DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have just bought a JL audio system for my car (Nissan Pulsar 2001 sedan)

This is what I got installed:
*JL C2600 splits (front)
*JL C2600 (back)
*JL Audio JL CP212-W0v2 - Twin 12" Subs
*JL XD400/4 (for the speakers)
*JL XD600/1(For the Subs)
*JVC KR926bt (Head unit)

The person who originally installed the equipment did a horrible job, so the company I bought it from got another installer to fix it all up and it is ment to be all fixed and ready to go.

Here are some pictures of the settings the installer set the amps to, I turned down the gain because it sounded too loud.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

The volume on the head unit goes to level 50 but with the power from the amp it went really loud just at level 22, you could hear a quite hissing as well if the speakers dont have music playing (tell me what you think?)

The speakers sound quality sounds tinny when played at 3/4 volume and its like you can hear a really faint crackle or little scratchy noise at some higher frequencies?

Please help me guys its really annoying me & I wish I never wasted my money on it now, its just way too much hassle.

Thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
it looks like you gains are set at or near zero. make sure you have your HU at flat EQ if it has an EQ. no HU processing such as "LOUDNESS", "bass boost" etc. let the Amps do the work. if your Gains are set so low, i would assume you have something else infornt of them, like a line driver or preamp.

All i can think of that would help with the distortion is gain setting. Your X-over settings seem fine, though a bit high for the HPF just personal preference. Also as for the X-Overs i personally dont liek to leave a gap between X-Over points. you hve the Sub Amp LP at 80-90 ish and your HP at 120 your not allowing your speakers to play 80-120 Hz, that MAY be a reason for some tinniness. only an assumption though.

With Car Audio it IS a hobby, youre going to be spending a lot of time messing wuith settings. Especially if you want really good SQ. dont think of it as a waste of time.

have fun with the setup, keep us posted on how things turn out

CC

·
Registered
816 Posts
Unfortunately JL is not the SQ company they market it as. IMO their amps are pretty good ....but I've hated their main speakers. Subs are not bad for SQL. Do you have any local Nissan car clubs around? All car clubs have someone that knows audio ...probably won't cost you more than a Crown or VB.

>^..^<

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think the problem might be the ground being installed faulty? the speakers make a random tick/click/pop type of noise very faintly at random times through out a song.

I don't believe the speakers are damaged because all of them do it.

Do you guys reckon I should ring up head office & ask for a refund of my $450 that I had to pay for the install?

Because even though they have been willing to get other installers to help me, I have had to take a total of 5 days off work now and the install is still not correct! I have literally had to have spent hours on forums and learning how to tune car audio my self to get things near being correct, Very frustrating and disappointed about the whole situation.

On the plus side though I have learnt a lot about car audio & I am more trying to see it as a hobby then a stressful situation!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
So basically what you are saying to us is....

Now that you've forgone the DIY route and you "feel" you got screwed over by a "shop".

You are now here at DIYMA asking US to spend OUR time, trying to figure out YOUR mess that WE had NOTHING to do with in the first place...

It's funny how that works...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Now that you've forgone the DIY route and you "feel" you got screwed over by a "shop".

You are now here at DIYMA asking US to spend OUR time, trying to figure out YOUR mess that WE had NOTHING to do with in the first place...

What the? how did you get that response out of this thread?

I'll break it down for you if it's too complicated for you to comprehend.

I pay $450 for installation of audio equipment. The install was not done correctly hence my frustration & belief I should get a refund because I did not recieve the service I paid for.

I join a "CAR AUDIO FORUM" to ask for suggestions from people who have experience & knowledge which could help me in my situation. (no one has to help if they do not want to, just simply if they are kind enough & happy to do so)

You reply to my thread with a hostile attitude, insinuating I have created this mess? and now I am sitting back asking other people to clean it up?

The fact you read and replied with such a pointless condescending comment, makes me more then happy not to have any help/advice from you, being you are probably a complete F*** Wit!

Thanks though! haha

Anyone who acturally is willing to help or give me advice, it is much apprectiated!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys just a quick question if anybody can help.

I installed my front speakers with a plastic spacer & put dynamat on the back of the actural speaker just covering the top half (not sealing it, more like acting as an umbrella), its to work as a waterproof canopy to stop rain dripping on the back of them.

Is it okay to use dynamat like that? will it damage the speaker? I wouldn't think it would because its not sealing the speaker just being a mini roof, but thought I should ask to play it safe!

Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well if its either that or be exposed to rain, then you dont really have a choice. does it sound different with the dynamat on it? It wont hurt the speaker, but may change the sound.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts

^Totally uncalled for.

Steveo,

Shouldn't matter as long as it does not physically touch the speaker cone or block too much air.
How did you make out with your botched install problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah Jb Hifi helped me out and got it fixed by a real good bloke called Ally, He runs his own company at knox shopping centre called "Xtreme installs" he has a facebook page if anyone wanna check it out.

so in the end it all worked out! :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I currently use JL in one of my vehicles and have always found that I have to attenuate the tweeter by 6db and use eq. I usually reduce the mid and upper midrange area by 1-2db (800hz-3.2khz) and very slightly boost midbass by 1db between 80hz-200hz.

Also, your gains need to be adjusted, but also remember that today's music is recorded at much higher levels today when compared to a recording from the 1980's. I've found I can pretty much max out my volume with older recordings, but can only reach 70% volume on newer recordings before I hear clipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts