driving, or more when parked up?
  • Is it a camper van? Or a Tradesman’s van?
  • i.e.how are you using it?
  • Etc

Reactions: DoubleCrown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I am ax’in is to not get over enamoured in gear too soon…

OP:
  • What SPL do you need/want?
  • Will it be listened to more when driving, or more when parked up?
  • Is it a camper van? Or a Tradesman’s van?
  • i.e.how are you using it?
  • Etc
Plumbing work van
Always driving
All types of music
Want a really bright sound and plenty of bass

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
when you say a sub Hi or on the floor? When you say mounting high, where would the placement end up? Is there space between (center console) or behind the two seats for a sub?

·
Registered
139 Posts
It sounds like you're describing steven's audio mb series speakers ( i have the mb8 in 2 ohm they also make the 6.5 in 2 ohm and 4 ohm) if you can go with 8's if possible plenty of loud and clear , i got to sleep with a ringing in my ears . For tweeters i have the sounds solutions evil1 in 4ohm version very clear and loud not too bright though , for loud clear and bright i recommend the infinity kappa 10.9t , i had those years ago and they were awesome and very bright but excellent sq, as for amps i have the skar audio rp 600.5 class a/b channels 1-4 and class d channel 5. powering everything active with exellent sq and very loud ,maybe try the d'amore engeerniring e-400-4 that's the amp i plan on getting next. For sub you can go to ebay and get a boston acoustics g2 or g3-12 for under $200 shipped very good subs in a sealed for. I have those as well. Your looking at about $650 for one 5 channel and , 2 tweeters , 2 8" mids and a single 12" sub , speaker wire , interconnect cables and amp powering kit is extra.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Running an active capable head unit is gonna make all the difference in the world , you will have many crossover options, slopes , and many more features at your finger tips and can change them on the fly , passive crossover boxes are very limited and have these settings fixed and cannot be changed. Tweeter attenuation is all you get with a passive crossover unit , that ain't enough .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when you say a sub Hi or on the floor? When you say mounting high, where would the placement end up? Is there space between (center console) or behind the two seats for a sub?
Yes plenty of space on floor. I was just leaving options open.
The cab of the van is tall. I probably have 3' feet of head room. I was thinking of leaving stock mids and tweeters in door and dashboard and building a box to put above my head for 4 more component mids and tweeters. Could I put 2 mids 2 tweeters in ssme box??? Maybe put 1-2 twelve " subs between seets

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Running an active capable head unit is gonna make all the difference in the world , you will have many crossover options, slopes , and many more features at your finger tips and can change them on the fly , passive crossover boxes are very limited and have these settings fixed and cannot be changed. Tweeter attenuation is all you get with a passive crossover unit , that ain't enough .
So your saying not to use the crossovers that come with speakers? Connect right to the stereo so you can adjust the equalizer yourself?

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Yes plenty of space on floor. I was just leaving options open.
The cab of the van is tall. I probably have 3' feet of head room. I was thinking of leaving stock mids and tweeters in door and dashboard and building a box to put above my head for 4 more component mids and tweeters. Could I put 2 mids 2 tweeters in ssme box??? Maybe put 1-2 twelve " subs between seets
Ah… no…
A decent tweeter can make one go somewhat deaf in hours, when cranked up.

Either use the factory locations and run single pairs of tweeters, MR, and if woofers fit… then them too.
Or run the woofer/“Midbass” (MB) in the doors or your overhead box or somewhere else.

One could put speakers in a sail panel, but for starting out just get tweeter and MR with twice the quality and run them where they fit with no modifications… (IMO)

It would be more sensible to jig saw an 18” to 24” hole in the floor and run a big sub as IB, than to run multiple pairs of tweeters and MR speakers.

Even though it’s a plumbing van, you do not want it to sound like …. ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is this a diy build? For the sake of both your wallet and sanity, plan out what you want to achieve sound wise. Then plan a system to acheive your goals. If you just want loud and clear with plenty of bass, I would look at any tweeter that will fit with a fs of 1000 or lower, 6-7inch mid and what ever sub you choose IB in the dividing wall. If you up you buget a tad you could consider a 5 chan DSP amp.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Is this a diy build? For the sake of both your wallet and sanity, plan out what you want to achieve sound wise. Then plan a system to acheive your goals. If you just want loud and clear with plenty of bass, I would look at any tweeter that will fit with a fs of 1000 or lower, 6-7inch mid and what ever sub you choose IB in the dividing wall. If you up you buget a tad you could consider a 5 chan DSP amp.
That’s 1kHz Fs for a tweeter is ambitious… but other than that I agree.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm going a bit further than that , by suggesting you buy raw drivers like mids from one company and tweeters from another company and make your own component set that would different from everyone else. I already went the route you're going and quickly outgrew components sets from the same company with the included passive x-over units they come with but i was very eager to learn and experiment with mixing and matching drivers if you get my drift. Not trying to stop you from getting a component set say from Jl audio or Infinity im just saying you can do a whole lot better if you piece your own set , you will get much better performance and many times for much cheaper , I know it almost sounds too good to be true but feel free to ask around the forum I what Im saying makes any sense. The first thing is to learn how to connect and active powered sound system where say a 4channel amp would power and feed 1 speaker per channel , yes you can easily blow tweeters and mids this way if you don't know what your doing but you can put together a very loud and high quality system if you take the time to learn and youre not afraid of going forward with an installation you've never done before , this was my case.

This are suggestion only don't take it too personal or serious , remember it's your money and vehicle not mine. I have the pioneers deh 80prs , running in active / network mode , i hooked everything up my self this way with zero experience in car audio but this entire platform of diymobile to assist me and others of course, it was a great learning curve and im still new to this but not as new as i was back them .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts